The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old June 5, 2012, 03:05 PM   #51
ClemBert

Not to pile on with regard to "accuracy" but I noted the aluminum horse shoes on all the horses as they charged forward just before the Battle of Grapevine scene (about 2/3rds the way though part three). I'm not sure when aluminum horse shoes became widely used but I know it wasn't in the 1880's.

Last edited by ClemBert; June 5, 2012 at 03:24 PM.
Old June 5, 2012, 03:42 PM   #52
Hardcase

ClemBert, my wife said exactly the same thing to me (after I ran on and on about the "Confederate" Remingtons). She also wondered about the saddles. She knows horses better than I know guns!
Old June 5, 2012, 05:46 PM   #53
ClemBert

Thankfully I don't own horses anymore. Something tells me ya know what I mean...wink, wink, wink

I feel much better dedicating my time, effort, and money on BP revolvers....hehehe.
Old June 5, 2012, 07:22 PM   #54
robhof

robhof

After hearing me comment on the guns, my wife spoke up about the saddles, as a horse person, she knew they took great liberties with their saddles.
Old June 6, 2012, 07:52 AM   #55
madcratebuilder

Quote:
My question to you is, from a historic standpoint, how late in the century do you think the cap n balls became relics in the minds of the gun-totin' citizenry? Would they have still been in common use?
The famous gun writer Elmer Keith started shooting hand guns in the late 1890's early 1900's. he started with cap and ball revolvers and commented that many of the 'old timers' still used the cap and ball as their primary revolver.
Old June 6, 2012, 11:16 AM   #56
buckhorn

hatfields, ect.

I've got 40 years of back-issue gun magazines setting around. Elmer Keith wrote for many of them and even had a monthly column in 'GUNS + AMMO'. I remember him saying that a lot of the "old timers' still carried 1860, old colt Navies, and Remington's c/b's around. And this was in the "10's and '20s. We both may have read some of the same articles he wrote. He was quite a guy and was deeply attached to his wife, of more than 50 years. I don't remember if he had any children, as he never mentioned any in his many articles I read about, or written by him. He was quite a man, that's for sure!
Old June 6, 2012, 11:54 AM   #57
Hardcase

Veering off course...

Speaking of Elmer Keith, if you ever get to Boise, Idaho, the Cabela's store has an excellent collection of his guns, along with a slightly cheesy animatronic Elmer Keith who tells a bit of his story. It's worth a visit just to see that and the big ol' catfish, Bubba, who lives in the giant fish tanks in the store.
Old June 6, 2012, 12:45 PM   #58
zullo74

buckhorn wrote....
Quote:
I don't remember if he had any children, as he never mentioned any in his many articles I read about, or written by him.
No children are recorded.
http://coplien.com/family.php?famid=F10208
Old June 6, 2012, 02:42 PM   #59
kwhi43

I knew him well. Went out to stay a week with him and his wife in 1964.
He was born about 75 miles from where I live now. Him and I worked on
some loads. He was never seen without his S&W 44 mag.
Old June 6, 2012, 07:15 PM   #60
4V50 Gary
Staff

ClemBert - plz tell this city boy how to distinguish between iron or steel and aluminum hawsh shoes.
Old June 6, 2012, 07:21 PM   #61
Jim Watson

Elmer and Lorraine had two children.
Druzilla died young as a result of complications from injuries sustained in an auto accident, as I recall.
Ted seems still to be around, retired by now. He is credited as having donated a lot of Elmer's guns and stuff for the Cabelas display. I am pretty sure Ted produced some grandchildren, I recall a family picture in one of my Keith books, lost to fire in The Incident.
Old June 6, 2012, 09:15 PM   #62
zullo74

Jim,

You are correct. The link I posted above has it wrong.Further research revealed this....

Keith led a life we can all dream about. Born in 1899, he some of the old gunfighters, and packed a sixgun as a working tool daily until his stroke in 1981. For more than two years he lived in a bed in a rest home in Boise, and finally went home to his final rest in February, 1984. In April of 1984, his son Ted formed the Elmer Keith Museum Foundation to raise money to build a museum to house all the game trophies and firearms of his famous lather.

and this....

Keith led what on the surface seems to be an ideal life. He spent the vast majority of his life guiding, outfitting, hunting, and shooting. He also went through much heartache and pain. He survived several devastating fires, attacks of influenza and lost his first child, Druzilla to influenza. He himself was so sick with the flu he could not even attend her funeral.
Old June 6, 2012, 09:45 PM   #63
egor20

Quote:
Not to pile on with regard to "accuracy" but I noted the aluminum horse shoes on all the horses as they charged forward just before the Battle of Grapevine scene (about 2/3rds the way though part three). I'm not sure when aluminum horse shoes became widely used but I know it wasn't in the 1880's.
I totally missed that.

As for when aluminum was used first, not a clue.

My father (also a farrier) taught me aluminum, steel, iron and magnesium. My Grandfather taught him so your going back to the 40s.

My wife informed me that aluminum shoes are common in the U.K., especially in racing circles.

Country don't mean dumb.
Steven King. The Stand
Old June 7, 2012, 12:30 AM   #64
Jim Watson

Never heard of aluminum horseshoes, but then I am not a horseman. I will inquire of a horsewoman of my acquaintance.

When they completed the Washington Monument in 1884, the very tip of the obelisk was 100 ounces of aluminum, then more costly than gold because of the elaborate chemical refining process of the day. Not going to be any aluminum horseshoes in the 1880s.
Old June 7, 2012, 08:23 AM   #65
Hawg

Aluminum jewelry was very, very expensive in the 19th century. I know they use aluminum shoes in racing. I didn't know they were ever used for every day use.
Old June 7, 2012, 10:50 AM   #66
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Message to Hawg Haggen

I wish you the Best of Luck tomorrow. Keep that computer turned on down there Sir and don't forget to let us know (often) how you are get'en along. Don't worry about nothing!! Things will turn out OK. For the time being all you have to do is: Get Better._ See you later you 'Ol Bushwhacker,__Tom
Old June 7, 2012, 10:50 AM   #67
ClemBert

Quote:
Originally Posted by V450 Gary
ClemBert - plz tell this city boy how to distinguish between iron or steel and aluminum hawsh shoes.
I rid myself of horses several years ago...Yipee!!!! Still have a couple of horse trailers and saddles and equipment.

Aluminum horse shoes are pretty common even for your backyard lawn ornament horse. They are more expensive than steel shoes but not that much more to be prohibitive as all the other stuff needed for horse ownership adds up to a much larger chunk of change. Depending on the horse I would chose aluminum over steel shoes in some cases.

There is a distinct difference in the color of aluminum versus steel shoes. The steel shoes are a grey in color as is the nature of that type of metal. Aluminum shoes look like the color of the inside of a beer can. Additionally, most aluminum shoes have round edges whereas most steel shoes have 90 degree edges....most I tells ya...most. Even with the horse's hooves on the ground you're gonna spot aluminum shoes. They are going to be shiny aluminum color on the sides. Steel shoes might get shiny on the bottom when newly worn like the top surface of train rails but the sides will not.

I could tell in the Hatfield/McCoy series as they gave a fair closeup of all the horse's hooves as they galloping together. You can see the obvious glint of aluminum on the sides and bottom of the shoes.

Researching a lil' bit more reveals that aluminum shoes didn't get wide use until the 1960's on race horses.

Sorry that I gots some of ya off topic....
Old June 7, 2012, 12:32 PM   #68
TomADC

I just started watching it last night episode #1 looks like it will be a winner.
Old June 7, 2012, 12:56 PM   #69
Hawg

Sure Shot, I'm just going in for pre op tomorrow. Surgery is Monday.

Thanks.
Old June 7, 2012, 01:24 PM   #70
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Hawg Haggen

Oh~~~ Well I guess I beat that rush of others Wishing you Well yet to come. That's good. Pre Op & surgery. Best of Luck from this end in both Appointments. Looks like you got a two'fer from me today. __SSMcG
Old June 7, 2012, 02:32 PM   #71
Hawg

Thanks man, appreciate it.
Old June 7, 2012, 03:38 PM   #72
TomADC

Hawg best of luck tomorrow.
Old June 7, 2012, 04:41 PM   #73
Hawg

Thanks Tom
Old June 7, 2012, 07:00 PM   #74
Hardcase

We'll be praying for a speedy, full recovery, Hawg.
Old June 7, 2012, 07:59 PM   #75
Hawg

Thanks