The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 17, 2012, 09:27 PM   #1
flintlock.50

Bulk reloading for AR-15

Finally got my AR. Now I'm trying to decide whether to reload for it. I've reloaded for my .30-06 and .38 spl for decades. Bulk loading for the .38 spl is easy because I use a carbide die… no lubing cases. The .30-06 isn't too bad because I never load more than 50 at a time. I still lube those cases on a pad and have to wipe each after sizing. That's a pain, but there are never that many.

The thought of lubing and wiping enough cases to feed my AR is intimidating. I admit I haven't kept up with the latest gadgets and techniques. So how does one simplify the process to allow high volume loading?

Thanks!

A government that takes from Peter to pay Paul can always count on Paul's vote!
Old December 17, 2012, 09:35 PM   #2
jepp2

Quote:
So how does one simplify the process to allow high volume loading?
Everyone has their preferences.

Personally I use synthetic motor oil for my lube. Why? It lubes extremely well, is easy to apply and easy to remove. Never have any dents since it takes very little lube.

Using a RockChucker single stage press, I can lube and size 750 rounds per hour. To remove the lube, I put a small amount of OMS (odorless mineral spirits) in my tumbler with fine walnut hull media and tumble my brass for about 30 minutes.
Old December 17, 2012, 09:50 PM   #3
flintlock.50

Quote:
I use synthetic motor oil for my lube.
I assume you still apply the oil by rolling the cases on a pad, right?

Quote:
I put a small amount of OMS (odorless mineral spirits) in my tumbler with fine walnut hull media and tumble my brass for about 30 minutes.
Yeah, I kinda figured. I don't have a tumbler.

A government that takes from Peter to pay Paul can always count on Paul's vote!
Old December 18, 2012, 12:33 AM   #4
Doby45

{Edit of copyrighted web site photo. Please read forum policy on this.}

I swipe my thumb and index finger, kinda like bank tellers swipe their fingers in that pink stuff, and then I can apply a very small amount to the piece of brass as I am putting it in the shell holder. Actually, it is easier to do than to explain. Once all my brass is sized, trimmed and chamfered it then goes into the tumbler. Comes out looking like new money.

Last edited by Unclenick; December 18, 2012 at 10:19 AM. Reason: S
Old December 18, 2012, 12:45 AM   #5
chris in va

It doesn't take much lube. I use hornady Unique, just a touch.

The real PITA is trimming the darn things.
Old December 18, 2012, 10:02 AM   #6
jepp2

Quote:
I assume you still apply the oil by rolling the cases on a pad, right?
I don't use a traditional pad (like RCBS sells) because for me they are small and you can build up contaminants on them. I take a blue paper shop towel from a roll, fold it in half long ways and put some oil drops on it. It just applies a lighter film more uniformly for me, and I can easily change when it starts to become contaminated. I treat my sizing dies as my friends .

I concur that Imperial Sizing Die Wax is an outstanding lube. I just haven't found a way to efficiently apply it for volume loading. But I agree completely with everything Doby45 said about it.
Old December 18, 2012, 10:08 AM   #7
hounddawg

how to lube 700 rounds of .223 in less than a minute with Imperial Sizing Wax. Like the guy said in the video it does not take much, not near as much as it appears to in this video. I have lubed appx 1000 cases this way and still have over 3/4 of my tin of wax left. BTW I have never had a single case stick since I switched to ISW, I love the stuff

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKY32kx7alQ
Old December 18, 2012, 10:09 AM   #8
schmellba99

I commandeered an old cookie sheet from the wife several years ago. Spread your brass out on the sheet, give them a couple of squirts of Dillon (yes, I actually use some blue products) Case Lube, shake the sheet around to distribute the lube and let it sit for about 5 minutes.

Usually I do this first, then prime my feed tubes or put the dies in the press, etc. Load away after that.

I used to toss everything into a tumbler for a few minutes to get the excess lube off, but I've gotten to where I give the pile of loaded rounds a squirt or two of non CFC brake parts cleaner, wrap them up in a towel and shake them up for about 30 seconds. Let everything dry off and you have clean shiny rounds devoid of any excess lube, dirt, grit, etc. Works like a champ.
Old December 18, 2012, 11:46 AM   #9
JimDandy

Press Run #1
RCBS Lube Die (I think #1, but check to be sure)
Decap

Press Run #2

Resize, prime, charge, bullet, seat, crimp (if appropriate)

There's actually a video on Youtube showing someone who used an Ammo Plant and a Mr Bullet Bulletfeeder to reload this stuff. They've come closest to "writing the book" on it that I've seen.
Old December 18, 2012, 12:07 PM   #10
hounddawg

Just ran 50 on my LnL in 20 min or so including setup. Swapping out powder roters and loading the primer tube took longer than running the 50 which were sized and decaped then washed and dried. I could probably do 250 to 300 a hour and not feel rushed and that is without a case or bullet feeder I lube em, deprime them, wash and dry them then store them in large ziplock bags til needed. Next run I prime, load powder and seat the bullet. I don't bother with crimping, never been able to find any setback I could measure