The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Lock and Load: Live Fire Exercises

Old March 27, 2000, 07:43 PM   #1
JBP

Last week I saw one of those deals I find hard to pass up, a NEF Handi Rifle .223 Heavy Barrel, with a Simmons 12x40 AO scope, and hard case for $249.99.

From posts I've read at other boards it looked like this was one of the love it or hate it deals. But I took a chance and had it out for the first time yesterday.

It handled the 5 different types of ammo I fed it: Federal Premium 50 gr Speer TNT HP, Remington Premier Varmint 50 gr V-Max Boat-tail, Remington Express 55 gr Pointed SP, PMC 55 gr FMJ-BT (with soft primers that my T/C Contender won't always fire), and even the Russian TCW 56 gr FMJ steel case that froze my T/C Contender. Best results were with the 50 gr (& most expensive) with 1" groups. The 55 gr spread out to about 1.5-2". The Russian ammo was all over the target. Someone a couple of spots down from me had his out for the first time also and was very pleased with his results.

I've seen other posts that complain about the trigger pull being heavy. Compared to the factory setting of my Contender the NEF seemed light. For the price you can't beat it if it holds up but for $10 NEF offers a lifetime warranty. The results I got at 100 yards were almost as good as my new Ruger KM77VTMKII in 22-250 that I paid almost 3 times as much for the same set-up but with a better scope.
Old March 27, 2000, 09:52 PM   #2
Magnum Man

If you send your Handi-Rifle back to the
manufacturer. They will adjust the trigger
pull. The lowest they will goes is 3lb. The only cost is shipping to the factory. H&R 1871 takes care of the return shipping. Just got my handi-rifle back the trigger is sweet. Only took a week to get done.
Old March 28, 2000, 03:33 PM   #3
AF Shooter

My shooting partner has an NEF Handi Rifle in .223 Rem and one in .22LR. More fun than frogs in the blender!!!

------------------
Tom Whitman
SSgt, USAF
Old March 29, 2000, 07:56 PM   #4
Gopher

If you decide to get other barrels for it all you have to do is sent the reciever and forearm back in and they match the new barrel. I bought one in 30-06 and had a .223 and a 12gauge slug barrel done for mine. Sweet rig. I passed on a deal for a NIB .22 at a gun show 6 months ago for $115. Been kicking myself since