The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Lock and Load: Live Fire Exercises

Old February 27, 2000, 02:31 AM   #1
Rogue Spear

I was wondering if anybody has taken any classes from Louis Awerbuck at the Yavapai Firearms Academy?
Old February 27, 2000, 01:32 PM   #2
jfrancis

I took his Shotgun class last year. It was excellent. You might also look into taking some of Randy Cain's classes. He has trained extensively with Louis and (IMO) is just as good.

John Francis
Old February 28, 2000, 03:33 AM   #3
George Hill
Staff Alumnus

I think he may be at GunSite now...
I'm not sure.
Old February 28, 2000, 09:31 AM   #4
Rich Lucibella
Staff

Rogue-
I just finished a week rifle class with Louis. In the words of a friend, "He's Yoda!" That about sums it up. Don't miss an opportunity to train with him.
Rich Lucibella
Old March 1, 2000, 03:25 PM   #5
Randy Cain

And I second the motion on the "Yoda" thing!

While I am flattered to be mentioned, I am not as good as Louis! Most of what I know or do on the range I learned from him. Having almost 50 classes with him over the past 14 years, I can unequivocally say that he is the master by which all other instructors are judged!

Don't miss the opportunity to train with Louis Awerbuck.

------------------

Old March 1, 2000, 03:33 PM   #6
DorGunR

Randy Cain:
Welcome to TFL...even if you are not from Tishimingo County.
Jim

------------------
"Lead, follow or get the HELL out of the way."
Old March 2, 2000, 11:56 AM   #7
Gabe Suarez

I've never trained with Mr. Awerbuck, but I will be teaching with him at Gunsite in June. I've only heard good about him from those who know him. All I can say is his rep precedes him, and I'll be listening to everything he says while we're there.

Same goes for Randy Cain. All I hear about him is good.

The bottom line: Everyone has different perspectives on things. No one has been handed down the One True Combat Way from the god of Tactics in the Temple of Doom. Quite to the contrary, each of us has one little piece of the puzzle, and it behooves all of us to not only work together, but to train together as well.

Gabe Suarez
HALO Group http://www.thehalogroup.com http://www.gabesuarez.com
Old March 3, 2000, 10:23 PM   #8
AUG

This is a pretty elite thread going here.

I am taking Lew's shotgun class this spring. Several people I know have taken his classes and speak very highly of him.
Old March 4, 2000, 09:22 PM   #9
RobCon

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Rogue Spear:
I was wondering if anybody has taken any classes from Louis Awerbuck at the Yavapai Firearms Academy? [/quote]
Louis is outstanding. He is very analytical and thorough. No titanic ego to get in the way. I've done pistol, rifle, carbine, shotgun and a week of his high intensity one on one training. He has extensive combat and police experience. Jeff Cooper refers to him
as "Shooting Master."
Old March 6, 2000, 03:23 AM   #10
George Hill
Staff Alumnus

I dont think I had a chance to earlier - but to Gabe Suarez, I extend a welcome.
I have read some of your work, most impressive. Its an honor to have you at TFL.
To those who dont know who Mr Suarez is - check out his web pages... You may recognize him from photos in several gun rags. He is very good... One of the best trainers around.

Old March 8, 2000, 01:54 AM   #11
A4MERSAS

Best around is an understatement when talking about Mr. Suarez. His company Halo Group is an exceptional group of professionals worth paying a visit to for anyone who serious about fighting, be it empty hand, blade or firearm. I'm looking forward to the possibility of attending Halo's courses in Europe this year.

Old March 8, 2000, 09:32 PM   #12
gunmart

i have had all the classes that louis awerbuck offers.he is a great instructor that takes his time with each student.he his at his best when he is anylizing a students problem or shortfall.i owe a lot to him.i have also had classes from randy cain.his school is cuberland tactics in nashville tn.ck out his web sight i think its www.guntactics.com.he has studied under all the best louis,jeff,and clint.he is a must to try also.they are both adjuct instuctors at gunsite.louis will be in nashville in aprill if anyone is interested.
Old March 11, 2000, 09:09 PM   #13
gunmart

louis awerbuck can be reached at 520-772-8262
if anyone is interesed in taking his classes.if you would like to came to nashville aprill 25 26 27 and take his advanced shotgun course call me at 6153523091
Old March 14, 2000, 09:20 PM   #14
gunmart

any interest anyone in the aprill class?
Old March 15, 2000, 05:27 PM   #15
Bil Mattern

I concur with all the praise that is being heaped upon Louis in this thread. I took a rifle class last year here in Tennessee. At first I was apprehensive, but after it was all done I couldn't wait to take another course from him. In fact we are hosting a basic shotgun class here in Sevierville this April (sorry folks, it was filled quite quickly).
If you own rifles, shotguns, or pistols (and plan to actually do something besides admire your collection) you would be smart to take a YFA class.

"There are two kinds of people, those who take advice and those who have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves" The Cowboy Book of Wisdom
Old March 16, 2000, 07:12 AM   #16
DAVE MOON

I gotta chime in, though it's like beating a dead horse. Louis is THE best instructor I've trained with. I've taken pistol, shotgun, and subgun training. He really gets you to realize the FIGHTING aspect, rather than just shooting holes in paper. Innovative targets, 3d, movers, tactics. A complete package, worth the money (and he's fairly inexpensive).

Incidentally, Louis has been contracted for the past few years to train the entire Newport Beach Police Dept. in Southern Ca.(Basic Pistol). Last time through, I shot the 3 day class with a pair of S&W J-frames. I learned more than in all previous classes. For all you guys who shoot your tricked out carry guns in schools, you owe it to yourselves to give it a go with a back-up or second gun, if you carry that way.

By the way, Randy, Louis speaks highly of you and you know he doesn't give that kind of praise lightly.