The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Lock and Load: Live Fire Exercises

Old April 8, 2000, 06:21 PM   #1
Rainbow Six

First of all, it was great to meet those of you that went to Hot Shots in Marietta today! Too bad I didn't get to shoot long. I had a squibb load that lodged a bullet about half way down the barrel of my Ruger SP101, which ended my day early.

Now, down to business. I went by Wolf Creek on my way home and asked about getting the range on a Saturday afternoon "just for us". They loved the idea and said that if 6-10 of us show up they could probably cut us a deal and charge maybe $10 or so per person and close half the range to the public from 3:00PM to 6:00PM, giving us free run and plenty of time to get in some good shooting.

They also have the COLT live fire simulator that we can run through if we want to. I haven't tried it yet but I'm anxious to do so.

If you are interested, please post here or e-mail me and we can schedule our next get together. Here's a link to Wolf Creek.

http://www.wolfcreek-gun.com/

Let me know,

R6
Old April 8, 2000, 07:02 PM   #2
killer45auto

sory to here that about the squib,DaHaMac had the same thing happen to him,sounds good about wolf creek ,ill have to make sure i go.I had fun and we will have to do it again sometime !

killer45auto
Old April 8, 2000, 07:03 PM   #3
Ben

Count me in!!! Just gimme a date.

Ben

------------------
Almost Online IM: BenK911
ICQ # 53788523
"Gun Control Is Being Able To Hit Your Target"
Old April 8, 2000, 07:43 PM   #4
DaHaMac

Count me in too.

Wondered what happened to you Rainbow Six. I had a squibb in my Redhawk, didn't have enough crimp on a 45LC reload. Lowe's has 1/4" brass rod that did the trick for me. I cut it into one foot length, place a towel under the gun, and proceeded to bang away with a hammer. It was suprisingly easy to get the squibb out and the gun fires fine now. I have the luxury of being able to shoot a few rounds at my house.

DaHaMac
Old April 8, 2000, 10:52 PM   #5
Bud Helms

That sounds like a great idea. I didn't make it today, but I was thinking about you guys shooting without me.

BTW, I still plan on you guys coming down to Warner Robins for a day (or morning, or afternoon) of shooting and visiting. The last time I posted, I mentioned the 29th of this month. We can visit/shoot on our outdoor range for the whole day. Everyone still interested? Is the 29th still good?

By last count, I have identified twenty-five GA TFLers. That isn't all of us for sure. One or two on my list are out-of-towners that said they'd make it.
Old April 8, 2000, 11:26 PM   #6
Rainbow Six

DaHaMac,

Actually, one of the guys working at Hot Shots removed the bullet from the bore for me and didn't charge me anything. It has always been a pleasure to do business there. Great folks indeed!!

Unfortunately, I had already signed out of the range and payed up by the time he got it out so I decided to leave and go by Wolf Creek on the way home. I'm sorry about running off without saying anything. It was nice meeting everyone.

Oh well, the first 20 rounds that *DID* go bang were fun!! I'll be sure to make up for it next time.

R6
Old April 9, 2000, 04:37 PM   #7
Dan

Tried to make it to the shoot at Hot Shots but got called into work saturday morning. After a rough night w/the baby, my wife was not - repeat - was NOT too keen on me leaving to go shoot an hour after I got home!

I think Wolf Creek's a better range than Hot Shots, but Hot Shots has far better prices.This is just my opinion... Hot Shots won't let you use cardboard targets, too hard on thier clips that hold the targets. So my homegrown sillohuettes are verboten...

I've tried the Colt Tru-Fire at Wolf Creek more than a couple times, bring lots of preloaded mags!

I live in Hiram, about 7-8 miles up hwy 92 from Douglasville. So a Wolf Creek shoot is real do-able for me. Rifles at Advanced Bullets would be cool too. If anybody wants to meet shoot me an E-Mail!

------------------
Dan

Si vis pacem para bellum!

Check me out at:
<A HREF="http://www.mindspring.com/~susdan/interest.htm" TARGET=_blank>

www.mindspring.com/~susdan/interest.htm</A>
www.mindspring.com/~susdan/GlocksnGoodies.htm

Old April 9, 2000, 09:23 PM   #8
Rainbow Six

Dan, it's a deal. As soon as I get my 788 back from the 'smith, let's get together at Advanced Bullets and punch some paper. I live about 5 minutes from Advanced Bullets between Temple and Carrollton. I have a box of 168gr Federal Gold Medal sitting here just waitin' to be burned!!

I could meet you at Wolf Creek most any time if I'm off work. I'm off wednesday and thursday this week. If you can get loose either of those days just let me know by tuesday night.

R6
Old April 10, 2000, 04:59 AM   #9
JimR

Sounds good to me! While the folks were nice, I really didn't like Hot Shot's range very much. Due to the poor lighting, I couldn't tell if I was punching holes in the black at 7 yds. I fired about 5-6 rounds initially, couldn't believe I was shooting so poorly that nothing was on the paper. I pulled the target back, and was relieved to find all shots in the black. You just couldn't tell!

At my normal range, American Classic Marksman (at Peachtree Industrial & Medlock Bridge), I can tell. Better lighting.

Anyway, it would be great to have our own area so that we could be more interactive without having to watch the clock.
Old April 10, 2000, 11:53 AM   #10
Danger Dave

I only have one question....WHEN????

I'll do everything I can to be there. I'm right down the road from Dan, in Dallas.

Advanced Bullets is an option for me, too. Is it okay to bring a guest or two? I need to do some rifle shooting, it's been too long...
Old April 10, 2000, 02:08 PM   #11
richardb

I'm interested. Pick a Saturday and I'll be there!
Old April 10, 2000, 06:49 PM   #12
Rainbow Six

I work this saturday but I'm off the next and I am off every other weekend. What's good for you guys? Let's do this. How about next saturday, April 22? Yes? No? Maybe? The next saturday I will have off will be May 6.

Jim,

Yeah, the lighting at Hot Shots leaves a LOT to be desired, unless you are training for low light combat. Hey, it ain't like the felons don't come out at night!! I knew about the lighting problem so I brought my Shoot-N-C target decals. I would have been glad to give you a few of them. I think Daddycat got a couple. They make it easier to tell whether or not you're "sending 'em home".

Also, I couldn't agree more about having our own section of the range. At Wolf Creek they have two separate ranges, not 12 lanes divided by a wooden petition like Hot Shots. We should have several lanes and a range room all to ourselves from 3PM to 6PM (closing) for a simple "per head" cover charge.

Danger Dave,

The more the merrier, man! I'm five minutes from Advanced Bullets and 25 minutes from Wolf Creek. Anytime I'm off work I'll be glad to meet any of you at Wolf Creek *OR* Advanced Bullets.

The only catch is, I don't have a rifle to take to AB right now. I should have my Remington 788 back in just over a week. I talked to my 'smith today and he said that he may finish ahead of schedule. I can't wait!!

BTW, any of you are welcome to e-mail me anytime you can head to either place whether it's a group thing or not. I enjoy meeting and shooting with other enthusiasts. Besides, I need the practice. I seem to have "learned" a flinch when shooting DA with my Ruger SP101 .357. Ugggghhhhh!!

R6

Old April 15, 2000, 12:20 PM   #13
DaHaMac

Hmmm, April is quickly drawing to a close for me time and money wise. How about the middle of May for a shoot at Wolf Creek? Around the 20th maybe? If everyones calendar will allow.

------------------
Know Yourself, Know Your Weapon, Know Your Enemy; then Know Victory! DaHaMac
Old April 15, 2000, 06:36 PM   #14
Rainbow Six

I am off May 6 (saturday) and May 20 (saturday). I work the other two saturdays in May.

Let's make it May 20th. Let's start a list of who's going to try and make it so I have some kind of idea what to set up with the range guys.

I'm starting a new thread for this date.

------------------
R6...aka...Chris