The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 11, 2004, 03:49 PM   #1
gifted

first gig

I've considered the idea of getting my father reloading stuff. When I wnet home last, we spent some money and fired off a few rounds in his .30-06. He mentioned wanting to practice shoot it more often, and also the possibility that he'd buy a pistol.

I realize easily that reloading would be cheaper for him, and the fact that he couldn't find 110 grain bullets. He would have prefered to use those, but nobody in the area had them.

At any rate, any ideas on what to get him? He probably won't get more than the two guns, and I was wondering if there are setups that can do several different loads like this. I've never loaded before either, though I have an uncle that does. I suppose I need to call him, but the more info, the better.
Old June 11, 2004, 05:50 PM   #2
RobW

Go with the Lee single stage press (the turret might be too small for 30-06). Their dies and other stuff you need are very affordable and provide the same precision as the "Studio 54" stuff. Look up the web-site www.leeprecision.com but buy it from www.midwayusa.com very much cheaper. Lots of people cannot sleep without one of the Lyman, RCBS, Dillon, or Redding stuff (yes, they are very good), the same way someone cannot sleep without a Rolls Royce, Jaguar, Maserati, or Ferrari.
Old June 13, 2004, 06:43 PM   #3
Dave R

You can reload both rifle and pistol ammo with the same equipment.

One of the lowest cost kits, which is still reasonable in quality, is the Lee Anniversary Kit. It has everything you need except a caliper for precisely mesasuring length.

You can get it at MidwayUSA for under $80. Search www.midwayusa.com for Lee Anniversary Kit. You would want the one with the Modern Reloading Manual.
Old June 13, 2004, 10:52 PM   #4
rwilson452

Lee kit

I would go with the Lee turret the 4 hole version. and get an extra turret for each caiber your going to reload. If you get it with the progressive thing you can kick out pistol plinking ammo rather quickly and still use it as a single stage for some real accurate rifle stuff. as it uses standard dies if he want's to start sinking big bucks into fancy dies he can use the same press.