The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 4, 2006, 05:49 PM   #1
DennisD

Beginner ammo reload ?

Please bear with me because this is going to sound like a really dumb question to some but here goes: I have never reloaded ammunition but I’m thinking of doing so. I currently shoot .22 LR, 9mm(Luger), .38 spl (and .357) and .45 ACP. I am interested in reloading the .45, .38, .357 and maybe 9mm (factory loads are really cheap so I’m not sure about 9mm). What equipment would I have to buy and how much would it cost to set up to be able to load new and reload my used brass.
Old March 4, 2006, 06:04 PM   #2
DennisD

Please ignore the question. I reworded my search and finally found previous question and responses. Sorry
Old March 4, 2006, 06:13 PM   #3
lizziedog1

DENNIS D
I think that you should start with one of those kit set ups. They come with enough basic equipment to get you started. As you become more proficent, you can add other stuff. May I also suggest that you start with your .38 or .357. Revolver ammo is a bit easier to reload for. It is a little more forgiving then auto pistol ammo.
Old March 5, 2006, 05:49 AM   #4
maas

ditto
rcbs is a good company and they seem pretty bang for the buck althought i dont know how much they are in the mags because there factory is about 40 mi. away so i buy my stuff from them. id try midway for all your stuff (brass bullets dies ect) there prices are great and free shipping

There's always one thing that makes Republicans look good on election day...........Democrats!
Old March 5, 2006, 10:46 AM   #5
DennisD

Thanks for the tips guys. I didn't know there was a starter kit. I'll look into that. I already buy a lot of parts and supplys from Midway. I'm really happy with their service.

Thanks again.
Old March 5, 2006, 10:49 AM   #6
hpg

DennisD,

Do yourself a favor and purchase a Lyman reloading manual. Why Lyman? Lyman lists loads using all manufacturers powders and bullets.
I have been reloading for over 30 years and I have used them all. Lyman is the best, with Hornady next(in my opinion). hpg