The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 6, 2004, 12:04 AM   #1
Danindetroit

Win Model 1887 12ga

I just got a copy of G&A today and it has a calender with classic guns. They have a pic of the win 1887. I thought that it was plauged with feed problems and ejection problems. I always thought it was a nice idea. Was it the paper shells that caused these problems and the new plastic would do better, or is it an inherent design flaw? TIA for any feedback.
Old November 6, 2004, 08:30 AM   #2
AJ Peacock

Dan,

I know that the guys that shoot the '87 in cowboy action competitions can be REALLY fast, but they all change some of the internals. I consider one of the shooters here in Michigan to be the fastest in the world with an '87.

He works on them for others as well. If you have any particular questions drop me a PM and I'll forward you his email id.

I know that stock guns can have all kinds of funny habits ;-)

AJ
Old November 6, 2004, 05:38 PM   #3
Danindetroit

I always thought they were a good idea. If they made a new one, I might buy one, I do not want to pay for an antique and wonder about the pressures, and is the barrel damascus steel, I don't know if that only applies to old doubles. I am a bigger fan of sxs shotguns, and like the looks of the stoeger supreme coach gun. If anybody shoots that for cowboy action shooting, and you heard good or bad If you got time just post on it. The shotgun forums here don't seem so cluttered with ultra sensitive opinions on what is best and my taste in guns is better than your. Life is a compromise, some people think one way is right, there is a little gray. I have never been in any internet forums and am used to talking face to face with people and they are usually very nice even if I disagree with then. Most people ask if I played football also. When I tell them I never intend on getting a ccw, people say nobody is going to try and rob you. I don't think I am that intimadating. I really must say It seems like people at the rifle, pistol, trap ranges or so much more polite than the shooters on this board. They are so proud of their weapons they practical beg you to shoot there's. This is just hard to get used to. Thanks for being very helpful