The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old February 21, 2013, 08:23 AM   #1
jimpeel

Comcast pulls all firearms related advertising

In a shocking move to those who have advertised on Comcast Cable the company has suddenly, and irreversibly, rendered all firearms related advertising verboten.

The story with accompanying video is at the source link.

SOURCE

Quote:
Comcast pulls gun shop ads from cable network
Posted: Feb 18, 2013 3:09 PM MST
Updated: Feb 18, 2013 3:23 PM MST
By Kristen Abraham

(02/18/13) - A gun shop owner said firearm manufacturers, distributors and retailers are being targeted unfairly after Comcast announces it's dropping all gun shop ads from its nationwide cable network.

The cable company recently acquired NBC Universal and this is a long standing policy there.

<MORE>

"Science is built up with facts, as a house is with stones. But a collection of facts is no more a science than a heap of stones is a house." - Jules Henri Poincare

"Three thousand people died on Sept. 11 because eight pilots were killed"
-- former Northwest Airlines pilot Stephen Luckey
Old February 21, 2013, 09:07 AM   #2
UtahHunting

I ditched Comcast about 5 months back, looks like I made the correct decision. I know boycotts don't generally work, but I am doing my best moving forward to not do business with the anti-gun businesses.
Old February 22, 2013, 09:38 AM   #3
willhud

I don't have ComCast, but if I did, I would drop them, as this has to be one of the biggest hypocritical moves I have seen in this 'debate'. You don't see them refusing ads for Alcohol or refusing to broadcast tv shows that contain guns.
Old February 22, 2013, 12:14 PM   #4
sigcurious

Erm... I thought one of the NBC sports channels was the one that shows 3 gun nation and a few other shows, they're chock full of gun advertising? How was that a standing NBCUniversal policy?
Old February 22, 2013, 12:41 PM   #5
Slopemeno

Meh...all the gun-related and hunting shows are still there. Can I file this under "who cares?"
Old February 22, 2013, 04:06 PM   #6
willhud

I don't know, I think it is pretty major. It's another step or piece of the puzzle to vilify guns and gun owners. They want to essentially put guns and/or gun ownership into the same category as smoking. There are quite a few links in a simple google search where you can see they are cutting existing ads and/or refusing new contracts for anything gun related. I would imagine for instance, that a lot of local gun stores, rely on being able to advertise. Comcast is a huge cable provider. And according to most of the articles that I read, they are doing this to bring their policies in line with NBC.

From the following link - http://news.msn.com/us/comcast-pulls...-cable-network

{In a statement provided to MSN News on Tuesday, Comcast Spotlight, the advertising sales division of Comcast Cable, said:

"Consistent with longstanding NBC policies, Comcast Spotlight has decided it will not accept new advertising for firearms or weapons moving forward. This policy aligns us with the guidelines in place at many media organizations."

Comcast is the largest cable television company in the United States, with 22 million subscribers in 39 states. It recently announced that it would become the sole owner of NBC Universal, purchasing the 49 percent stake it doesn't already own from General Electric for $16.7 billion.}

I have enjoyed several of the shows like Guns and Ammo TV. A good deal of their advertising is based on ads just like those. How long do you think they will be able to produce those shows without those kinds of ads? And if Comcast does it, what's to keep the other cable providers from following suit?
Old February 22, 2013, 04:35 PM   #7
BarryLee

Quote:
thought one of the NBC sports channels was the one that shows 3 gun nation and a few other shows
The NBC Sports channel I get dropped those shows a few months back.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old February 22, 2013, 05:49 PM   #8
Colduglandon

I am back on the antenna. I dropped Cable and Satellite years ago.
Old February 22, 2013, 09:40 PM   #9
Puddle

this ^^^^

I can get everything I need from HD antenna and the four or five other media providers that I can access via my TVs (Netflix, Amazon video, Hulu, etc..) plus YouTube and anything else the internet can serve up. Once you get TVs that have Internet apps and connectivity, there isn't much need for traditional cable.
Old February 22, 2013, 11:35 PM   #10
Wrothgar

We only have Comcast for internet and home security. Unfortunately, we signed a 3 year contract last year for the security that comes with a $1000 cancellation policy... Looks like I'm stuck with them for a while.
Old February 22, 2013, 11:42 PM   #11
wilson396

I'm glad I cancelled Comcast years ago.
Old February 23, 2013, 03:37 AM   #12
Tickling

Quote:
Meh...all the gun-related and hunting shows are still there. Can I file this under "who cares?"
NO. This means that the NRA or other pro- gun organizations can't advertise, but who do you think CAN?

People (especially fence-sitters) believe what they hear, and if all they hear is the negative what do you think they'll believe?

Trust me, me this is exactly what the anti- gun lobby wants. We are losing our voice.
Old February 23, 2013, 07:02 AM   #13
TDL

Quote:
I don't know, I think it is pretty major. It's another step or piece of the puzzle to vilify guns and gun owners. They want to essentially put guns and/or gun ownership into the same category as smoking.
That is precisely correct. Gun ownership will be portrayed as a disease. A pathology.

Each small step in that direction is a success for the gun control lobby.

Scapegoats need to be weak.

Last edited by TDL; February 23, 2013 at 07:18 AM.
Old February 23, 2013, 08:32 AM   #14
Mastery

I worked for Comcast years ago. It doesn't surprise me that their advertising policies follows their employee management principles. Their executive board is heavy into supporting causes that doesn't seem to be in line with the average citizen.