The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 25, 2013, 04:30 PM   #1
HK_Flo

Walther PPQ?

Well I ordered one. Been looking for this gun locally for awhile with no luck. Saw one on budsgunhop this morning and ordered it! They are already sold out again. I saw them going for $800+ on gunbroker so cant be too bad of a gun right?

Anyone own one and have any opinions? Seems like mags are rare, but P99 mags will work in it? Have to try and track down some before any legislation passes
Old January 25, 2013, 06:37 PM   #2
Budman1128

I've got the .40 cal and love it. The ergonomics on the handle are like no other I've ever held and not 1 jam in the 1st 200 rounds. I'm sure you'll be happy.
Old January 25, 2013, 06:58 PM   #3
WVsig

The gun is discontinued. It will be hard to find one NIB. A new US made versions with a button mag release is in the works. It is the PPQ M2 which will come in 4" and 5" versions.

http://www.waltherarms.com/products/handguns/ppq-m2/

Old January 25, 2013, 07:46 PM   #4
rickmelear

Got one, its the the best tuperware piece by a long shot and I own them all. It ain't a 1911 but its mighty close.
Old January 25, 2013, 08:22 PM   #5
HK_Flo

Yeah I heard they are discontinuing the trigger guard release (dumb IMHO, I really love the HK/walther mag release) so I wanted to get one before that.

I have just never held one in person, shot my buddies p99 and loved that, by all accounts the PPQ is better.
Old January 25, 2013, 08:58 PM   #6
eviltravis

According to the Walther rep at the Shot Show, it is still up in the air as to whether or not the original version of the PPQ with the paddle style magazine release will be discontinued.

I have both the first gen P99 and the original PPQ.

My P99 magazines will not work in my PPQ. The barrel feed ramp contacts the very top front of the magazine with the slide all the way to the rear.

I have not tried this, but it is my understanding that newer generation P99 magazines will work in the origional PPQ.

The original PPQ magazines will work in my old P99.

The PPQm2 has no magazine compatibility with the original PPQ or the P99. (Suck)

The magazine compatibility issue is kind of a bummer. After handling the m2 version of the PPQ it is my opinion that the original magazine release under the trigger guard is preferable. I noticed that the m2 button style magazine release is right where my thumb lives with the pistol in a firing grip. I speculate that I may accidentally eject the magazine during firing with the m2 system. I'm sure that experiences may vary in regards to this, and that with practice I could probably get used to it. I will say that my PPQ has the best trigger of any striker fired weapon that I have ever used, though it is quite close to my P99's single action trigger pull.

If I was in the market for a PPQ today, I would hold out for the m2 just to ensure a ready supply of magazines in the future. With the original PPQ's fate up in the air it would a safe bet that mags will get rare.

I have to throw this in - the new PPX was also on display at SHOT... It was moderately awful. I love my Walther pistols, but the PPX looked and felt awkward. They are marketing it as an entry level pistol at a lower price point.

ET
Old January 26, 2013, 12:50 AM   #7
Valerko

I have one in 9mm and let's just say I've placed third in our last club's competition against HK USP tricked out with weights and perks and $2k plus Springfield 1911 , here I am with my PPq and 3-1/2 barrel. Love that thing.
Old January 26, 2013, 01:23 AM   #8
Tactical Jackalope

I gave mine to one of my best friends. Good gun, just wasn't for me.
Old January 26, 2013, 01:53 AM   #9
kinoons

First, I love my PPQ. Best money I ever spent on a pistol.

Second, the magnum research baby eagle 9mm fast action magazines, as well as the second gen p99 mags, work in a PPQ. Unless there is a plan to discontinue both of those magazines shouldn't be a huge issue.
Old January 26, 2013, 02:43 AM   #10
RBid

The PPQ in 9mm is my favorite handgun. I love it.

The magnum research branded mag that is compatible with the PPQ is part #:
Magfa915

Second gen P99 mags do work, as well.
Old January 26, 2013, 09:38 AM   #11
FairWarning

I remember when PPQs were being sold for as little as $488 online (last year)! Wish I had gotten one then.
Old January 26, 2013, 10:19 AM   #12
ScotchMan

I have really wanted a PPQ since I started shooting a few years ago. I held off because we had a high-cap magazine ban in NY and the thought of only having 10 round mags for it was undesirable.

Now that they are (potentially) dropping the superior paddle mag release, and making new magazines incompatible as eviltravis described above, the whole thing has become a big PITA. I held a used but unfired PPQ about a month ago and didn't buy it, and now I am kind of glad.

Walther needs to keep the PPQ and M2 in production. If they don't, I will probably just get a P30 in LEM instead. Walther is shooting themselves in the foot on this; most Walther buyers love the paddle release. And for the new American market they are trying to get into, which hates the paddle because they haven't given it a chance, they have the PPX for that.

I agree the PPX is ugly and "moderately awful", but at the price point it beats the snot out of a Ruger SR9 or S&W SD9 VE. Me, I'd rather spend another $100 and have a dozen more options. But a lot of people go in with tiny budgets wanting just one gun to shoot once, put in the nightstand and let it ward off evil. For those people, I think the PPX will be highly successful.

NRA Instructor
NRA Member
Old January 26, 2013, 10:35 AM   #13
Mystro

I own them all. The PPQ is THE best striker fire pistol PERIOD. I cant believe i am saying this but the PPQ is way underpriced as far as I am concerned with what I paid for my HK's.
Best trigger, light weight, German build quality, the design carries easy. and it melts into you hand. It's also THE only striker fire pistol that is fully cocked. That is why the trigger is so good. Its also a tack driver with any garbage ammo I have fed it. None of my modified Glocks triggers breaks as clean as a stock PPQ. My HK, and Glocks never leave the safe since I started EDC the PPQ.
The trigger is excellent new but put 500 rounds through it and the trigger will blow your mind.
Yea, its that good.

All this talk had me run out and put 100 rounds through the PPQ. Nothing like head shots at 30 meters.

"Ask not what you can do for your country, but what free entitlements you can bleed from your country"

Last edited by Mystro; January 26, 2013 at 03:08 PM.
Old January 26, 2013, 04:53 PM   #14
Schnitzjr

PPQ first gun I ever bought and it's also the best gun I ever bought.
I'm all stocked up on magnum Research 10 round mags so no M2 for me.
The M2 has a higher msrp than the original which sucks.
Old January 26, 2013, 05:26 PM   #15
Zhillsauditor

I'm a DA/SA kind of guy, but was always looking for a striker fired pistol that would convert me. The PPQ was that pistol. I've tried glocks, XDs, M&Ps, Kahrs, and keltecs, but the PPQ is just does everything I like and not much I don't. I still like my CZs, but the PPQ is getting taken to the range quite a bit these days.
Old January 26, 2013, 11:27 PM   #16
TunnelRat

Really sad they're abandoning the paddle, but I guess it doesn't make sense to carry both versions. Still kind of stinks for the guys that bought the earlier ones. Will there still be new mags coming out for them?
Maintain situational awareness
Old January 26, 2013, 11:54 PM   #17
balance

Quote:
Really sad they're abandoning the paddle, but I guess it doesn't make sense to carry both versions. Still kind of stinks for the guys that bought the earlier ones. Will there still be new mags coming out for them?
As long as the P99 is still being produced, parts should not be an issue with the original PPQ pistols. The mag and mag release are interchangeable with the P99, and every other part will interchange with the PPQ M2. The only part that may be hard to find in the future, is the frame itself.

I'm not all that concerned about parts availability at the moment, and I won't be selling my PPQ anytime soon, since I prefer the paddle/lever mag release. I shoot this pistol better than any other polymer pistol that I've tried.
Old January 28, 2013, 08:17 AM   #18
loose_holster_dan

love mine. sits in my nightstand and occasionally makes its way to my belt. it will take mags from the striker fire version of the baby eagle.
"A Sig is like a lightsaber - not as clumsy or random as a Glock."
Old January 28, 2013, 09:04 AM   #19
Patriot86

I am a newish PPQ owner but I just love it, its even more fun to shoot than my 1911!

I might even get that new version too but I am getting used to "euro" style mag release.
Old January 28, 2013, 03:15 PM   #20
sigxder

I got mine for a little over $500.00 out the door when they first came out. It really is all that. Best stock trigger on a polymer gun I have ever felt. Superb ergo's. And the damn thing is target gun accurate. And I like the paddle style mag release. That price is crazy. But times are crazy. I read tey are dropping the paddle mag release. Going to the regular button release. Probably more familiar to some. But a great weapon either way.
Old January 28, 2013, 05:07 PM   #21
HK_Flo

Quote:
I got mine for a little over $500.00 out the door when they first came out. It really is all that. Best stock trigger on a polymer gun I have ever felt. Superb ergo's. And the damn thing is target gun accurate. And I like the paddle style mag release. That price is crazy. But times are crazy. I read tey are dropping the paddle mag release. Going to the regular button release. Probably more familiar to some. But a great weapon either way.
I got it for $550 on buds... no way I am paying the $800+ on gunbroker!

Although if the price keeps going up I might sell it...
Old January 31, 2013, 04:57 PM   #22
HK_Flo

GAH!!!!

Well budgunshop just called and canceled my order... "inventory error" They had my card charged for a week - you either have the gun or you don't. Wankers.

+1 for LGS -1 for online BS.

on a positive note I hear Walther is going to continue the PPQ "classic" with paddle style mag release... oh well I wasn't to fond of having smith and wesson stamped on there anyway
Old January 31, 2013, 05:03 PM   #23
sarge1967

I have a PPQ and I love it. Best striker fired pistol out there. Sucks they may discontinue it.
Old June 24, 2013, 10:38 PM   #24
HK_Flo

Update

Well I saw one today at cabelas.

(Click for big)

9mm M2 version, swapped the mag release around for a lefty right away. Feels good. I figure I can always trade it in for the "correct" mag release if those ever come back out.

Initial impressions are freakin sweat. Can't wait to take it to the range tomorrow and break her in.

Last edited by HK_Flo; June 24, 2013 at 11:14 PM.
Old June 25, 2013, 09:35 AM   #25
joe-lumber

PPQ

I will say the PPQ is my favorite pistol. Last weekend I blew a hole out of the bullseye with it. I looked and all except three shots were out of the black bullseye at 7 yards. Just wish the magazines would come in soon as I would like 3 more for my M2 to make a total of 5 and load up a full box of ammo.

This past weekend at a gun show I saw only one at a table but the vendor also had a Navy model with a threaded barrel. Maybe when the mags come c in and the 5" is available I might step out and get another one.
J