The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old February 23, 2007, 07:03 PM   #1
Lurper

How do you do a "double tap"?

I get asked this question millions of times. Here is my take on the "double tap":

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k2...edoubletap.flv
Old February 23, 2007, 07:15 PM   #2
fixboot

Sorry chief but I dont see anything. Nice collection on photobucket though.
Nothing is more satisfying than a brick of .22, a few empty soda cans and all day to shoot at them..........nothing other than......Hmm...maybe my AK-47 and a bag of apples? DAMMIT who has 7.62x39 on sale right now?
Old February 23, 2007, 09:28 PM   #3
oldbillthundercheif

Very nice.

I sure as hell can't argue with your results, but are you really getting a good visual on your front sight for the second shot? Your eyeballs must work faster than mine.
Old February 23, 2007, 11:31 PM   #4
Pointer

I like everything about his "double tap" except is POI.

I would much prefer mine to be about 8" higher...

and followed up with a third to the eye box...

If the perp is still armed and standing... repeat the above scenario...

30-06 FOREVER
Old February 24, 2007, 03:19 PM   #5
rex

Interesting, thanks for the video Lurper.
Old February 24, 2007, 04:40 PM   #6
The Canuck

oldbillthundercheif, I think he is tracking the sight back to the sight picture from the first shot and then firing the second shot. I don't think he is relying on re-aiming, I think he is relying on his technique to put the gun back into the original postion, which makes sense to me, that's how we were taught to do DTs in the Army in CQB. Its how I do my DTs with pistol too. I just never put it into words. Mind you I was never a natural (work, work, work...)
Old February 25, 2007, 01:37 AM   #7
oldbillthundercheif

That video has improved my fast-and-furry shooting a little, I think. I was noticably faster on my second shot at the range today without much loss of accuracy. Thanks Lurper!

10 yards (fast doubles and Mozambiques)
Old February 25, 2007, 03:25 PM   #8
atblis

Huh

Pull the trigger twice!
Old February 25, 2007, 03:32 PM   #9
matthew temkin

Pull the trigger as fast a F*&^%g possible while focused on the spot you want to hit.
That is how Col. Applegate explained it to me.
Simple and very effective.
Accurate too.
Old February 25, 2007, 06:27 PM   #10
oldbillthundercheif

Matthew- are you the fellow who did the Applegate-style point-shooting segment on that "Shooting Gallery" TV show a year or two ago?

Your name sounds familiar for some reason.
Old February 25, 2007, 07:01 PM   #11
Lurper

Quote:
Pull the trigger twice!

Quote:
Pull the trigger as fast a F*&^%g possible while focused on the spot you want to hit.
I think the difference is that this technique can be used to 50 yards and beyond if necessary.
Old February 25, 2007, 10:52 PM   #12
matthew temkin

No..I am not the guy from the shooting show segment, but I have written a lot about Applegate on the internet.
Lurper...50 yard speed shooting is well beyond the scope of practical armed self defense and falls more into the trick shooting/competition circuit bag of tricks.
At that distance--if you should be shooting at all--one should be behind cover and place his shots very carefully.
I think that when most of us think of double taps we are talking about 0-15 feet or so.
And at these common gun fight distances sights are not as important as some believe.
Old February 25, 2007, 11:51 PM   #13
mxwelch

Very well done Lurper.
Old February 26, 2007, 09:00 AM   #14
Samurai

I guess I'm biasing my shooting stance, then, because my front sights do NOT return to their original position after the gun recoils.

Any suggestions?

- Why is it that we fire 1,000 rounds and know that we need more practice, but yet we punch a bag 10 times and think we know how to fight?

- When in doubt, train, train, train...
Old February 26, 2007, 10:21 AM   #15
Lurper

Samurai, I would need more information on your grip and stance. What does the gun do when it recoils?
Old February 26, 2007, 11:29 AM   #16
Samurai

Usually, when the gun recoils, it flips up and then stays there. If I try to do a double-tap, when the gun flips up, I try to bring it back down, and my second shot usually goes WAY low.

Does that help?

p.s. - Left-foot forward stance, right-hand dominant.

- Why is it that we fire 1,000 rounds and know that we need more practice, but yet we punch a bag 10 times and think we know how to fight?

Old February 26, 2007, 11:53 AM   #17
Lurper

Still not enough info Sam, but let me do this. I am not trying to start a controversy with anyone, just inform you of what I think is the best, most effective method for shooting.
I can't give you the entire lesson, because it would be too long but here are the salient points:
Stand more or less facing the target (we'll adjust that in a moment), feet shoulder width apart. You should stand in a manner that you would be comfortable standing in all day. Typically, your weak side foot will be a little in front of your strong side foot. Stand erect, there should be a straight line that runs down your shoulder blades, butt and heels. Don't lean forward or backward. Your arms should be extended, but not hyper-extended. Bring the gun up to eye level, not vice versa. Keep your shoulders down and RELAX. The last word in that sentence is the key! Don't lock your elbows but keep your wrists firm. This will allow your elbows to act as shock absorbers and helps convert some of the upward movement into backward movement. Your grip should be loose and relaxed. The gun should be centered in the web between the thumb and forefinger of your strong hand.

Don't try to squeeze the gun like a lemon, just relax. Your thumb should be as high as possible because it will help drive the gun.

Your weak hand goes in the gap left by your strong hand. The actual grip is created by a pinching action between the strong and weak hands.

Note the position of the weak hand thumb. It is necessary to rotate the weak hand wrist forward. You do that to keep your stance neutral. Because the gun will be centered in front of your strong hand eye, your arms will not be bent the same and your stance will not be neutral unless you do. Neither thumb should exert any pressure on the gun. They should just rest where they are. The key is neutrality.
One last tip:
Find your natural point of aim. To do that, get in your stance, line your gun up on the target. Close your eyes and twist left and right from the hip (don't move your feet). Stop when it feels comfortable. Check and see where the gun is laterally relative to the target, then adjust your stance (by moving your feet) until the gun is on target. Repeat until the gun stops on target. That is your natural point of aim, eventually you will know it without the exercise.

It sounds to me like you are locking your elbows and shoulders and not keeping your wrists firm which allows the gun to rise, but not return.
Old February 26, 2007, 02:16 PM   #18
Samurai

Hmmm.... mmmkay. I'll try to pay attention to these things. Give me a week or so to get to the range, and I'll drop you a line and let you know how it goes.