The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old May 10, 2011, 12:20 PM   #1
anthony6727

Brand New SLP Help

Hi All,

I am happy to say that I purchased my first gun yesterday. FNH SLP Mark 1

I am no expert by any means and I need some help with the basics. First thing I was sure to do was read the instruction manual. It states that new SLP's are covered in some anti-rust agent that needs to be removed. Following the advice of the store I purchased it from, I bought the following items:

1. A 12 gauge cleaning snake
2. can of Rem action cleaner
3. Bottle of Gun oil.
4. Two cheap tooth Brushes.

Now, my questions is what is the proper way to remove this anti-rust agent.

So my process has been the following:

1. Dissasemble the weapon (after checking that it's unloaded of course )
2. I then proceeded to spray some Rem. Cleaner down the barrel and i applied it directly to the snake itself.
3. Then per the instruction booklet I passed the snake through the barrel from the loading end of the barrel to the barrel exit.
4. I passed it through a couple of times.

Now, my understanding is that this Rem. Action cleaner can't just be left on the gun, so you need to apply the gun oil and then repreat the process with the barrel.

Now, I'm assuming that I need a snake for the Rem. Cleaner, and one for the Oil?

And as for the action, I just sprayed the cleaner in the action, scrubbed around with the tooth brush, wiped it down with some paper towel and then repeated with some oil and a new tooth brush?

I'm taking the gun to the range Saturday and I just want to be sure I've done the prep work right and I'm cleaning correctly. Any insights would be greatly appreciated!

Pics Soon to Come!
Old May 11, 2011, 02:47 PM   #2
rsnell

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct...tnumber=505608

The kit that is available at the above web address is the place to start. This kit is probably available at one of your local gun dealers. Use cotton, not synthetic patches. Wrap the patch around the bore brush to get the best fit. A tight fit is important to get the bore clean.

I run the bore brush through the barrel form the breach 10 times. Wet a cotton patch, 12 gage in your case, around the bore brush, and run it through the barrel from the breach end. Wet another patch and repeat. Wrap a dry patch around the bore brush and run it through the barrel. If it comes out clean, you are done. If not, repeat the entire operation.

Clean the action as directed by the manufacturer. Lightly lubricate the moving parts with several drops of gun oil. DO NOT USE WD40. Put a little gun oil on a cotton cloth and wipe the exterior metal parts.

I will supply additional information if your shotgun has removable choke tubes.

Bob Snell
Old May 11, 2011, 02:51 PM   #3
anthony6727

Bob,

Thanks so much for the reply. Yes, my SLP does have removable chokes.

I know this is a difficult question to type out. It's more of the "show you how" type of deal. Thanks for the message.
Old May 13, 2011, 12:06 AM   #4
arizona98tj

Anthony....congrats on your purchase of the SLP.

Here is some FNH SLP info from my site. As a new owner, you may find it helpful (or not).
Old May 15, 2011, 06:06 PM   #5
C0untZer0

How do you like your SLP?

I've been thinking about getting a Mossberg 930 and I've heard a lot of people recomend the SLP as an alternative...

I hope you write out a range report here !
Old May 17, 2011, 06:07 PM   #6
anthony6727

Love my SLP!

I love my SLP. I was kind of torn because initially i was going to get a Benelli M4. But when i realized that I wanted to take this gun out to the range and shoot skeet, the Ghost Sites made me shy away. I got the SLP mark 1 with the optic rail configuration and i couldn't be happier!

I went out last saturday and shot some skeet with it and had a ton of fun. It also cycled everything I fed it, even the cheapest walmart ammo I could find.

To be honest, this is my first gun, so I don't feel qualified to write up a real "range report" since I have a lack of experience with other firearms to compare, etc.

All i can tell you is that my friends are jealous and I am very happy with the purchase. I do not regret the purchased in anyway and I would highly recommend it.

On a side note, I tried punching out the trigger assembly pins with an L wrench, which was a BIG mistake and I actually bent one of the tubes that hold the pins. Called up FNH and they sent me the parts I needed free of charge. Needless to say, I have learned my lesson.
Old May 17, 2011, 07:11 PM   #7
Drummer101

I just got a shotgun and there is a bunch of info in this thread, http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=451399
Old May 17, 2011, 08:13 PM   #8
C0untZer0

Quote:
To be honest, this is my first gun, so I don't feel qualified to write up a real "range report" since I have a lack of experience with other firearms to compare, etc.
That doesn't stop NutNFancy. He makes whole YouTube videos about things he has no experience with.

Thanks for sharing your impressions. At the very least we know that the SLP consistently feeds and ejects and probably isn't picky about ammo.

It sounds like you made a good buy.