The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Lock and Load: Live Fire Exercises

Closed Thread

Old April 6, 2000, 06:01 AM   #26
Slowpoke_Rodrigo

Gunslinger -

Hotel chains offering the NRA affinity discount are Days Inn, Ramada, Wingate Inn, Howard Johnson and Travelodge. To get the discount you must make the reservations using the telephone numbers on the back of your membership card, and supply the reservationist with the NRA Benefit ID, also on the back of the card.

Please send me an e-mail if you have any questions.

------------------
Slowpoke Rodrigo...he pack a gon...

Vote for the Neal Knox 13

[This message has been edited by Slowpoke_Rodrigo (edited April 06, 2000).]
Old April 6, 2000, 08:28 AM   #27
Gunslinger

I'm checking on the distances of the ranges at the conservation department. I'll post that and if we are going to be allowed to use autos as soon s possible.

Thanks Slowpoke, that is what I was needing.
Terridarri and I have been on the phone the last couple of days comparing prices with the various motels looking for the best group rates. Slowpokes info will help in that. As soon as I've established the best prices I'll post them here.

For everyones convenience I'll post mine and Terridarris e-mail address here as links. Anyone needing any info please feel free to e-mail either one of us.

Gunslinger can be e-mailed at: [email protected]

Terridarri: [email protected]

------------------
Gunslinger

We live in a time in which attitudes and deeds once respected as courageous and honorable are now scorned as being antiquated and subversive.
Old April 6, 2000, 06:32 PM   #28
fubsy

I might be able to make that.....Ill keep track of the thread. save me a motel room Im too old for that ground..lol....besides isnt it hot in august? Whats an out of town fishing license cost?....fubsy.
Old April 6, 2000, 09:52 PM   #29
bergie

I might be able to make it, that is the last weekend of the World Freefall Convention (4th-13th). If I can schedule things right, maybe I can leave Freefall early and make a detour.

Q: Why would anybody jump out of a perfectly good airplane?
A: because the door was open!

Gravity Rules
bergie

[This message has been edited by bergie (edited April 06, 2000).]
Old April 6, 2000, 10:06 PM   #30
Joseph

Bergie,

Sounds good to me!
Old April 6, 2000, 11:59 PM   #31
tatters

Did Missouri vote down the ccw bill a while back?
Does Missouri have restrictive gun laws?
Otherwise I am only 12 hrs away and would love to be there!

------------------
Knock twice. Rap with your cane. Feels nice. You're out of the rain. We got your skinny girls. Here at the Western World
from Steely Dan's "Western World"
Old April 7, 2000, 12:25 AM   #32
Gunslinger

Tatters, the right to CCW was lost April 6 last year. However it was not defeated at the polls. It lost through ballot fraud by the sorry $#&^%#* in the state capital. In spite of that it is a gun friendly state and a very gun friendly area. Other than no CCW (A petition is being circulated to abolish the statute creating a Vermont type carry.) the laws in MO are not restrictive.

------------------
Gunslinger

We live in a time in which attitudes and deeds once respected as courageous and honorable are now scorned as being antiquated and subversive.
Old April 7, 2000, 02:45 PM   #33
Coinneach
Staff Alumnus

Add one to my berth, and can we stake out a patch of The Lawn?
Old April 7, 2000, 06:12 PM   #34
scottMO

Count me in too. Reserve me a lawn space. I look forward to meeting everybody.

scottMO
Old April 7, 2000, 07:44 PM   #35
Spectre
Staff Alumnus

Open carry legal?

Wonder if any Georgians want to carpool?

[This message has been edited by Spectre (edited April 07, 2000).]
Old April 7, 2000, 08:52 PM   #36
Gunslinger

Coin and Scott, I'll stake out a shade tree for ya'll to pitch your tents under.

Spectre, yes, Missouri does have open carry.

------------------
Gunslinger

Old April 7, 2000, 09:26 PM   #37
terridarri

Gunslinger and I have done some calling different motels to get prices and this is what we have came up with, and these prices are including the NRA discounts and group rate.

(1) Days Inn----they have 69 rooms and the rates are $60 per night and this is like in the middle of Springfield, which is a ways from us.

(2) Motel 6------they have 102 rooms available and the rates there are $33.99 & $39.99 per night and this would be a close distance to us.

(3) American Inn-----they have 171 rooms available and the rates there are $99.00 per night and this is relatively close.

(4) Ramada Inn----they have only 30 rooms available that night and the rates are $75 per night and this is close to us.

(5) Interstate Inn-----they have 141 rooms available that night and the rates are $38.96 and $44.95 per night plus 10% discount for group and this is the closest one to us, just a hop, skip and jump.

(6) Howard Johnsons----they have 50 rooms available and the rates are $75 per night and this is close.

(7) Travel Lodge-----they have 55 rooms available and the rates are $59.95, $52.95, and $49.95 per night and this is quite a distance.

(8) Quality Inn-----they have 197 rooms available and the rates are $75 per night and this close.

We would like to keep the motels advised as much as possible, but I think for the money and we can have the whole motel if we get enough to come is the Interstate Inn because it is close and the rates are good, but its up to what everyone else wants but if someone thinks they will be here and be staying in the motel let us know so we can inform the motel, Gunslinger and I would appreciate this very much, and the ones that want the phone numbers to the motels to make reservations let us know ahead of time and we will contact the motel to let them know you will be calling so you can get the discount because we have spoke immensley to each and everyone to get the best rates and let them know what was happening that weekend.
Thanks,
Terri

------------------
WHEN IT COMES TO FRIENDS THE SKY IS NOT THE LIMIT

SEE POST BELOW FOR MOTEL PRICING UPDATE

[This message has been edited by terridarri (edited April 09, 2000).]
Old April 7, 2000, 09:34 PM   #38
Don Gwinn
Staff Emeritus

Ken, cross-country trips together? You kids are really moving along, aren't you?

Missy was not overly enthusiastic. I might be making this trip alone.

Me: "Hey, honey, just so you know, there's going to be a big get together/party kind of thing with all the TFL members in Missouri. Springfield, actually."
SWMBO: "Welll........ I guess. If nothing else comes up."
Me: "Well, I figured we'd plan to go, thus if something did come up, we'd politely say 'no thanks, we'll be in Springfield, MO that weekend.'"
SWMBO: "Yeah, but something really important could come up."
Me: "Like what?"
SWMBO: "Well, you know, like ...... death or something......."
Old April 7, 2000, 09:41 PM   #39
Don Gwinn
Staff Emeritus

I was excited about being able to open carry for a moment, but the more I think about it, I've never carried before and have no training. Besides, can't be many places in Missouri safer than Gunslinger's lawn or a range with a bunch of TFLers having a fun day.
Frankly (and it kills me to admit this) my initial excitement a moment ago was mostly over the novelty of being able to carry. I'd be doing one of the most dangerous kinds of carrying for no good reason except the novelty of trying it, which isn't good. This was not something good to learn about myself. Now I'm a little sad. To think that I thought that way. I don't know why I'm posting this except that I can't tell this kind of stuff to my friends here because it has the word gun in it.

What's the law on transporting guns in the car? I certainly will keep a loaded gun handy if there's a legal way to do that in the car.
Old April 8, 2000, 02:15 PM   #40
Spectre
Staff Alumnus

Don, sorry you feel that way. Please email me, and we can discuss this.

Regards,
John
Old April 8, 2000, 05:57 PM   #41
scottMO

Are we planning anything Friday night or primarily Sat/Sun?

I will take the phone # for the interstate inn (#5 on the list). I will prob need a room just Sat night unless we get the party going Fri too.

scottMO

------------------

Old April 9, 2000, 09:16 AM   #42
Patrick Graham

Can I bring my Garand?
Old April 9, 2000, 10:36 AM   #43
Gunslinger

Missouri Carry: While we don't have concealed carry (yet), open carry is permitted. Transporting loaded firearms in the passenger compartment and accessible to the driver/passengers is legal as long as it is not concealed. My suggestion would be if stopped lay the gun on the dash (as far away from from driver and passenger as possible) place your hands on the wheel and inform the officer that you have a loaded gun on the dash. Missouri law enforcment is actualy used to this and will not be alarmed. The standard response is for them to ask to look at the gun, unload and return it with the request that you not reload it until they are safely back in their car.

Friday Night: Anyone wishing to come in early is welcome. Terridarri and I will be available at any point in the week prior to the meet. We can get together earlier in the week for b/s session, maybe eat a burger or whatever. Warning: Anyone arriving early will risk being snagged by either Terridarri or myself into helping with the preparations of setting up tables, preparing the bar-b-que or the myrad of other task that are going to be done prior to the meet.

Range: We went to the new conservation department range, which is approximately five miles from my house, yesterday and checked it out. It was nice to see tax dollars being spent this way. This place is beautiful! Twenty covered shooting bays. Beautiful grounds, plenty of parking and seating with two trap/skeet ranges. Because of the baffeling system the use full auto is not allowed and the maximaum range is only 100 yards. However I often shoot here (on my property) and am going to ask my neighbor, who is a shooter, if we can set up a target on his place and shoot some from mine. I'm sure he will be amialbe to this and it will give us 500 to 600 yards. Those wanting to may also shoot their full autos here.
Weapons: Any and all weapons are allowed on the range. We just can't fire thme full auto while there.
Patrick, yes this means you may bring your Garand. I don't think anyone will be disappointed in these facilities.

------------------
Gunslinger

Old April 9, 2000, 12:34 PM   #44
terridarri

I have done some checking on the motels and I found out that the Interstate Inn is probably be the best bet for everyone, I spoke again this morning to them and they are giving us unbelievable rates, better than normal, this motel has alot of advantages since it is the cheapest in town and it the closest to our house. So I'm going to post the new rates again and the phone number. I did tell them people would be calling in to make reservations and they would identify themselves by being with the TFL or The Firing Line group, so please mention this when calling.

1st floor-----$33.00 for 1, $6 per person if more than one person.

2nd floor-----$30.00 for 1, $6 per person if more than one person.

3rd floor-----$24.00 for 1, $6 per person if more than one person.

Then after the 10th reservation, everyone gets a 10% discount on the prices above.

Phone nos. (417) 833-1550
SORRY THE MOTEL HAS NO TOLL FREE NO.

They have 141 rooms available so if anyone is going to make reservations please try to make them early because there is a chance the whole motel will be nothing but TFL'ers, I did mention to the motel mgr. this was a possibility that we would need the whole motel.

------------------
Old April 9, 2000, 02:24 PM   #45
fubsy

Ya'll have been very busy and put out some good information, tks very much, Im still waiting for a response from work. I will be their I believe.........btw, how big is the hotels gun safe?.....fubsy.
Old April 9, 2000, 03:14 PM   #46
Gunslinger

Motel gun safe.....hmm......interesting concept. Actualy SVT and I discussed weapon security, via e-mail, a few days ago. (He brought it to my attention, thank you SVT.) I am going to establish a "secure room" here that only Terridarri and I have a key to for anyone needing to secure additional weapons when not in use. We request anyone bringing weapons that will need to be secured to bring cases if they have them (to avoid scratches when stored with several others) and to please tag them for quick identification.

Yes we have been busy with planning. What has been mentioned here is actualy only the tip of what is being put into this meet. We are inquiring about tables/folding chairs, discount pricing on food, beer, soft drinks etc. for the meet, port-a-potties, preparing the out building (40'X80') in the event of imclimate weather and the list goes on. (It's a lot of work but a labor of love ) We're hoping for a couple hundred TFL'ers or more, which was the reasoning for starting the thread early. We hope to have everything perpared so that all the TFL'ers have to do is show up and have fun without having to worry about the details. fal308, who lives three hours from here, volunteered a few days ago, again via e-mail, to come down soon and help with arrangments and agian a day or two in advance and help with the final preparations. Thanks fal.

------------------
Gunslinger

Old April 9, 2000, 05:41 PM   #47
terridarri

Fubsy,
Thanks for recognizing our efforts, it makes us want to work harder at this, we plan on making this very exciting for everyone and making it a very memorable trip for all TFL members and who else that will be with them, it will consist of alot of work, but once it is done and all over with it will have been worth it all, just thanks again.

------------------

[This message has been edited by terridarri (edited April 09, 2000).]
Old April 9, 2000, 06:28 PM   #48
Svt

If anybody from Pennsylvania would like to go but does not want to drive to Mizz, email me and you can possibly ride with me in my Jeep Grand Cherokee. I live in central PA. I'm driving instead of flying so I can haul all my toys and ammo

------------------
Svt
1911 Addiction
"Rangers Lead the Way!"
Old April 9, 2000, 10:31 PM   #49
scottMO

Anyone bringing a .50 cal? Please?!?!

Gunslinger and Terriderri,
I want to thank you both for the work that you've already done and the work that is ahead of you.

I might suggest occationally posting in the General Discussion Forum. I, for one, dont always read all of the forums and stumbled upon this. We might miss some of those who would like to attend.

scottMO

[This message has been edited by scottMO (edited April 09, 2000).]
Old April 9, 2000, 10:59 PM   #50
Joseph

Gunslinger:

You are going to run into some expenses doing all this! Can we pitch in??

All Carolinians: I'm driving up from Charlotte, to arrive on Friday for early doin's. Anyone want to jump aboard?? Email me!
Closed Thread