The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Lock and Load: Live Fire Exercises

Old March 7, 2000, 04:07 PM   #1
fubsy

After this move things have been hetic and i finally had to take a day off to go shoot.....Ive found some gun friends here who took me to their shooting spot, it turns out the guy comes down and opens up just for these 4 or 5 folks only on mondays....there a great group.
Since i havent had the opportunity to shoot since ive been here I took a lot to the range....and found out that untill the ole eyes get tired and I can still lay em in there for 5 or 6 shots....
I started witht that beat up ole garand svc grade i received from the cmp last year and using 155gr hardball at 100 yds that rifle kept em in a small group never hit the x but I was solid in the ten, then I started getting tired and the eyes started blurring and I started opening up, but only one in the 8....
I next went with that bushmaster post ban carbine with 16" barrel, using imi 55 gr, that durn rifle can shoot, once again I surprised my self with good hits in the 10 and this time with a couple of x's....at 100 yds...awesome little rifle.....
I tried shooting the smoothbore 870 with slugs at 100yds and found it had to have a bead over height to impact the correct vertical, but the horizontal were off by a foot either way, the bead made it hard to get finer accuracy,,,,i tried it one shot at appx 65 yds to see where the thing was shooting, (at one of those wooden telephone line wheels), you should have seen the wood fly,,,,,most impressive.
all of these long guns shot from sandbags and benched........
A friend was nice enuf to let me shoot his steyer cooper scout rifle and it is a most impressive rife, I put 3 of the five in the ten and the other two were right out side of it.....by that time my eyes were tired and so was the rest of me...i sure do like that rifle, I did find that with my eyes I was having a hard time quartering the bullseye with the thick cross hairs,,,,a greatly reduced cross hair section would work better for me perhaps......I just cant see paying $2600 for the rifle when i can pick up two m1a's for that price.......
Then went to the pistols and that showed that I have lost a step or two, shot horribly with em, My 40s/w hi power acutally jammed 3 times on me, so its most likely getting the nod for the trip back to the gunschmidt.....
I had a blast, good friends, good shooting, great weather, I need to do more of it......the only problem in this area is that the only two ranges near me are at least an hour away and there open times arent good for me........
later......fubsy.