The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old September 16, 2012, 11:03 AM   #26
ROGER4314

I have lots of the 10-22's and a few of the Marlin 60's. There is no comparison in my view. It's 10-22 all the way!

Flash
Old September 16, 2012, 01:49 PM   #27
tahunua001

Quote:
A buddy of mine has a 795 . It's a bolt action and very accurate
um...no
the 795 is not a bolt action, it is the same action as the marlin model 60 only it is fed by a detachable box mag instead of tube magazine.
Old September 16, 2012, 04:31 PM   #28
Metal god

Ok I must be mistaken . He does have a marlin bolt action 22 and it takes the same mags as the 795, He asked me to buy some mags for it when I went to the gun show . I asked what mags he wants and he told me the ones for the 795 . I guess those mags fit multiple guns . My bad
Old September 16, 2012, 05:31 PM   #29
bram.baxter

I love my 10/22. Ive shot and owned plenty of other rifles, but never a .22 It stove piped once, but it hadn't been cleaned in far too long. No jams since! The stock sights are not the best, but mounting a scope is a breeze. Great gun!
Old September 16, 2012, 08:40 PM   #30
Joe Chicago

If you want a 'project gun' to tinker with, get the Ruger. There are untold aftermarket parts for it. You can buy the more expensive Ruger, then put another $300 in a barrel and misc parts to make it more accurate than the stock Marlin. If you want an out of the box accurate gun, go with the Marlin 60.

I have been down on Freedom Group/Remington QC in many posts, but my new Marlin 60 runs great and is very accurate.
Old September 19, 2012, 08:28 PM   #31
jimbob86

Quote:
The Marlin is a good gun, but when they get dirty, they are pure heck to really clean and the very devil to reassemble if you ever have to take them down all the way.
I never had any trouble tearing them down and putting them back together........ but then again, I can take my Ruger 22/45 Mark III apart down to the fining pin and reassemble it in under 2 minutes on a good day, 3 if I'm slow.....
Old September 22, 2012, 03:13 PM   #32
droptrd

My 795 dissasembles almost the same as my 1022. I like my 795 better than my 1022. Both are stock with the same barska scopes on them. My marlin is more accurate. The 795 also is more reliable. It cycles every brand accept certian remington loads. It hasnt had a malfuntion since the 1st couple hundred riounds ive put thru it. Thousands fired now. My 1022 is fairly reliable but has a hicup about 1 in every 100 rounds.
Old September 22, 2012, 03:31 PM   #33
Sparks1957

The Marlin 795 is most certainly NOT a bolt action. I like mine a lot, and it's one of the most accurate .22s I've ever shot with iron sights, right out of the box. $115 price tag didn't hurt a bit, either.
Old September 22, 2012, 05:57 PM   #34
itchy1

Having owned both my choice is the 10/22. Better fit/finish, magazine>tube, reliability, etc. Not saying that the 60 isn't a decent gun, I just like the 10/22 better.
Old September 22, 2012, 06:06 PM   #35
Metal god

oops

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old September 22, 2012, 06:16 PM   #36
22-rimfire

I don't own a Model 60 but I do own a 10/22. For squirrel hunting I would choose the M60 as I believe they are on average more accurate. For fast shooting small game action, I like the more compact 10/22. If I could only have one, I'd take the M60 because I prefer the under barrel tubular magazine over the Ruger rotary magazine.

I seldom shoot my 10/22. It's there if I feel like a big plinking session. I have gravitated to either a Weatherby Mark XXII or TC R-55 for semi-auto shooting.
Old September 22, 2012, 06:22 PM   #37
mySig229

The Ruger

Like most guys have been saying...lots of options.

Don't the stock? Blackhawk AXIOM for $75

Don't like the sights? Comes drilled and tapped, plus comes with a rail to put on the top of the receiver for red dot, scope, etc...

Trigger? Lots of options
Barrels? Lots
Trigger assemblies? Lots

I think I've made my point. Plus lots of parts and expertise out there for the 10/22
Old September 23, 2012, 02:25 AM   #38
slicknickns

Get the Marlin if you're into guns. Get the Ruger if you're shooting. The Model 60 has a lot more history and a lot more of a retro cool. Both are great guns, however the Ruger appeals to a more mainstream crowd.

Or you could find an awesome middle ground and get the 795
Old September 24, 2012, 03:10 PM   #39
Mr Budha

Fired both, like both of them but ended up buying a Marlin 60. Just has a great feel to it and I actually wanted the tube.
Old September 24, 2012, 03:30 PM   #40
jmstr

Tube fed .22lr's need the Spee-D-Loader!!

For anyone with a tube-fed .22lr that wants faster reloads, you should look for a Spee-D-Loader. I have one for my 2 Marlins. It holds around 15 .22lr rounds and you can do a 'dump' down the mag tube once you've removed the mag rod part.

It isn't as fast as a 10/22 magazine swap, but it is almost as fast.

These are .22lr rifles. The 10/22 can be reloaded in a prone position much better than a tube-fed magazine like the Model 60. But, this is a .22lr! If we are concerned about a shootout, shouldn't we be using a bigger caliber than .22lr?

I approve of the Model 60. Ruger 10/22s are good also, but they are not for me, based on my desires/tastes/needs/wants.

Oh, for the person who had problems with ammo other than CCI, I have a few question: How often do you remove the bolt and clean the action? When was the last time you replaced the springs in the action? How many rounds have you fired? Do you store it with the hammer back, or do you 'dry-fire' it to leave the springs untensioned in the gun?

I bought a used Glenfield Model 60 [Marlin, made for some department store]. It had problems. I swapped the springs in the action [all of them] and I have no problems any more. I don't know how many rounds had been fired before I bought it, but it was filthy inside. Now it shoots all the ammo brands I have tried.

I figure that springs need to be replaced periodically, be it in rifles or handguns. If that hasn't been done in almost 2 decades of frequent use, I would expect performance to decline in any gun. If the gun sees 50 rounds a year, it shouldn't matter too much, unless it is stored cocked.

Just my thoughts.

Seriously though: check out Spee-D-Loader. I can't find the manufacturer's website. I had it once, but can't find it now. However, a search shows the device for sale at a few websites.
Old September 26, 2012, 07:12 AM   #41
cecILL

Both are decent .22 rifles, but if I had a choice between one or the other, Marlin would be the choice.
Speed loaders can easily be made with used arrow shafts.
Old September 29, 2012, 04:36 PM   #42
EAJ702

I purchased my Glenfield Model 60 new in 1969. It's accurate and I've never experienced any issues with it. All original parts. It will probably outlast me.

Old September 29, 2012, 04:56 PM   #43
jmstr

Quote:
Originally Posted by EAJ702 View Post
I purchased my Glenfield Model 60 new in 1969. It's accurate and I've never experienced any issues with it. All original parts. It will probably outlast me.

What store did you buy it from? I have a used glebfield, but never knew who sold them new.

sent from tapatalk on Evo3G
Old October 2, 2012, 09:24 AM   #44
EAJ702

Quote:
What store did you buy it from? I have a used glebfield, but never knew who sold them new.
I purchased mine from Modell's department store on Long Island in 1969. They're now known as Modell's Sporting Goods.
Old October 2, 2012, 07:50 PM   #45
JonM

I've got both. While the model 60 has served me well and killed it's share of critters, I still like the 10/22 better.
Old October 3, 2012, 10:43 AM   #46
defcon

Quote:
Oh, for the person who had problems with ammo other than CCI, I have a few question: How often do you remove the bolt and clean the action? When was the last time you replaced the springs in the action? How many rounds have you fired? Do you store it with the hammer back, or do you 'dry-fire' it to leave the springs untensioned in the gun?

I bought a used Glenfield Model 60 [Marlin, made for some department store]. It had problems. I swapped the springs in the action [all of them] and I have no problems any more. I don't know how many rounds had been fired before I bought it, but it was filthy inside. Now it shoots all the ammo brands I have tried.

I figure that springs need to be replaced periodically, be it in rifles or handguns. If that hasn't been done in almost 2 decades of frequent use, I would expect performance to decline in any gun. If the gun sees 50 rounds a year, it shouldn't matter too much, unless it is stored cocked.
interesting.
i just purchased 5 used Glenfield 60's and will be purchasing extra replacement springs just in case i get those FTF
Old October 3, 2012, 11:19 AM   #47
Metal god

I'm the one that had problems with bulk ammo . I like to read all the reply's on threads that I posted something but some how I missed yours . Sorry it took so long to get back to you .

I have no idea how many rounds have been though it . I got the gun used as well . When I got the rifle it had been sitting in this guy closet for years and was in pretty bad shape . It had some rust on the barrel but the bore was good . The stock was all beat up and over all in bad shape

The first thing I did was took it apart and started cleaning it . I did take the trigger assembly off the receiver but did not take it apart ( it just seemed like way to many parts for me to be messing with ).I cleaned it as best I could with CLP a brush and Q-tips . Cleaned up the barrel and action . Put a new ATI stock on it and went shooting .

I do not store it with the bolt back and Im sorry to say I never thought of replacing all the springs . That sound like a great idea . Where can I find a set of those

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .

Last edited by Metal god; October 3, 2012 at 12:03 PM.
Old October 3, 2012, 11:28 AM   #48
Panfisher

I've owned both for many years. For a fun gun to grab and shoot I like the 10/22 for a gun to hunt squirrels with the Marlin fits me a lot better, scope or iron sights. IMHO I would buy the Marlin, and spend the extra money on ammo or a scope and ammo.
Old October 3, 2012, 02:25 PM   #49
jmstr

Metalgod,

The three places I frequent the most often for parts are: MidwayUSA dot com, Brownells dot com and gunpartscorp dot com [Numrich]. After that I go to the manufacturers.

I honestly don't remember exactly whom I got the parts from, but I am pretty sure it was Marlin.

You are right. Taking the entire mechanism apart was a real PAIN to fix everything. Before you go to that step you should frequent rimfirecentral and the marlinowners website to pick up tips on parts that could be giving you fits. That way you can order everything you need at once and only pull it apart once.

I asked about storing 'cocked' as I did that and couldn't figure out the reason I was getting light strikes on the rifle years later. DOH!

The key with these rifles is a good bore. Outside looks be darned, the mechanism/bore is what makes it accurate!