The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 13, 2013, 01:47 AM   #1
Tmitch

I'm getting back into reloading

I'm getting back into reloading after I retired. Should I wait and buy new or try to buy used equipment after the dust settles? I will be reloading only pistol, 44 mag, 45 auto rim. I'll be shooting 100/200 rds each every week or so maybe more maybe less. Any sugestions on on what press I should look for?
Old April 13, 2013, 06:28 AM   #2
ligonierbill

If you can find a good price on a used press from any of the major makers, go for it. My old RCBS Rockchucker is good as new at 15. Doesn't sound like you are loading enough to justify the cost of a progressive setup, but you might get there. Recently I added a RCBS turret press, which is convenient. Just get a turret for each caliber, set your dies, and you're good to go. I started with RCBS and have stayed with them. Good sturdy stuff, but I can't say it's better than the others.
Old April 13, 2013, 06:54 AM   #3
Misssissippi Dave

I think it might depend on how much time you plan to spend loading your ammo. The Lee Classic Turret should get the job done in an hour or two each week. You can get different plates for the dies so the switch is fairly straight forward. It can be used in single stage mode and switched to progressing mode. It isn't a true progressive. You still pull the handle once for each station.

Progressive presses can make very short work of your loading. I do believe they would similar to getting a top end race car for 25 mph drive in the city to go to work with. I load about 100 rounds in 20 minutes with a Dillon 550b when it is already set up for a caliber. I'm not all that fast either. I also don't switch calibers unless I have at least 1000 rounds to load. It isn't worth the effort to me.

If you want to spend more time each week loading a good single stage press will get the job done. It is relaxing and there is nothing a single stage can't do in my opinion. They are just slow going.
Old April 13, 2013, 06:59 AM   #4
Shootest

Try this it is new, in stock and all you need except dies.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/785...dex-deluxe-kit
Old April 13, 2013, 07:11 AM   #5
L2R

^ +1 on the start up kit

It will run over 200 / hour but I probably average just over 100 / hour because I stop, check and measure often.

Still, for the money and amount I shoot, it seems to be a good price for it's capacity.

Biggest plus might be the ease in popping off one turret and putting on another in just a few seconds if you want to change die sets.
Old April 13, 2013, 10:17 AM   #6
BumbleBug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmitch
I'm getting back into reloading after I retired.
What happened to your old gear? Except for the multi-station/progressive presses, not a lot has changed. Some of my stuff is 45+ years old & still serves me well.

...bug