The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old July 7, 2011, 08:23 PM   #26
jgcoastie

I would recommend a rifle in .260 Remington.

Yes, ammo is a bit tougher to find than other calibers, but you will not be left wanting for a better round.

Shoots pretty flat, very high B.C., very little wind drift compared to .30's. And it'll knock them down like Thor's Hammer if you put it in the vitals or in the neck.

Here's a list of a few currently available rifles in .260 Rem.

Kimber
- 84M Models (Discontinued, but there are a few on the used market.)

Tikka
- T3 Lite, not sure if .260 Rem models are available in the U.S. though...

Remington
- Model 7 Synthetic
- Model 7 CDL
- 700 CDL SF Limited Edition

Savage
- 11 FCNS
- 11 Lightweight Hunter
- 11 Long range Hunter
- 16 FCSS
- 10 Predator Hunter (MAX1)
- 12 Long Range Precision

Ruger (6.5 Creedmore, ballistic twin to .260 Rem)
- M77 MkII Target
- M77 Hawkeye All Weather
- M77 Hawkeye Standard

Thompson Center(6.5 Creedmore, ballistic twin to .260 Rem)
- Icon
"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them." -Richard Henry Lee, Virginia delegate to the Continental Congress, initiator of the Declaration of Independence, and member of the first Senate, which passed the Bill of Rights.
Old July 7, 2011, 08:29 PM   #27
jgcoastie

But, if .260 Rem isn't really your thing, then I'd recommend a .25/06 Rem.

Something along these lines...

http://www.browning.com/products/cat...item=035012323

Or this one...

http://www.browning.com/products/cat...item=031001223
"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them." -Richard Henry Lee, Virginia delegate to the Continental Congress, initiator of the Declaration of Independence, and member of the first Senate, which passed the Bill of Rights.
Old July 7, 2011, 09:05 PM   #28
kraigwy

I use a 257 Roberts, but the 243 would be a better choice. Easier to find ammo. Super Accurate.

270s '06s 'n such tear up too much meat in my opinion, those suckers are small and not hard to kill.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old July 7, 2011, 11:31 PM   #29
BIG P

+ 1 for 25-06 or 270 both are super stoppers but You lose meat with a bad hit thats for sure. So dont make a bad hit no problem right?
Old July 8, 2011, 07:47 AM   #30
SCDeac82

Pronghorn Rifle

Just my .02 worth opinion....

The .243 is on the light side...

A .270 class rifle bullet (130 grain) will be less affected by wind drift than one from a .243, and, of course, hit with a little more authority.

A bolt actiion .270 gives you more versatility as you move up to mulies, etc. as well...

Best of luck on your hunt!

JB
"No free man shall ever be de-barred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain their right to keep and bear arms is as a last resort to protect themselves against tyranny in government." -- Thomas Jefferson
Old July 8, 2011, 09:55 AM   #31
FrontSight

Not to hijack, but I hope to go one day as well...would a .220 swift be a good choice, or is it too light?
Old July 8, 2011, 10:39 AM   #32
taylorce1

Quote:
Not to hijack, but I hope to go one day as well...would a .220 swift be a good choice, or is it too light?
The problem with the Swift is somtimes you can't stablize hunting bullets because of the barrel twist. If you use a .22 caliber centerfire for hunting game like pronghorn you NEED to make sure you aren't using a varmint bullet. If your rifle can use the 53 grain TSX by Barnes or the 62 grain Nosler Partition then you should be fine. However unless you can use a premium bullet in the Swift you are risking a blow up of standard cup and core bullets and a shallow wound that may/may not kill the intended target when you go larger than varmints.
Old July 8, 2011, 11:05 AM   #33
FrontSight

Quote:
Quote:

The problem with the Swift is somtimes you can't stablize hunting bullets because of the barrel twist. If you use a .22 caliber centerfire for hunting game like pronghorn you NEED to make sure you aren't using a varmint bullet. If your rifle can use the 53 grain TSX by Barnes or the 62 grain Nosler Partition then you should be fine. However unless you can use a premium bullet in the Swift you are risking a blow up of standard cup and core bullets and a shallow wound that may/may not kill the intended target when you go larger than varmints.

And good luck, OP! Please keep us posted...
Old July 8, 2011, 02:10 PM   #34
FrankenMauser

Just another point on the .220 Swift -
.22 Caliber cartridges are not legal for big game hunting in many states where you'll find Antelope.

With a proper bullet, and proper shot placement, the .220 Swift is more than enough. ...But it doesn't matter, if it's not a legal weapon in the area you're hunting.
Old July 8, 2011, 02:20 PM   #35
Water-Man

6.5x55 SE.
Old July 8, 2011, 02:35 PM   #36
taylorce1

Quote:
Just another point on the .220 Swift -
.22 Caliber cartridges are not legal for big game hunting in many states where you'll find Antelope.

With a proper bullet, and proper shot placement, the .220 Swift is more than enough. ...But it doesn't matter, if it's not a legal weapon in the area you're hunting.
It is legal in more states than not, however it isn't legal in Wyoming.

Arizona- centerfire
California- centerfire
Colorado- .24 and up, 70grn or larger bullet/ minimum of 1000ft/lbs at 100 yards for pronghorn, deer, & bear, 80grn or larger for elk and moose Idaho- Centerfire (cannot weigh more than 16 lbs?)
Kansas- .23 or larger centerfire (actually says larger than .23 so maybe .24 is the mininum)
Montana- No restrictions
Nebraska- Rifles with 900 ft/lbs or more at 100 yards
Nevada- .22 centerfire and up
New Mexico- centerfire
North Dakota- .22-.49 centerfire
Oklahoma- centerfire with 55 grn or heavier bullet
Oregon- .22 centerfire and up
South Dakota- rifles with 1,000 ft/lbs or more ME
Texas- centerfire
Utah- centerfire
Washington- .24 centerfire and up
Wyoming- .23 centerfire and up

Don't know if I hit all the states that have pronghorn but I'm sure I got most. By my count there are only four states where it isn't legal to use a .22 caliber for hunting pronghorn. I bolded the ones where .22's weren't legal.
Old July 8, 2011, 06:35 PM   #37
FrankenMauser

Quote:
Idaho- Centerfire (cannot weigh more than 16 lbs?)
^Emphasis mine.

Idaho had some incidents with "hunters" picking off (or only wounding) Elk, at extreme distances, with .50 BMG rifles. To prevent inadvertently banning other (more common) firearms, they added the 16 lb rule. You can still use .50 BMG, if you want to. ...But it's gonna hurt.

It looks like some other states have relaxed their standards, like Utah did a few years ago. (Used to be .23 Caliber minimum, and a 2" or longer cartridge. - very similar to Wyoming.)
Old July 9, 2011, 12:57 AM   #38
WildBill45

Quote:
Apparently antelope are both curious and stupid. Why all the talk about long range rifles?
Apparently you haven't actually hunted in Antelope country. They do deserve a little respect, at least by those who have hunted them.

The .270 is the standard for an antelope rifle in most antelope country. The scene is usually open, and the vision of the antelope is legendary and well deserved. The shot is usually long, as the country is open, and for folks who believe the above quote, and that decoys work ... try hiding behind a decoy during rifle season and see what happens! Some tyro who watches TV hunting, will blow you out from under it! Don't do that!

Most antelope country comes with wind, and the .270 is a better wind shooter than most of the smaller calibers, and the bigger calibers tear up the meat ... trust me, I hit one with a .300 Weatherby once, and it was gutted as it stood there ... seriously, it was gross!

I have hunted antelope with a long bow, used a decoy, and rags, plastic sheets, and all the tricks. I have taken antelope with a 7X30 Waters T/C Contener pistol, and with my fav. my Steyr Mannlicher Pro .270! The custom longbow was fun, but frustrating, as my arrow nailed a record antelope IF, it were still standing there when the arrow arrived, IT WASN'T!

Any rifle you can shoot accurately at long range in the field will do, but given the choice, the .270 is on top of my list! The rifle is as important as the caliber though, so choose wisely, and get a rifle that fits you, shoots great, and is tough, as doing the D-Day craw in the sand and cactus can be hard on lesser rifles.

Antelope can run faster than any other animal here in the US, only surpassed by the Tsessebe,which I also observed in Africa ... DON'T BOTHER SHOOTING AT EITHER IF RUNNING FULL SPEED AT ANY DISTANCE! I have had them pass me in my Blaser, which was going over 50 mph in a rancher's field! This is rough ground, filled with holes, pits, cactus, and very bumpy, they are absolutely wonderful to watch run! When they reach the fence line, they WON'T JUMP THE FENCE, they either go between the strands, or under the fence, and they could probably jump a six-foot fence effortlessly if they wanted to! They have places that they run to at the fence if they have the time and access to get there, that has paths dug out under the wire from them sliding under, at speed no less, the wire! It is crazy to watch them do this, and how they do it on such rough ground running at 6o MPH is incredible and unbelievable!

Dealing with the blistering heat, rattlesnakes as you crawl about, the winds, and the open spaces with no places for fat Americans to hide, adds up over time. A bipod is great for prone shooting, which is the norm, and a quality scope has higher priority than a quality rifle .... optics is what it is all about ... then your shooting skills.

Antelope are small, thus can throw off your range estimation, as well as the open space. I Know the rangefinders guys will say a rangefinder is great in this hunting, and it is, if you don't mind the moral use of technology, which I do. That said, a rangefinder was made for Antelope hunting, not 100 yard, east coast, city-slicker hunting. You must be a rifleman and a shooter, not a rifle bearer who does toting! Accuracy is a must due to small targets at far ranges under the stressful conditions of uncomfortable weather, and challenging conditions, to include optical variations dues to the heat at such ranges! HAVE YOU EVER SHOT AT LONG RANGE ON A 100 DEGREE TODAY? If not, you don't know what I am talking about, but you better learn!

The heat demands quick field dressing, and getting the meat cooled down, after you make this wonderful shot with your new .270! Good hunting, and most of all, practice shooting from prone and sitting until your body aches, then do it again, then again!

"If Ands and Buts were Candy and Nuts, everyday would be like Christmas"

Last edited by WildBill45; July 9, 2011 at 01:25 AM.
Old July 9, 2011, 06:42 AM   #39
dgludwig

Quote:
If you already own & are proficient with a .270, .308 & 30/06, you already have ideal antelope rifles.
No, no-you're missing the point here: he's looking for an excuse to buy a new rifle! Haven't we all been there at one time or another?
Old July 9, 2011, 03:39 PM   #40
taylorce1

Quote:
Antelope are small, thus can throw off your range estimation, as well as the open space. I Know the rangefinders guys will say a rangefinder is great in this hunting, and it is, if you don't mind the moral use of technology, which I do. That said, a rangefinder was made for Antelope hunting, not 100 yard, east coast, city-slicker hunting.
One thing I've found out hunting pronghorn nearly every year out of the last 22 is that they are hard to range with a rangefinder. I've only been using one since 06 however. The best one I've ever used is the Leica 1200 for ranging pronghorn, my Leupold RB800 binos, and my buddies Nikon will not range on a bright sunny day much past 200 yards. The Leica will usually get you out to 600 yards.
Old July 9, 2011, 06:37 PM   #41
oneounceload

Quote:
The .270 is the standard for an antelope rifle in most antelope country. The scene is usually open, and the vision of the antelope is legendary and well deserved. The shot is usually long, as the country is open, and for folks who believe the above quote, and that decoys work ... try hiding behind a decoy during rifle season and see what happens!
When I lived in NV, the 25-06 was #1 choice, but the best was the 257 Weatherby, as it also doubled as a great sheep cartridge.

Shots on pronghorn ran an average of 200 yards with 450 being the longest and 22 being the closest. They DO come to props like waving white flags (how my friend bow hunts them).

The secret is knowing their daily route to the waterhole. In NV, (at least at the time), it was illegal to camp or park within 100 yards of any source of water, even a cattle trough. Glassing is essential, bit not every shot is going to be a long one
Old July 10, 2011, 12:25 PM   #42
sc928porsche

You cant go wrong with the 25-06. Great cartridge that has been around for a long time and will remain so. Ammo is readily available and reasonably priced. Easy to reload for too, with good selection of bullets and powders.
It will do a great job on varmits and game clear up to and including elk (at reasonable distance). Very flat trajectory with good energy out to 300 yards. Recoil is light.........very little more than 243.

Personally, I would not attempt to take elk beyond 150yds or moose over 100yds. I would not hunt bear with it, but for selfdefense against one, it is better than nothing.

Those that own them usually keep them. Most of those that sold them regret the decision.

Good luck on your hunt with whatever you choose.
Old July 14, 2011, 06:12 PM   #43
Outlaw81

Use the .243 and load it with some 87 or 90 grainers and have a blast!!!! Those are some fun critters to chase!!!!
Old July 14, 2011, 08:54 PM   #44
Deja vu

my best friend at work claims he got his first antelope with a 220 swift. My first was with a 357 magnum marlin lever action and a lot of patience.

all 26 of my guns are 45/70 govt, 357 mag, 22 or 12 ga... I believe in keeping it simple. Wish my wife did as well...
Old July 30, 2011, 07:18 AM   #45
ltc444

If you reload, I would go with the 257 Roberts. It is versatile and effective. Mostly I recommend because I am a fan and would like to see this marvelous round kept alive.

I will get debate on this but, a good reload will better the ballistics of a 243 and compare favorably with the 25/06.
Old July 30, 2011, 12:58 PM   #46
Thump

Enough aleady... Get yourself a .300 Weatherby and you are set to hunt anything from varmits, up to thin skinned African big game and Grizzly bear.

Loadings from 130 grain to 220 grain are readily available and will handle any thing you decide to hunt. As for long distance the 180 grain partition bullets have a BC of .500+, and will allow you (with good optics) to hunt effectively out to 400-500+ yards, and beyond if it is not too windy.
Old July 30, 2011, 02:03 PM   #47
Bamashooter

A .243 loaded with 100gr. or some 95gr. barnes would work just fine. I wouldnt have a problem using my 30-06 with either 150gr. or some 125gr. bullets. The 125gr. out of a 30-06 are hitting about 3200fps. A little quicker than the .270 with 130gr bullets. Hell, I guess anything other than a .22lr would work fine.
Old July 30, 2011, 02:35 PM   #48
Dave Anderson

Originally posted by WildBill45:
Quote:
they are absolutely wonderful to watch run! When they reach the fence line, they WON'T JUMP THE FENCE, they either go between the strands, or under the fence, and they could probably jump a six-foot fence effortlessly if they wanted to! They have places that they run to at the fence if they have the time and access to get there, that has paths dug out under the wire from them sliding under, at speed no less, the wire! It is crazy to watch them do this, and how they do it on such rough ground running at 6o MPH is incredible and unbelievable!
WB45, I enjoyed your post, you obviously know what you're talking about. I agree with your comment about the rifle being as important as the cartridge. I've used at least 10-12 different cartridges from .243 Win. to 7mm Rem Mag to kill pronghorns, also seen 6.5x55, .280AI, .308 and .30-'06, and a couple of .300 magnums used. Frankly can't see it matters much. Your recommendation of the .270 is as good as any, better than some.

Just wanted to comment on pronghorns jumping fences. I've seen them go under many times. A couple times I've seen them do it at speed, they remind me of a baseball player sliding into a base. They'll be running, hit the ground and slide under in a cloud of dust, bounce back up and accelerate back to full speed.

It's rare, but I have seen them jump fences. Once while we were driving in South Dakota a good-sized buck was feeding in the ditch, next to a tightly woven barbed-wire cattle fence maybe 5 - 51/2 feet high. My wife and I stopped to take some pictures.

The buck tolerated us for a few seconds. Then he jumped the fence, and did so effortlessly, from a standing start. No running, crouching, preparation or anything. I've seen another one or two jump as well. It is unusual, they seem to prefer going under but they can jump if they want to.

Last edited by Dave Anderson; July 30, 2011 at 02:37 PM. Reason: Spelling error