The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Firing Line Gun Show > Retail Deals and Feedback

Notices

Closed Thread

Old April 30, 2011, 01:46 PM   #1
drb1611

BUYER BEWARE - CheaperThanDirt

I'm appalled and darn right disappointed at the business decision CheaperThanDirt (CTD) has made regarding an ammo sale to me. Last night, I saw the following ad on their website and ordered 10 boxes.

Item # AMM-512
Ammo .45 Auto Fiocchi 230 Grain FMJ Boxer
Primed Brass Case 50 Rounds per Box $9.39

This morning, after checking the status of my order via My Account on their website and seeing that the product was "backordered", I called to ask why their website confirmed my order against a backordered product, without advising it was backordered. The CS person said, "that due to a system error, the order will not be processed". I then asked to speak to the CS Supervisor - she explained that the product was advertised with the wrong price, and that CTD had made a "business decision" not to honor sales that were confirmed prior to catching the mistake, even though they have stock on the item.

I explained that most people regard CTD as a reputable company; but in my mind, this decision is unethical. I asked if CTD is prepared for the backlash they should expect from many who have ordered their products in the past; and now, appropriately, opt not to do business with them in the future. She simply said, "it was a business decision".

I personally have never encountered this situation before; when I've dealt with companies that have made mistakes in advertising, they honor the advertised price, realizing the negative impact to their business and reputation if they don't.

I will not do business with CheaperThanDirt in the future.

Sig P250C - 9mm/.40/.357/.45; Sig P250FS - 9mm; Sig P250SC - 9mm/.40; Sig P229R DAK - .40/.357/9mm; Sig SP2022 - .40/.357/9mm; Sig P238 - .380; Glock 19 Gen 4 - 9mm; Glock 30SF - .45; S&W Model 19 - .357 Magnum
Old April 30, 2011, 01:59 PM   #2
reconcoupe

I don't know the legal ramifications to companies when it comes to 'misprints', though, in this instant it was thousands of electrons being terribly inconvenienced.

I've ran into situations both online and in stores. Some honor it, some simply won't, but I'm the same as you, I won't support stores or businesses that can't remove their head from their third point.

I've bought a few cases of .45 from them a few months back, no problem but I suppose I'll be looking for a new ammo supplier.

I've had friends recommend usaammo.com, not a huge caliber selection but it has the basics, 5.56, 7.62, .45, 9, ect.
Old April 30, 2011, 02:00 PM   #3
mrgoodwrench76

Similar experience, loss of customer

About a year ago, I had a similar experience with CTD. I dont remember the specifics but much as you stated, they advertised 9mm ammo for x price so I ordered it and found out the next day that it was backordered. After contacting them, I found out they had advertised the wrong price and would not honor that advertised price.

This does seem like bad business to me. If a company makes a mistake, they are liable for that mistake and should own up to it. They should be a little more sure of what they are advertising. I have purchased various things from CTD in the past but will no longer give them any of my money due to what I would consider 'bad business'.
Old April 30, 2011, 02:21 PM   #4
Glockfan35

Problems? What problems?

I've personally never had even one issue with cheaperthandirt.com and I order from them much more than anybody else. I do wish they'd institute three things: 1. A "real-time" inventory system that updates itself each time an order for a specific item is completed- this would save their customers a lot of issues as the on the OP mentioned.
2. Layaway- especially on their firearms so maybe they could sell more
of these!
3. Price matching- where they agree to honor any competitor's
advertised price.
Old April 30, 2011, 02:23 PM   #5
HotShot.444

Treated you like YOU are Cheaper Than Dirt, eh?

So far, so good for me, w/CTD. But when they get ear of there being 5,000-10,000 other shoppers now keen to their shoddy ("rhymes with" ... almost) business practice, perhaps they will change ad-copy writers, and practices, also. I'm letting them know. Good luck. Dao.
Old April 30, 2011, 02:23 PM   #6
Microgunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgoodwrench76
If a company makes a mistake, they are liable for that mistake and should own up to it.
Typographical errors do not render a company or individual "liable". The printer could even be responsible for this typo.
Let the government make a mistake and mail you a double income tax refund and see if they don't want it back.
Mistakes happen, it's human.
The amount of money involved nationwide for this error might have been crippling to CTD.
Old April 30, 2011, 02:31 PM   #7
9mm

Never had a problem with CTD, been buying stuff for over 7 years. I have just placed two orders on holsters from opticplanet and ebay, items were said to be in stock. Turns out they arn't!
Old April 30, 2011, 03:39 PM   #8
drb1611

I wouldn't disagree with an assumption that it was probably the web developer's mistake; and that many, if not most, web developers/maintainers are not knowledgeable of the products...BUT, I do expect that a company will honor the price of a completed sale.

The purpose of my discussion in this thread was to make others aware that most likely, CheaperThanDirt will repeat this behavior in the future; and in my mind, makes it a place not to do business with.

I'm aware that many companies do not maintain a live inventory, and my call to CTD CS was originally to find out why the online status showed "on backorder" and learn when they expected to have the ammo in stock. The surprise and disappointment came when the representative explained what was really taking place.

reconcoupe - thanx for heads up on usaammo.com.

Sig P250C - 9mm/.40/.357/.45; Sig P250FS - 9mm; Sig P250SC - 9mm/.40; Sig P229R DAK - .40/.357/9mm; Sig SP2022 - .40/.357/9mm; Sig P238 - .380; Glock 19 Gen 4 - 9mm; Glock 30SF - .45; S&W Model 19 - .357 Magnum
Old April 30, 2011, 03:41 PM   #9
mrgoodwrench76

Quote:
Typographical errors do not render a company or individual "liable".
I meant that in more of a moral sense. And as often as I've seen it happen, I doubt its an editing mistake. Either way, somebody needs to pay attention.

Have any of you used stuff from usaammo.com? How is the quality?
Old April 30, 2011, 03:42 PM   #10
Mal H
Staff

Notice

I am going to move this to the proper forum for such feedback, the "Retail Deals and Feedback" forum.

From here on, the rules for that forum will apply to this thread: http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=336632

Note that unless you have first hand dealings with CTD, you should not post in the thread.
Old April 30, 2011, 04:45 PM   #11
pbratton

I once ordered a barber's chair from Costco via the internet. It was a $575 chair delivered, however, someone misplaced a decimal when posting the price. I placed an order for one at $57.50, then went back an ordered another 5 at the same price...

Well, I got the first one shipped, the others were cancelled.

Some folks admit to their errors and move on, others hide.
Old April 30, 2011, 04:49 PM   #12
Mal H
Staff

pbratton - a question - was that notice right above your post either not bold enough or not large enough? I can't make it much bolder, but I can make it larger if need be.
Old April 30, 2011, 05:59 PM   #13
mes227

I've had good luck with CTD but I agree with the OP, this is was a bad business decision and I'll keep it in mind the next time I'm doing on-line shopping. I owned my owned business for almost 25 years and not once did I refuse to honor a quoted price.
Old April 30, 2011, 06:00 PM   #14
hunter52

I have done lots of business with CTD over the years,not one problem.
As one of the above posters said honoring the misprinted price could have been financially devastating to CTD,so you got to remember ...if it looks to good to be true..it probably isn't.
FWIW most websites have fine print that reads something like..not responsible for typographical errors...who ever reads the fine print...
Old April 30, 2011, 06:00 PM   #15
Mello2u

I would not expect a retailer to be morally bound to honor a mistake in price that was likely made by a printer or a web tech. Additionally, they corrected the mistake quickly; in less than 24 hours. Moreover, you suffered no harm.

Someone likely left off a number.

50 Rounds per Box $9.39 is incredibly low priced. The lowest price I could find today was .45 ACP 230gr Full Metal Jacket 50pk for $17.50 at Georgia Arms.
" Frederic Bastiat
Old April 30, 2011, 07:08 PM   #16
geetarman

I have had issues with CTD when buying some magazines for my M1A.

They were advertised as Winchester. They weren't and they didn't fit.

I modified them myself and have ordered ammo from them with no problem.

The battle pack .308 ammo from DAG and some Lithuanian surplus was just fine.

Geetarman
Old April 30, 2011, 10:36 PM   #17
drb1611

I'll attempt to end this discussion - just wanted to give fellow members a heads up. Also - guess I should have included the punch line - they did charge my credit card. In my experience, reputable companies don't charge your credit card until they ship.

Old May 1, 2011, 06:46 AM   #18
Vt.birdhunter

Sounds like an unfortunate mistake on CTDs part, but they are a VERY VERY reputable online dealer.

Ive spent thousands with them. A year or two ago they had a similar incident; .308's, brass cased for 20 cents a round. I ordered, completed order, was told by email of a misprint a day later. No 20 cent .308s

It happens. Im not perfect and I dont expect them to be either. CTD will always be one of my go-to sights for firearms gear.
Old May 1, 2011, 11:07 AM   #19
Tactical Jackalope

I have never had an issue with CTD yet, been a strong customer for them for years and years..Just bought myself a pistol rack 2 nights ago. Should be coming in soon. They send a tracking number, unlike most others that just send it out and have you pray for it to get there..

However it's unfortunate what happened to you. But it does happen...I would be upset but not furious with them as to end any future business with them.

UNLESS...

They charged it to your card already. Then all bets are off.
Old May 1, 2011, 11:56 AM   #20
glock20c

all good reviews here for CTD...
Old May 1, 2011, 03:30 PM   #21
MLeake

Constantine, he said they did charge his card. I'd assume they refunded the charge, but that still puts a slightly worse spin on things.

Meanwhile, I've ordered from CTD before, and got what I paid for. I'd be pretty miffed, if they charged my card, then cancelled my order.

But I haven't bought from CTD since ammo became generally available again. They had stuff when many others didn't, but their prices aren't so competitive when supplies are more normal.
Old May 1, 2011, 05:46 PM   #22
arcticap

Their website's terms of use states:

Quote:
(vi) CTD does not pre-screen or approve Content but CTD shall have the right (but not the obligation) in its sole discretion to refuse, delete or move any Content for any reason....

...8.Product Descriptions
CTD attempts to be as accurate as possible. However, CTD does not warrant that product descriptions or other content of this site is accurate, complete, reliable, current or error-free. If a product offered by CTD is not as described, your sole remedy is to return it in unused condition.

9.Pricing
With respect to items sold by CTD, we cannot confirm the price of an item until you order, however, we do not charge your credit card until after your order has entered the shipping process. Despite our best efforts, a small number of our items may be mispriced. If an item's correct price is higher than our stated price, we will, at our discretion, either contact you for instructions before shipping or cancel your order and notify you of such cancellation....

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/TermsOfUse.aspx
The fact that the card was charged by an automated system doesn't change the terms of use. Their disclaimer is clear for the online consumer to understand, and as far as anyone knows a refund will be issued.
They have a right to refuse an order resulting from a mistake and everyone else has a right to not do business with them.

When I received damaged goods from them, they issued me a pro-rated credit. Unexpected things can happen.

Last edited by arcticap; May 1, 2011 at 05:57 PM.
Old May 1, 2011, 09:37 PM   #23
Shane Tuttle
Staff

This one's closed. I've had enough of taking care of members that either do not or will not read.

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Closed Thread