The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old September 4, 2011, 09:11 PM   #1
Double Naught Spy

Old .22 Rifle ID

I was given this .22 rifle. There is no brand name, no model number, and no serial number. The person who gave it to me used it for a gunsmithing project to reblue it. The stock and all parts but the butt plate are original. The mechanism/breech looks like it was made for a bottom mag, but the wood stock does not allow it. It looks like it has a mag tube, but it does not.

Any help on identifying would be terrific. Thank you.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG-20110904-00026%20Rifle.jpg (19.0 KB, 151 views)
File Type: jpg IMG-20110904-00030%20Rifle%20.jpg (92.9 KB, 108 views)
File Type: jpg IMG-20110904-00031Rifle.jpg (47.7 KB, 107 views)
Old September 4, 2011, 10:45 PM   #2
gyvel

The two arrows pointing in opposite directions on the barrel calibre markings are reminiscent of those used on Marlin rifles. This was could have been a bargain basement gun or a "house brand" gun made by Marlin.

Compare your gun to this Marlin "Tom Mix" rifle on Gunbroker and see if there is any similarity. Here is the auction number: Auction # 249159541.

The "magazine cutout" in the bottom of the receiver almost looks to be hand done. It's possible that someone (bubba) was trying to convert this to a repeater.

Last edited by gyvel; September 4, 2011 at 11:17 PM.
Old September 4, 2011, 10:54 PM   #3
James K
Member In Memoriam

I have seen single shot guns with a magazine opening cut. Apparently a few manufacturers found it cheaper to make all their receivers the same and add a few parts and a different stock for repeaters. I am not sure why, but when I look at that gun, the word "Philippines" comes to mind. Is there any country mark on it?

Jim
Old September 5, 2011, 06:45 AM   #4
Double Naught Spy

It does reseMble the Marlin, thank you. As for bubba trying to convert the rifle, I believe the mod is original or at least Bubba left the exact sort of tool marks as the manufacturer.
Old September 5, 2011, 01:19 PM   #5
Mike Irwin
Staff

A Marlin is the first thing that popped into my mind. Friend of mine had one that looked very similar. It was cocked by pulling back on the cocking knob on the bolt.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.