The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Lock and Load: Live Fire Exercises

Old March 6, 2000, 04:52 AM   #1
George Hill
Staff Alumnus

1200 rounds. Not a bad weekend.
Most of it was benched, time spent wise...
5.56mm Nato
Commercial .223 loads
.223 Hand Loads
7.62mm Nato Surplus
Commercial .308 loads
.45 ACP factory loads
I did an ungodly amount of shooting - and I feel great!
Most of my shooting time was spent with the M96 Expiditionary Rifle, and my FAL.
See my M96 information in the related thread in Rifles.
After I benched the M96 I benched my FAL. My FAL Loved Winchester Fail Safe ammo... Loved it. It was shooting a sub MOA group when I did everything right. AMMO was a big factor in it's shooting, but only in group size... It digested everything with no hicups. After I got it zeroed for 100 meters I started reaching out further and further - re-zeroing ever hundred aftwards untill I was shooting out to 800 Meters and making consistant hits on a certain smallish bolder I was using for a target. About the size of 55 gallon drum. Maybe a tad bigger.
I had switched scopes to a more powerful scope that was better suited to long range - and the difference was marked. I could easily aquire several small furry desert critters very far away and then blow them up.
During an extended session - that big .308 was still comfortable to shoot.
My Nato cases all turned out to be Berdan primed - so that irked me... But the rest of the cases were okay - and fellow in Vernal paid me a good penny for the empties...
After firing 200 rounds more of .45 through my Springfield 1911A1 (aka "Loaded" Model) I have determind that for a production slab-side, its the best there is. Rough compaired to the TRP, but very good none the less. No Jams... No Problems.
Cleaning it was annoying as I am not sure I am a fan of the Guide Rod. Not a real NEED in the .45, and adds extra steps in the take down and back together process. Not a real problem per say.
Nice Weather... Had some grilled burgers out there... a grilled steak and peppers and onions... spiced with cordite and Shooter's Choice... Great weekend.
Old March 6, 2000, 07:06 AM   #2
yorec

George,

I've been waiting to hear how the FAL performed for you. I'm glad it did so well. I always suspected it was capable of more than I got out of it. Any way, good hunting.......................I don't have to worry about you having fun with that gun, it comes naturally.

Oh yeah, the AR-15 is also doing just fine. What ever you did to fix it worked very well, nearing 500 rounds and no hiccups yet. I put an IBD mission ready sling on it and an Accudot red dot sight. Its a great set up!

Try one of these slings on your FAL, I bet you'll love it. It would help take up some of that weight if your doing much walking, though I think it would make it tougher if you planned to shoot much using a bipod.
Old March 6, 2000, 08:58 AM   #3
George Hill
Staff Alumnus

Hey - good to hear from you again...
Yes - I am loving the FAL. It is indeed a fine rifle. I had to do some work to get it to do some good printing, but not that much work. The FAL is a most interesting rifle and I cant believe I used to see these things for sale for 400 bucks at a wal mart type store called "Roses" back in VA - AND I PASSED THEM UP!
I am kicking myself!

500 rounds and no problems? Sweet - I figured I had that Bushmaster turned in right... That buffer did make a difference.
I hope it continues to serve you well.
Old March 8, 2000, 01:39 PM   #4
bergie

What, no 2-gun antics this time???
I was hoping for another good laugh.
Bergie
Old March 9, 2000, 04:08 AM   #5
George Hill
Staff Alumnus

Nope - I dont goof off, so when I did, I let it all hang loose and thought it was funny enough to post about - that actually happened last summer.