The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 17, 2009, 03:31 PM   #1
Death from Afar

Urgent Shotgun Issues- HELP!

Team ,we are in the middle of the pigeon shooting time of the year and its been great- around 80 -100 birds per day.

My Benelli M2 is playing up. I noticed it yesterday. When you load a shell into the magazine, 3 times out of 5 or so the shell will no longer stay in the magazine and go straight out onto the shell lifter. I thought I wasnt putting the rounds in properly, but even when they are shoved very hard in, they sometimes go flying out again. Of course, the gun functions OK, but at worst you only have two rounds in the gun!

To recap. Once i load the round into the magazine, as soon as my fingers are clear the round is no longer held in place and goes flyingout onto the shell lifter. Any ideas as a fix? I really would value any help!
Old October 17, 2009, 03:59 PM   #2
Slopemeno

Sounds like you're having an issue with the shell stops. They're usually two spring-like tabs that keep the rounds in the magazine, and release them at the proper time in the firing cycle. Are they both moving? Do they seem sticky?
Old October 17, 2009, 07:45 PM   #3
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Deep clean the action.

A spray scrubber followed by a blow out with canned air and relubing may help.

Also look to see if seeds or other stuff are impinging on the movement of the shell stops.
Old October 17, 2009, 11:28 PM   #4
musicmatty

Just had my shell stop replaced in my 20+yr old Ranger 120 12guage. Once you would eject one from the mag tube for loading, they would ALL start to piggy back out together causing a jam.

Sounds like the same problem you are having. Deep cleaning, was not enough for mine at this point...but it may help yours.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Gettysburg PA - 101109 055.jpg (242.4 KB, 38 views)

Last edited by musicmatty; October 17, 2009 at 11:34 PM.
Old October 19, 2009, 02:42 PM   #5
Death from Afar

that seems to have fixed it..

Gave it a very massive clean- and i mean i was watching three episodes of "deadwood" while i did it. The gun is now as clean as you can get....and that seems to have fixed it.

A useful lesson. Problem is, going out again this weekend and there are many pigeons that need a shootin'.