The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Closed Thread

Old October 23, 2008, 03:05 PM   #51
Superhouse 15

Bug out

The superhouse is a firehouse, and I spend my days working Engine 15 and Hazmat 2. We Hazmat and fire folks spend lots of time dreaming up ways that we could be attacked, exposed to chemical spills, irradiated, or blown away in any number of weather related emergencies. I would prefer to wait it out in my house, and so would all those folks in Homestead before Hurricane Andrew. If the house is gone, I have no choice but to go to the shelter. Tornado, same deal. If you have a highway within 3 miles or a railroad track within 5 you are in danger of exposure to a hazmat spill. There may be some targets attractive to terrorists, or vandals, near you that you may not even know about. Got a water plant, a chemistry lab, an abortion clinic, a municipal storage building, or a Wal Mart in range? Been to all of those places this year for Hazmat, as well as a few others. As for my family, I know where I'll be in an emergency, the Superhouse turns into an emergency operations center in a disaster, and I'll be here. Got to provide for the family.
Old October 23, 2008, 04:53 PM   #52
ronin308

Quote:
so, i was at Sportsman warehouse last ntie checking out some of their huntig backpacks and noticed some of the had spots to carry your rifle and bow and arrows, supposing the bugging out were talking about is fall of government, end of days type stuff, how many of you would opt to carry abow and arrow to hunt with?
I do a decent amount of bowhunting and I would say no. Not because the bow isn't a good hunting weapon but because it would be hard to justify the weight and bulk of a bow and just 5-8 arrows. In some kind of extended scenario though, the bow could be quite useful in harvesting game.
Old October 23, 2008, 05:46 PM   #53
FireCop203

Playboypenguin.

Where did you get your vehicle lockbox for your gun you have in the photo?
Old October 28, 2008, 06:15 PM   #54
Stone Cold

If I ever have to "bug out," every one of my pistols is going with me. I may need a BOT (bug out trunk).
Old October 28, 2008, 09:55 PM   #55
dberry

bob bag pistol?

Right now it is a Glock 23. I have enough supplies for a few days if it should take that long to get home.
Old October 29, 2008, 08:26 PM   #56
Stone Cold

Where exactly are you going to "bug out" to? Under what scenarios should a person reasonably expect to need to "bug out?" In a natural catastrophe or nuclear holocaust, traffic is going to preclude escape, and if you live where there's no traffic, you're probably already in a good spot and set up to hunker down for a while. With social unrest, a defensive position is always best. I just don't get it, I suppose. If I "bug out," I have to call my dog sitter and pack up the camper. You can betcha I'm heading to God's country, but it's by choice, and I'm not leaving my place open to criminal intrusion. There's no place like home, no matter how big your BOB is.
Old October 29, 2008, 11:17 PM   #57
Moe Howard

Quote:
There's no place like home, no matter how big your BOB is.

Yep with a tornado, flood, hurricane, earthquake,or fire barring down on my house that is exactly where I want to stay

I guess some folks think ahead while other will wish they had.
Old October 30, 2008, 08:57 AM   #58
chrisp0410

Stone Cold wrote:

Quote:
Where exactly are you going to "bug out" to? Under what scenarios should a person reasonably expect to need to "bug out?" In a natural catastrophe or nuclear holocaust, traffic is going to preclude escape, and if you live where there's no traffic, you're probably already in a good spot and set up to hunker down for a while. With social unrest, a defensive position is always best. I just don't get it, I suppose. If I "bug out," I have to call my dog sitter and pack up the camper. You can betcha I'm heading to God's country, but it's by choice, and I'm not leaving my place open to criminal intrusion. There's no place like home, no matter how big your BOB is.
Back some years ago while serving this great country, my occupation required me to keep a small bag with enough supplies to to evade capture and continue my duties for a period of 48-72 hours. It would include travel documents, some currency, a map, a compass, a tiny first aid kit, grooming and hygene supplies, a few freeze-dried beef pattys, water purification tablets, an emergency strobe beacon, a box of 9mm ammunition and a thermite grenade for destroying sensitive information prior to leaving.

Now that I am a civilian with the only occupational threat being the unruly coffeepot down the hall, I do not have the need for such a bag. I do, however, see the need for a bag in case of a natural disaster, i.e. a person in New Orleans is concerned with flooding, a person in the hills of California are concerned with fire, etc. I keep all my important documents like my passport, birth certificate, insurance policies, car titles, mortgage papers, etc., in an acordian file inside my BF gun safe. So, like I said in a previous post, a Bug out bag means different things to different people.

Chrisp0410
Old October 30, 2008, 09:13 AM   #59
Pilot

I keep an Osprey internal frame day/climbing pack loaded with a lot of the same stuff you guys have including a backpacking sized water purifier. My BOB also contains a Ruger MK II and 150 rounds of ammo.
Old October 30, 2008, 10:25 AM   #60
David Armstrong

Quote:
There's no place like home, no matter how big your BOB is.
And the BoB should help you get to that home, if appropriate (you are at work, for example). And if appropriate, it should also help you get away from home. No matter how nice thehouse is, there are times when you may have the need to leave it behind.
Old November 2, 2008, 06:03 AM   #61
Stone Cold

Quote:
And the BoB should help you get to that home, if appropriate (you are at work, for example). And if appropriate, it should also help you get away from home. No matter how nice thehouse is, there are times when you may have the need to leave it behind.
2008-10-30 09:13 AM
If you could see the shelving in my basement containing outdoors gear from a lifetime of adventure mongering, you'd know that I have what I need to get by in more situations than most folks. Fact is, the most essential thing you could have in 99% of emergencies would be a water can full of fresh water and a filter system to make more. We get a tornado warning from time to time and sometimes the lights go out for extended periods. I'm saving my pennies for a backup propane generator.

I don't keep a firearm in my car at work because that would be a felony (although I do keep a cold weather sleeping bag there in the winter). So if the SHTF while I'm away, I've got to get back home unarmed. I will say that I've got a weapons bag packed in my safe with an extra pistol, some mags, a compass, flashlight, leatherman tool, gun cleaning essentials. But this is far from a BOB. It's just stuff I need organized for when I'm going away for a while. Nowhere near what I would need to be sleeping outside or providing for my family. I guarantee that whatever you guys have in those bags would prove to be insufficient because you don't know what you're packing them for. Go sleep under a bridge if you want, I'll be in my basement eating freeze dried lasagna and playing ping pong by coleman lantern.
Old November 3, 2008, 01:18 PM   #62
David Armstrong

Quote:
Go sleep under a bridge if you want, I'll be in my basement eating freeze dried lasagna and playing ping pong by coleman lantern.
I think you might have missed a point, which is that home is a great place to be, but sometimes even the home must be left behind. Flood, fire, natural or unnatural disaster, all can conspire to force one to leave the home, thus the idea that one needs a BoB to help get away from the home.
Quote:
I guarantee that whatever you guys have in those bags would prove to be insufficient because you don't know what you're packing them for.
I know exactly what I'm packing for--3 days of being on my own without any assistance in whatever environment I happen to be in at the time. That's what a BoB is about, to keep you going during a bugout.
Old December 6, 2008, 04:38 PM   #63
FireForged

4 rules of Bug-out-bag:

(E)nergy: includes food/water for 72hrs without rationing.
I prefer the coconut flavor food brick used my the coastguard. Its small, light are loaded with what you need. Water is water so however you like to carry it. Also, you must have a good water filter since in a pinch you would probably run out of water first.

(E)nemy: Will you have to defend yourself? What do you want to use?

(E)nvironment: Quick protection from elements ie. rain-cold-hot sun.
I prefer a french issue half shelter a wool blanket and plenty of 550 para cord. Plus your prefered version of a fire starter and a knife. Did I say knife? You must have a knife.

(I)njury: Everyone has their own prefered first aid bag.

Flashlights and things like that are a given but are not the "bare" essentials.

***forgot to asnwer the question: My choice would be Taurus 2" Revolver in 38special.***

Last edited by FireForged; December 6, 2008 at 07:12 PM.
Old December 6, 2008, 05:03 PM   #64
Hard Ball

A SIG P226 9mm and 10 spare magazines.
Old December 6, 2008, 05:09 PM   #65
Pilot

repost
Old December 6, 2008, 08:22 PM   #66
vox rationis

It looks like the marketing department at S&W is finding new and creative ways to get rid of their Sigmas
Old December 6, 2008, 08:39 PM   #67
SilentHitz

I ordered one of those from CDNN, minus the pistol...put my SP101 in it. They can keep the sigma.
Old December 6, 2008, 09:37 PM   #68
skeeter1

Quote:
"My bug out bag is my house. I am not going anywhere."
I'm 100% with you there. Since they passed the "castle doctrine" law in Ohio, I'm going to sit in my house with a loaded handgun in my pocket. In the unlikely event that the SHTF, I've got enough MREs, ammo, LED lights (9 at last count), 10 gals. of water (not counting the 50 gal. water heater), two Coleman stoves, and three gals. of Coleman fuel. I can hole-up in here for a month at the very least.

Forget "bug-out". If anything, I'll "bug-in".
Old December 6, 2008, 09:41 PM   #69
vox rationis

Quote:
I ordered one of those from CDNN, minus the pistol...put my SP101 in it. They can keep the sigma.
hehe, too funny..but on second thought, maybe a Sigma wouldn't be too bad as an "emergency kit" gun, as it is cheap and almost disposable, in a sense.
Old December 7, 2008, 01:16 AM   #70
FireForged

The Katrina disaster is a good example where in a pretty large city, many could not stay home and couldnt get out of the city either. Some of those people ran around in total chaos for 7 days with zero services. No elec, no water, no medical, no police, no food, no shelter and among civil unrest.

People were carrying stuff on floating wooden doors covered with loafs of bread and water jugs.
Old December 7, 2008, 09:17 AM   #71
pinetree

I'm another get to my home and stay there guys - I don't live in a hurricane or fire area. I do have a Walther P22 in a butt pack with the basics in my truck, along with a Hi Power 9mm. I things shtf, we would try to ride it out at home, then if needed head to the farm and I would take most of my guns.

If I did have a BOB, it would be the afore mentioned P22 as I always have a CCW on me or with me and the Hi Power or 1911 nearby.
Old December 7, 2008, 09:32 AM   #72
Old John

A Get Home Bag!

DSW & I each have a Get Home Bag, behind the seat, in our trucks.
She has a truck gun, and a CCW, as do I.
If the SHTF, and we are away from the House, that's where we'll be heading.
That's why we are prepared, at Home. There's no need for us to leave,
our rural location.
Old December 9, 2008, 04:21 PM   #73
plom

Glock 19 + 2 spares mags on my belt and my ruger SP101 22 LR + 250 rounds in my bag.
Old December 9, 2008, 04:35 PM   #74
MaxHeadSpace

"Bug Out Bags" --

You're the people that law enforcement and emergency crews are going to be watching for. National Guard has a contingency plan for the "Bug Out Bag" enclave.

This whole mind-set seems to be the product of some testosterone derived dysfunction, Hollywood media marketing, and the post adolescent reveries of young males living in their parent's basement and having too much time on their hands.
Old December 10, 2008, 06:40 AM   #75
plom

say it to people who have experienced Katrina hurricane, I'm sure your theory about derived dysfunction and media marketing will please them.
For sure paranoia isn't a good thing, but when things like katrina or other kind of riots happen, there is 2 kind of people, the one who are prepared,they might have good chances and the one caught with the pants down, this is not a myth, but a proven fact...
Do you remember how long time it took before emergency plan was organized under katrina?