The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old April 7, 2009, 07:13 PM   #1
mad austrian

1888 Ithaca DBL barrelled shotgun

I'm new to this,so please forgive any really dumb mistakes. I have an Ithaca dbl. barreled (Damascus) twist 12 ga. hammerless shotgun. It was made in 1888, sold at that time for 150 dollars. It has a 4 digit serial number, a number 1 frame and a grade 5 rating. There are three separate barrels all with the same serial number. The engraving was done by an engraver named Joe Loy.
I'm interested in selling, and am well aware that it is quite valuable. Twice I've been approached by ( so called) ethical dealer/collectors (who weren't aware that I had all the pertinent data about the gun) and who had been recommended by antique dealers. In both cases the offer made was less than 500 hundred dollars. One dealer stated that ":It really wasn't of much value since Ithaca made a lot of those guns in the late 1800s"

Any info on current (possible) value and recommendations about the safest way to go about selling??
Thanks---Mad Austrian

Last edited by mad austrian; April 7, 2009 at 07:20 PM.
Old April 7, 2009, 07:34 PM   #2
Dfariswheel

Probably the safest way to sell AND get top dollar is to go through one of the big auction houses that do guns.

These are internationally known houses who have qualified appraisers on staff.
The big ones are companies like Butterfield & Butterfield, Christy's, and Sotheby's.
If you have a very high dollar firearm, they're who usually auction it.

There are a few that specialize in only guns. One is:

http://www.rockislandauction.com/history.aspx
Old April 7, 2009, 08:17 PM   #3
bswiv

Try these guys. The forum is aimed at the double gun.......... And when you post on there show some pictures. Not just of the gun in total but also of the markings on the underside of the barrels and the like. These guys will know...........

If you don't know how to post pictures try Photobucket. I don't know if it's the easiest hosting service but if I can figure out how to use it then it can't be to hard.

That failing you can email me the pictures and I see about getting them posted for you.

http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/...Board=1&page=1
Old April 8, 2009, 08:19 AM   #4
PetahW

The doublegunshop is good, but I would also recommend you get your paws on some copies of The Double Gun Journal, an enthusiast's quarterly rag.

This Spring's issue had an article on the Ithaca's, by Colin McLagan - but the mag also has a classified ad section, that may serve you well.

The Double Gun Journal
P.O.Box 550
East Jordan, MI 49727

[email protected]

(tel)231.536.7439

There are a few more alternatives, for marketing your shotgun, though.

Many well-heeled double gun enthusiasts attend a combination show/shoot every Summer, called the Vintagers Side by Side Event, IIRC - you could walk it around, there.
Ther's another similar event in the Upper Peninsula of MI this June 19-21.

http://www.vintagers.org/events.html

It could also be placed with one of the several specialty auction houses, like Greg Martin or James D.Julia, that deal in vintage and high grade guns only.

http://www.gregmartinauctions.com/

http://www.jamesdjulia.com/

Last edited by PetahW; April 8, 2009 at 08:27 AM.
Old April 18, 2009, 03:38 PM   #5
44 AMP
Staff

Ithacas just don't bring as much money as other makers

But your gun is still worth a considerable sum. I'm no expert on shotguns, but I do recall that much. I have my Grandfathers 1909 flues model (field grade, fluid steel barrels), and while not worth a great deal of cash, it is priceless to me.

I don't know for cetain about the late 1800s grading, but in the early 1900s, the really high grade guns started at 1e and went up to 5e, with the next step being the "$5000" grade. And above that was the "John Phillip Sousa" grade.

Your gun, with the matched barrels is a fine set. Any chance you have the case? $500 is an insult, from someone who is looking to rip you off.