The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old November 2, 1999, 01:56 PM   #1
shamster

Can someone recommend a decent case, preferably hardshell, that can hold both an AR-15 and a shotgun? Something not too pricey. Thanks!

[This message has been edited by shamster (edited November 02, 1999).]
Old November 2, 1999, 02:28 PM   #2

shamster,
Moving your request to the Gear & Accessories Forum, so you can get a faster answer.
Old November 2, 1999, 06:53 PM   #3
slickpuppy

Shamster,
I don't know what your price range is, but Dillon Precision has aluminum hard cases from Ziegel Engineering that are reasonable. They are over $100.00 though. Doskocil and Gun Guard make inexpensive plastic cases that are well under $100.00.
Old November 2, 1999, 08:05 PM   #4
hksigwalther

I have a 'Field Locker' which, as I recall, is a Doskocil. A very durable plastic 2-gun case. Padded, eggcrate-type foam. Three very strong latches per side. It is capable of holding my scoped bolt-actions with additional room, even ammo. It should be able to handle the 15 with its pistol grip (minus the mag).

Short comings :

Long - Have to drop the rear seats of my car to fit the case in. Somewhat unwieldy, particularly with two guns in it (weight).

Feet - The four molded-in feet have sharp corners that tend to snag on carpeting, upholstery, etc.

Interior Clearance - With a sunshade attached to a scope, it comes very close to the plastic edges of the inside. A good bump could cause the gun to shift (despite a tight fit between the foam pads) and damage the scope.

Flex - The plastic does flex a bit if you have alot of stuff in the case. You might have to close the lid a couple of times or press in a couple of places so the lid and body edges line up.

Water Proof - Not.

Overall, however, I think its a good buy at under $50. (I think I paid $35-$40. It was a long time ago.) It can take a beating and you won't mind the dings and scratches.

If you want something a little more durable and water tight you might want to try a Pelican or Browning (which I think is made by Pelican). I've been meaning to get a couple.

- Ron V.

------------------