The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 10, 2000, 10:13 AM   #1
bad4u

I currently load for .45acp only, using the Dillon Square Deal B Press.

I'm thinking of getting a 9mm and loading for that also.

In looking at loading press kits, the Lee Turret Press Kit looks like a great setup.

Anyone use the Lee Turret Press and care to comment on this press? Also, comments on their powder measures, please.

Thanks.
Old September 10, 2000, 10:33 AM   #2
railroader

I have a Lee turret press that I've used for a couple of years now. I like it alot but it is not as fast as a proggresive. It takes three pulls of the handle for a round. One box of 50 rounds will take you 20 minutes to a half hour to make. Also if you get one order it with the auto index, this turns the dies automatically.Also the auto disk dispenser works well, you just change the disk to get the right amount of powder for each round. Changing calibers is easy, just pop out the turret, pop in another with a different caliber. The dies are already screwed in and adjusted in the turret. If you plan on ordering one get it from Midway not Lee and you will get a better price and free shipping.
Old September 10, 2000, 10:35 AM   #3
Mal H
Staff

Moving to Handloading and Reloading forum...
Old September 10, 2000, 12:58 PM   #4
bullet44

check this site(http://www.fmreloading.com)
I believe even paying shipping they are
cheaper then midway. I plan on buying
the non-index type,$43 +5.50 shipping.
Old September 10, 2000, 01:10 PM   #5
plateshooter

I agree with Railroader. I've been using mine for at least 14 years. A box of 9mm with the auto index and powder dropper takes me about 12 -15 minutes to load. I think it's a great system for the bucks.

------------------
Good shootin to ya
Plateshooter
Old September 11, 2000, 07:34 AM   #6
railroader

Trust me on this one, get the whole kit with the auto index and auto disk powder measure. These make the press much faster and if you want them later it will cost you alot more for them later than in the kit. Good luck.
Old September 11, 2000, 09:20 AM   #7
Banzai

I've used mine, with auto index and Lee Auto-Disk, for several years now. To date, I've only had to replace the little nylon indexer thingy! I have about 60,000 9mm, 40, and 45 rounds loaded on it so far.
My method is to size, and prime as seperate operatons on the press, then to load en mass. With carbide dies, it's a snap, and I prime while wathcing TV, with a Lee hand primer. With this method I can load 400 rounds an hour when it comes to powder charging, seating, and crimping.
I keep seperate turrets, set up with the dies, for each caliber that I load.
Some will tell you that buying LEE is false economy. Well, everyone has an opinion, but mine has never had ANY failures of any type, and that means no down time. My 650 has had several failures, all parts related, in the same time frame that I've had my Lee. I got great customer service from Dilllon, to be sure, but it's the down time that upset me and slowed my loading.

Tom
Old September 11, 2000, 12:05 PM   #8
Mike Irwin
Staff

I like my Lee Turret press, but to tell you the truth, why don't you just get a caliber conversion for your SDB?

You'd pay about the same amount of money, and if you get a second toolhead, caliber changes are even quicker.

------------------
Beware the man with the S&W .357 Mag.
Chances are he knows how to use it.
Old October 3, 2000, 10:03 PM   #9
Matrix

How's the accuracy from the Lee turret press?
I'm about to order one, and in addition to 45, I'll want to load .223's.

Does it produce precise, quality ammunition, or is it just for people that want to produce a lot of pistol rounds with average accuracy?

Thanks
Old October 3, 2000, 11:22 PM   #10
bedlamite

I have the Lee Turret press also, and it's about the most bang for the buck you can get anywhere.

Matrix- Accuracy? In the first batch of reloads from this press I gave my dad, he shot a cloverleaf at 25 yards from his Blackhawk. It all depends on the person pulling the handle, and choosing the right components. 223's are no problem, but anything longer will bind the auto-index, by the way, get the auto-index

------------------
NRA, GOA
"If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice"-Neil Peart
Vote in November.
Old October 4, 2000, 01:09 AM   #11
Sisco

If you get the kit, order an adjustable charge bar and forget about the discs. Get the auto-indexer too.
I've been loading on my Lee for a couple of years now, several thousand rounds of 9mm, 357/38spcl, 41mag, 45acp & 30 carbine and have had zero problems.
Old October 4, 2000, 04:00 PM   #12
Matrix

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm getting the auto-index, it seems to be worth the money. I was just concerned about the stability of the turret vs. a single stage in putting together long range rifle rounds. Seems like a good affordable press to learn on.
I may upgrade later, but I want to be able to produce a reasonable amount of pistol ammo without spending all week at it.

[This message has been edited by Matrix (edited October 04, 2000).]
Old October 5, 2000, 12:51 PM   #13
Bogie

For long range rifle rounds, I wouldn't use the turret. Great pistol press tho...

For LRR... A good solid o-frame press (lee's doesn't qualify - sorry) or, if loading at the range, Lee's hand press (only with collet die). The Lee collet dies work just fine, or get the Redding that takes the different bushings. Seat with a Wilson hand die seater and arbor press or with one of Redding's high end press seaters.