The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old May 26, 2013, 01:24 PM   #26
Cosmodragoon

I am actively looking for the Patriot in my original post now. Either I'll buy that or an old 4" Sp101 in .32 H&R that can be rechambered, if I can find it. As per some of these novelties posted along the way, I've got a grippe.

I have been in the market for a S&W 432PD for a long time. The appeal is that it's a tiny 6-shooter in manageable .32 H&R Magnum with a shrouded hammer. Those Charter Undercoverettes are still in current production and actually available, if you don't mind what color you get. (Of course, the case can be made that the gold & black model is masculine enough.) I've got two problems with them though. First is the exposed hammer. I understand the benefits but that rules it out for me as "pocket carry". The second and bigger problem is that they are only a 5-shot revolver. A major and perhaps the major selling point in the .32 magnum revolvers is that you could pack 6 on the same frame where .38s only allowed for 5. For what conceivable reason did Charter Arms not give these the extra capacity?
Old June 1, 2013, 02:20 PM   #27
LouisianaMan

Cosmodragoon,
Pure speculation on my part:
1. Perhaps saves width to maximize concealment?
2. Ditto for an ounce or two?
3. It most probably just allows Charter to use much of the same tooling and internal parts it uses for the .22's or .38's, thereby keeping down cost. I suspect that changing the geometry of the cylinder from 5 (72 degrees each trigger pull) to 6 shots (60 degrees each) would change almost every operating part's machining and fitting angles & tolerances.

Just guesses--maybe it will help smoke out the real reason(s).

Why not contact Charter and ask? While you're at it, see what they say about bobbing the hammer or replacing it with one of their purpose-built bobbed hammers. Can't hurt to ask.
Old June 6, 2013, 07:55 PM   #28
Old Stony

Are the Charters good guns?........No. If you want a cheap gun that won't hold up to years of good service and are only looking for something with a cheap price, they will fill the bill for you. If you want a cheap gun, you only get cheap quality.
Old June 6, 2013, 08:07 PM   #29
magnum777

I say spend the money and get a Ruger or Smith & Wesson, even a used one is better than Charter.
Old June 6, 2013, 08:15 PM   #30
Bill DeShivs

I have been working on, collecting, engraving, and shooting guns for 40 years.
I have S&Ws & Colts. The Charters are good little guns. Just because they aren't made like a S&W doesn't mean they aren't serviceable firearms. We keep 2 stashed around the house.
Old June 6, 2013, 10:11 PM   #31
jolly roger

I used to have a Bulldog first model in bright nickel. Only one I have ever seen...shoulda kept it. Good shooter actually. Also had a stainless Undercover that was decent too.

Tags
.327 , arms , charter , patriot