The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old April 21, 2000, 09:36 AM   #1
MakAttack

This is my first post - hello to all.

I recently purchased a used 870 Wingmaster 12ga 2 3/4" with the intent of modifying it from the current "field" configuration into a defense weapon. The gun is in excellent tight mechanical condition with a worn finish on the barrel & receiver.

Current barrel is 27" modified choke. I want to cut the length to 18 or 19" (depends on how far an magazine extension sticks out). But I wonder what restriction I would have at that length. Do I want any restriction at all? Cost is a consideration, but should I search the gun shows for a different barrel?

Any help is appreciated - & thnaks.

Mak

------------------
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work"
Thomas Alva Edison
Old April 21, 2000, 09:49 AM   #2
Mike Irwin
Staff

Mak,

If you lop the barrel off, you simply get a cylinder-bore "choke," meaning that there is no choke restriction at all. The shotgun choking is in the last inch or two of barrel in most guns.

Many many police/riot style shotguns are cylinder bored.

Why don't you just scout around and purchase a used riot-style barrel? They're available. You might even be able to call Gun Parts Corp. and get one.
Old April 21, 2000, 12:22 PM   #3
jthuang

As Mr. Irwin stated, you should be okay with a cylinder bore, unless you need more performance out of buckshot loads. A cylinder bore will allow consistent patterning without deformation of pellets (like with a fully choked bore) so you should pattern your gun at expected home defense ranges. Patterning will give you insight as to relative pellet placement.

If you have a bit more money to spend, you may want to have a gunsmith jug choke your barrel. This will give tighter buckshot patterns without affecting your ability to shoot slugs.

If you have even more money, you may send your barrel to Hans Vang to get Vang Comp'd. John Farnam also recommends the Patternmaster (http://www.patternmaster.com) choke tube for defensive shotguns but if you're going to chop your shotgun, installing a screw-in choke like the Patternmaster is not feasible.

HTH,

Justin

------------------
Justin T. Huang, Esq.
late of Kennett Square, Pennsylvania
Old April 22, 2000, 04:38 AM   #4
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

My HD 870 has the original bbl cut down to 18" and a little and no choke. We've found out that patterns are better with even just a little choke.A few points of constriction will round the patterns. However, that's not too important at typical HD ranges.

What is important here is that the bbl be at LEAST 18" long, measured from the muzzle to the breech face.

And whatever you decide on bbl length, options, accessories,etc, practice,practice, practice....