The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 22, 2013, 11:07 PM   #1
Renuco612

1st Handgun for His/Hers

So I'm ready to buy my first handgun. I have been shooting a couple times already. I have been shooting with a buddy of mine who's a police officer so he taught me a bunch of things. I have been shooting a kimber 1911 and I love it. I've rented a couple pistols like a Sig p226, 229, clocks, and a kimber rimfire target.

My issue is that I also want to train my wife but she has never shot a gun in her life. So what would be the ideal thing to buy? I was thinking a .22 cal so I though the Kimber rimfire target might be good. My wife is small but her hands are big and she has long fingers if that helps in deciding.

Any suggestions?
Old February 23, 2013, 12:57 AM   #2
Sheriff Gotcha

My girlfriend shoots my CZ and FNS (both 9mm) just fine and she's small with small hands. She loves shooting my 22 though so your wife will probably be the same.

I'm planning on getting my girl a Bersa Thunder in 380 for her carry piece, so there's an idea as well.
Old February 23, 2013, 01:07 AM   #3
Renuco612

yeah I was thinking a .22 would be ideal to start with which is why I am leaning towards the Kimber Rimfire. Theres so much to choose from and going to the range a testing a bunch of pistols would take forever.

Any suggestions on a which .22 1911 to buy for a good price?
Old February 23, 2013, 01:27 AM   #4
ClydeFrog

My input; wife-spouse training...

Here are a few good websites to know & grow to love;
www.nra.org www.gunsamerica.com www.brownells.com www.nachezss.com www.jgsales.com www.policehq.com www.handgunlaw.us www.gunlawguide.com www.crimsontrace.com www.gunvideo.com www.paladin-press.com www.uscav.com www.blackhawk.com www.blade-tech.com www.comholsters.com www.mitchrosen.com www.safariland.com www.usgalco.com www.kirkpatrickleather.com www.trijicon.com .

I'd join the NRA, they offer training & support 2A/gun owner rights nationwide. Know & understand the state/local use of force and gun laws. Buy a new or NIB(new in box) model handgun. For your use(s), I'd suggest a simple robust SIG Sauer P229R or P226R DAK in .40 or the top rated .357sig. You can buy a after market kit(slide barrel magazine etc) then fire .22LR to practice & a .40 to carry.
Other smart picks include; the S&W SD9 or SD40, the Walther PPX, the Beretta PX4 C(constant action) in .40S&W or 9mm(9mm Luger), the HK P30 or P2000 in LEM(law enforcement modification). Night sights(Trijicon HD) or a laser-aimer; www.lasermax.com may be useful. Most lethal force incidents occur in low light.
Only use factory made, high quality rounds for carry/home defense. No reloads or hand loaded ammunition. Top brands include DPX, Hornady Critical Duty, Ranger T/T Series, Golden Saber, Speer Gold Dot, Federal, Buffalo Bore.
Clean your firearm & check it often. A jam or misfire because of dirt/lack of cleaning isn't good in a serious event.
Teach your spouse that firearms are not toys, props or fashion statements. If she honestly lacks the skills or proper mindset to use lethal force, DO NOT let her carry a loaded firearm.

Stay safe & enjoy the shooting sports;
Clyde
Old February 23, 2013, 01:28 AM   #5
BuckRub

First timers- should get a BB pistol. You can shoot every day in the yard and learn first before teaching yourself bad habits. Plus BBs are cheaper than ammo.
Old February 23, 2013, 08:52 AM   #6
Mastery

For your wife, find a .22 pistol to start her out on. Not much recoil at all, and she'll be able to work on her stance, grip, and start working on issues like flinching. Get her out to a range with one for a few trips. She'll let you know when she's ready to try something bigger.

Lots of patience is needed though. If you have a highly qualified range instructor near you, it may work well to allow another person to coach her on the best ways to learn to shoot. We all think we know best...but if you want her to really come to love shooting, it may work best to allow an independent third party to be the coach.
Old February 23, 2013, 08:53 AM   #7
AH.74

Quote:
Theres so much to choose from and going to the range a testing a bunch of pistols would take forever.
A) It's worth taking the time to find what works well for you, and her.

B) Let her choose what she wants. It's the only way.

C) As a new shooter yourself, do not train your wife. Invest in professional training for the both of you.
Old February 23, 2013, 09:43 AM   #8
AndyWest

Renuco, don't limit yourself to 1911-style 22s. In fact, I'd recommend the Ruger SR22.
Old February 23, 2013, 09:43 AM   #9
Pico

Revolver

Wrong forum I know but I think a moderately weighted .357 magnum revolver is a great starting point for everyone. Begin with shooting .38 spl and work her up to stronger loads. Once she has mastered the basics of handling her revolver, try her with a semi-auto. Glock, XD, Sig, whatever fits her hand, chambered in 9 mm or .40.

Sorry to disagree with others, but .22LR is not the way to go or else she will never learn to manage recoil.

And don't be amazed if she becomes a better shot than you.

Pico
Old February 23, 2013, 10:51 AM   #10
loose_holster_dan

my wife LOVES my p226, and she is very tiny. the first range trip was all 22 with exception of one try with a cz p07 duty (i do not recommend this gun). the p07 had too much muzzle flip for her and scared her. the next trip, i handed her a p226 with short reset trigger (she has tiny hands). she was a natural. loved it. the heavier steel gun had much less muzzle rise, and the recoil was far more manageable than on the poly gun. plus, she is so weak, that she has trouble racking many slides, so compacts or shorter (height) slide steel guns like cz 75b are too hard for her. she can just barely rack a p226 if she cocks the hammer first.
"A Sig is like a lightsaber - not as clumsy or random as a Glock."
Old February 23, 2013, 02:52 PM   #11
gundog5

Take a look at the ruger 22/45. Having 3 ladies (wife and two daughters) I would highly recommend starting her off with a 22. She can shoot and shoot and hopefully really enjoy the experence. Then, after she gets hooked introduce her to larger handguns. For me, the last thing I would do is stick a 45 in her hands, scare the crap out of her and loose a shooting partner who otherwise might have wanted to buy more guns....
Old February 24, 2013, 12:27 PM   #12
Renuco612

Really looking in the Ruger sr22. I've been reading a lot about it and a lot of people have good things to say. It sounds like a good starter pistol for my wife to start with bit Im also going to get my Kimber Eclipse Custom II only because she said can.

Anybody from California specially the Bay Area recommend any gun shops in particular?
Old February 24, 2013, 01:53 PM   #13
gundog5

While not exactly the bay area, You need to take a trip to Mantica/medesto and visit the bass pro shop. They have the best assortment of firearms around. most of the smaller stores have been to are almost cleaned out, but BPS always seems to have full display cases. In addition, they have a movie theater and red robbin next door so take your wife and make a day out of it.
Old February 24, 2013, 04:01 PM   #14
minus_p

You've had lots of good advice on the guns. As to shops, City Arms in Pacifica is pretty good. Best to go at non-peak times. Best if you know what you want. If they don't have it, they will try to sell you what they do have, which may or may not be helpful. As to training, I'd go to Jackson Arms in South San Francisco. Again, best to go at non-peak times. Good luck.
Old February 24, 2013, 06:03 PM   #15
Chesster

I like a Ruger MKIII .22LR.
Vote 'Pro-Choice' on 2nd Amendment issues!!!
Old February 24, 2013, 07:51 PM   #16
SauerGrapes

Quote:
I like a Ruger MKIII .22LR.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Probably one of the best plinking 22s' on the planet.

R.I.P.____Murphy
Old February 26, 2013, 11:14 AM   #17
Renuco612

Anybody have any additional information on how long the wait list will be for a ruger sr22. One of the local shops said about 4 to 6 months. I guess i have to wait a bit. A couple shops do have some 9mm but i know that's to strong to start Off my wife with.
Old February 26, 2013, 05:02 PM   #18
kjd2121

How about .380 caliber. That's what my wife started with (Walther PK380) and she now has graduated to 9mm. She also shoots a full size Glock 21 .45 with no problems.

Please do NOT buy a Walther PK380 - POS (
Old February 26, 2013, 05:13 PM   #19
Pilot

First of all, do not "train" your wife. It will not go well. Have your buddy or actually I would recommend a certified NRA instructor, instead of a cop, go through the basics with her alone, without you around.

As far as firearms go, that should be her choice also, so as part of her training maybe rent her a few different pistols, or better yet, ask her which she'd like to try. My wife prefers my HK P7M8, and P7 PSP to all my other semi's except for the Ruger MK II's which is what she shoots most of the time. However, not for self defense purposes.
Old February 26, 2013, 05:58 PM   #20
Hansam

I recommend the Ruger MKII or MKIII as a first gun semi-auto gun. Great gun and cheap (still cheap if you can find it) ammo. Its easy to shoot, feels like a 1911 in the hand and is very accurate so its easy to see when the bad shooting is your fault.

Definitely get training for both you and your wife. I'd suggest getting two pistols (his and hers) and taking a course together. That's what my wife and I do now to improve our shooting. It'll be a good way to learn AND bond with your wife.

We're looking at our finances and trying to see if we could set aside money for a week long vacation to Gunsite Academy as a couple next year.
Old February 26, 2013, 07:45 PM   #21
Renuco612

Thanks A bunch yall!!!! My wife and I plan on doing classes, me teaching her would not be a good thing which is exactly what I told her so she did agree on classes. Finding the right time and getting a schedule put together between the kids and and their activities.

Im thinking of finally taking my dads Jennings j22 out of the closet and shooting it for the first time. its been sitting for almost 30 years without 1 round being put through is barrel. How would that be for a start for her?
Old February 26, 2013, 08:05 PM   #22
Hansam

A Jennings J22 is hardly what I'd call a good gun for a beginner. They're hit and miss in quality and reliability and frankly I'm not a fan of the ergonomics - they're too small to learn how to shoot with.

If its all you've got then go with it but really I would strongly suggest getting a Ruger Mk II or Mk III. They can be found relatively inexpensively and will provide you with much better reliability and shootability than the J22.
Old February 26, 2013, 09:33 PM   #23
ClydeFrog

Jennings pistols

I'd say nyet to the .22LR Jennings. It's a cheap Sat Night Special type gat.

The owner/designer; Jennings was on trial for felony charges too.
Unrated to the gun industry but he did have several civil cases that busted him $$$ wise. Due to the firearm design/safety/QC.

I'd start with a simple stainless .38spl revolver, a .22LR target pistol or a LE trade-in pistol. In .40, 9x19mm.
FWIW, SIG & Glock have kits with .22LR that can convert from .40/9x19mm to the smaller .22LR for plinking or skill training.

I prefer the .357sig caliber for duty or protection but a 9mm or .40 will do great.

ClydeFrog
Old February 26, 2013, 10:11 PM   #24
great scot

I remember reading an article by Jeff Cooper on this issue and he recommended a Walther PPK in .22. They are easy to shoot (especially in single action), reliable, and easy to field strip and maintain. In a pinch, you could use one as a ccw or self defense. By coincidence, Walther has just reintroduced the Walther PPK in .22 this year.
Old February 27, 2013, 12:02 AM   #25
Doc TH

Start with a .22 - a Ruger or Browning are the best affordable choices. It will still work for the both of you as a range gun that's affordable to shoot when/if she wants to move on to a centerfire.