The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Closed Thread

Old July 12, 2011, 06:20 PM   #1
jaughtman

SEALS Training Quote.....

I have a buddy (at church of all places) that is a former SEAL and while talking hunting last Sunday I offered to take him to the range with me as he mentioned he did not shoot pistols much anymore - I thought it would be a real hoot to see him shoot. Instead he replied "Nah, the way I was taught is pure instinctive shooting - just point and shoot until the target is neutralized. I waste way too much ammo at a range doing that". LOL. I got a kick out of it at least.....

j
Old July 12, 2011, 06:42 PM   #2
threegun

Are you sure he is Seals trained?

I can't tell you how many "Seals" and "snipers" I have met here at the shop LOL.
Old July 12, 2011, 07:11 PM   #3
Wagonman

Sounds like a liar/wannabe.....shooting is a perishable skill no matter how expert you are
Old July 12, 2011, 07:19 PM   #4
threegun

I always question when someone says they can shoot "instinctive" but not traditional. I had a friend once tell me that he was better point shooting than aimed fire. This was in a high school criminal justice class. He was the supposed expert shot who got whipped by me and a couple others. That was his excuse LOL.
Old July 12, 2011, 07:26 PM   #5
jaughtman

Thanks for the vote of confidence....

but he has the photos, medals, etc. to back it up. He is a very humble guy that only revealed he was a SEAL after repeatedly asking what he did in the Navy when I met him. He mostly uses his military background and creditials (such as the forementioned photos, recounts, etc.) to get the kids interested in coming to the Youth events. He shares some of his stories as part of his church work with kids. But I hear the same blowhards at the LGS all the time too.

Quote:
Sounds like a liar/wannabe.....shooting is a perishable skill no matter how expert you are
That was his entire point - since he had not done it in a while he thought he would just waste ammo....
J
Old July 12, 2011, 08:22 PM   #6
JerryM

It is like a hunter saying that he cannot shoot paper targets, but is deadly on game.
What can I say except, Baloney?
Jerry
Ecclesiastes 12:13  ¶Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man.
14  For God shall bring every work into judgment, with every secret thing, whether it be good, or whether it be evil.
Old July 12, 2011, 08:45 PM   #7
TylerD45ACP

I think the guy is an Navy SEAL... (Arm Chair Division, 2nd Batallion, 1st Chairvarly)
Old July 12, 2011, 08:47 PM   #8
DiscoRacing

Ive had the same problem for years...

...the ammo wasting that is...

...always wondered what caused it...

... guess I was TRAINED..in a previous life
Old July 12, 2011, 09:15 PM   #9
TylerD45ACP

Hahaha me to Disco but I trained and become competent. If a guy claiming to be a SEAL is saying he will waste your ammo by spraying rounds all over because he was taught to point shoot, he is not a SEAL. He is a guy who said he was but cant show you because he sucks at shooting.
Old July 12, 2011, 09:23 PM   #10
Capt. Charlie
Moderator Emeritus

Oh for Pete's sake! The OP is essentially asking if point shooting (a proven technique, by the way) is the primary method used by SEALS. Instead, every reply here calls BS.

I've met several dozen people over the years that claimed to be active or retired SEALS. Only two proved to be the real deal, and both were laid-back, humble, and highly intelligent, and yeah, both were church-going guys.

I agree that far too many Internet commandos claim to be SEALS, but until a REAL Navy SEAL can refute this, let's give the OP the benefit of the doubt; shall we?

And until then, this one's closed.

I train in earnest, to do the things that I pray in earnest, I'll never have to do.

--Capt. Charlie
Closed Thread