The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Lock and Load: Live Fire Exercises

Old April 2, 2000, 10:33 AM   #1
45King

I bought a new one of these puppies a couple of weeks ago from Shooter's Choice in Columbia, SC, which also has an indoor range. I also bought a box of Gold Dot 165 gr., a box of Federal Hydra-Shok 155 gr., and a box of WW 180 gr. FMJFP (50 frds.) I immediately shot the gun to see where it was sighted, and found that from 5 to 25 yds, all the loads were shooting 2" right and 4" low. I was able to get the sights set closer to target that day, but didn't have enough time to get them perfect.
I returned to the range yesterday and bought a box of PMC 165 gr FMJFP, and finsihed the job. Now it's pretty much dead on POA out to 25 yds. Will have to get to an outdoor range to determine what it's doing at 50 to 100.

After finishing the sight-in process, I decided to do a little "snap shooting" with it, using a technique I had read about years ago as a youth. A fellow by the name of Lucky McDaniel had written a book called Instinct Shooting, and this was the technique I tried. McDaniel used BB rifles to teach it, and the first thing he did with a new BB gun was to take off all the sights. Amazingly, it worked...he could take a 7 year old kid who had never shot before, and have them busting Necco wafers at 15 yds with about 10 mins. instruction. McDaniel himself was famous for shooting thrown BB's out of the air with his sightless BB gun.

At any rate, I tried his method at 15 yds with the carbine. I just looked over the top of the gun, ignoring the sights, and shot it like a shotgun. The key, I think, is in the mount. Instead of using the strong hand (right, in my case) to bring the stock to the shoulder, McDaniel had advised to mount the gun using the left hand from a high port carry. He taught Joe Louis the method, and he described it to Louis by telling him to think of throwing a left jab while holding the gun. This is what I kept in mind. I tried shooting 5 single shots on one target by mounting using my right hand, and then did the same slapping the stock to my cheek by throwing the left had out straight like a jab. Pick the spot you want to hit, keep your eye on it, and go. Guess what? That resulted in tighter groups than shooting off the bench with sights & a rest at 15 yds! I was astounded! No real sight picture, just a rough index, and man, all those shots were nearly one ragged hole! Gotta remember that, this method is a keeper (for me, at least.)
Have any of y'all tried sightless point shooting with a rifle at close ranges? What were your experiences with it?

------------------
Shoot straight regards, Richard at The Shottist's Center http://forums.delphi.com/m/main.asp?sigdir=45acp45lc
Old April 4, 2000, 11:42 PM   #2
VictorLouis

Good hits? WITHOUT SIGHTS? Boy, don't let that get around. The cognescenti don't like to hear that. Did you ever wonder why shotguns only come with a bead? You can't tell me that accuracy is not required to hit a bird in flight!

[This message has been edited by VictorLouis (edited April 05, 2000).]
Old April 5, 2000, 05:54 AM   #3
45King

I'm thinking that it didn't hurt anything to have spent my youth hunting doves and quail.

"The mourning dove is a pretty little bird that weighs about five ounces and seems to fly about twenty miles per hour per ounce. Biologists claim they are actually much slower, which may be why biologists miss so many of them."-Down the Creek With Eddie Finaly

------------------
Shoot straight regards, Richard at The Shottist's Center
Old April 7, 2000, 03:22 PM   #4
zot

I've tried similar shooting but using my
strong side, AKS 30 rds, 50 yds at a lifesize
badguy paper target,I try to stick with double taps, but allways end up trying to
pull the trigger as fast as I can , after the dust settles I get groups similar to
buckshot patterns, A FEW fliers!but I admitt
the first 2 shots were in the chest, I have
a burmed area and no people near by, its all
fun.:]