The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Closed Thread

Old February 8, 2013, 12:09 AM   #1
KABA1791

Trying to decide on my first carry revolver

Ok. I've read some of the other threads concerning choosing a revolver. I've Googled & YouTubed till I'm blue in the face. I'm just trying to make as much of an informed decision as possible. I'm supposed to receive my carry permit in a couple of weeks, so obviously, I'm new to carrying. Seems like the S&W j-frames and LCRs are the ones I hear/read about the most, but don't have any first-hand experience with either. Reading differing views about .357 vs. .38 +P as it relates to "knock down" power. Also, I'm short, stubby, and have small hands, so the size of the revolver is an issue as well.

Any help would be much appreciated!
Old February 8, 2013, 12:20 AM   #2
jason_iowa

Knock down power is a made up term not supported by physics.

38+p is about the minimum I would suggest anyone carry and is a fine option. Not that you mentioned it but I would stay away from laser sights I think should the worst ever happen they look bad to the jury.

I don't care for the LCR I appreciate a bit more heft but they seem like a quality gun and many people like them.

Smith J frame o the two would be my choice. I would go with the 357 over the 38+p simply because you can use both rounds in the same gun. I like a heavier bullet and a heavier gun though.

I would find a place or people who has them and will let you shoot them and see which you like best. Between the two choices you outlined I honestly don't think you can make a bad decision.
Old February 8, 2013, 12:29 AM   #3
Fleabag

640 or 642 snubbie. I would get the lightest S&W snub .38 in the stable. It's ment to be carried a lot and shot a little. 5 .38+P rounds will dampen anyones day in a hurry.
Old February 8, 2013, 01:26 AM   #4
harathor

I would look at the smith and wesson model 36 if you want a snub nose as it is a bit heavier so easy to shoot but still easy to carry, or a K frame with a 3 in barrel. But that is just me.
Old February 8, 2013, 07:18 AM   #5
Mike Irwin
Staff

Please post your question in only one forum, not all three.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Closed Thread

Tags
first ccw , revolver