The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old January 30, 2014, 12:31 PM   #1
ZVP

I'm in Love!

This year, I purchased a S&W Model 36 and a Nodel 10 HB and ;pve em!
I bought both with the intention of D/A shooting in mind and it's been a real battle to try and learn the style of shooting.
Both revolvers are all Steel and for .38 Special loads omly. The round is adequate for the chore however shooting skills need be learned! Poor pratice with a .44 Mag is ineffictive!
I am attempting to develope my skills to make these or any reolvers effective!
Forever, I have wanted both these revolvers but being a S/A fan, I kept buying the old S/A's instead. Both these reolvers were excellent deals and at the time I did have the cash and gravved em!
Both models carry well in belt holsters and the little Chief has a bobbed hammer (former owner) nd it is really fine for pocket carry.
The HB Model 10 is quite accurate and the extra heft of the barrel tames the .38 Special to almost nothing. The little Chief DOES kick a bit but nothing unruley.
Both make fine HD, Traik fubs and Plinkers. The .38 Special is more than good for defense against feral animals and 2 legged pests!
Simplicity and reliability were paramount when I made the purchases. S&W did a fine job of building the "perfect" revolver for me!
When in dabgerous country and/or more power is needed, I carry my Ruger Vaquero in ,357 Mag. Old havit and it just deels comfortable to me...
BPDave
Old January 30, 2014, 03:44 PM   #2
ckpj99

Double action shooting does take some practice. I started with a Model 10 (4" heavy barrel) and then bought a Model 36 as well.

Dry fire practice with snap caps really helps. A smooth pull while keeping the revolver perfectly still is the goal. It's easy to see when drying firing if you're yanking the gun around during your pull.

Keep practicing! You have two very nice guns!
Old January 31, 2014, 08:57 PM   #3
Mosin44az

The Model 10 4 inch HB is one of the best-looking revolvers ever. I will get one some day....they are not as common as they used to be....
Old January 31, 2014, 09:36 PM   #4
ZVP

Guys,
You all echoed my thoughts about these Smiths!
I agree Mosin, the HB is probabLLY the most typical S&W. The HB Model 10 features all the components that you'd want on a "Combat" revolver! It is one of the best looking Smiths that has ever made! it employs all the tricks and custom features built right into the weapom, creating a perfect fighting and rough service revolver. It is and hs been employed by Military anf Law enforcemrnt, since it's debut.
One could view the Model 10 (in all barrel lengths) as very astheticlly pleasing!
BPDave
Old February 1, 2014, 12:53 AM   #5
jason_iowa

Grats man!

I enjoy shooting 44mag and out of an m29 6.5in I find most rounds to be pretty soft shooting.

I agree though 38spc is something that really can do it all and is a blast on the range.

Here I thought this was going to be a horror story about you being in love with a woman who was going to make you sell off all your guns to us at a steep discount.
Old February 1, 2014, 07:21 AM   #6
bushrat1

The Model 10 is and always will be a classic .38sp in my mind. I'll never forget my first one I bought 2nd hand. The previous owner took excellent care of it, and by the time I got it the trigger was as smooth as silk. Real nice pair of firearms. You done good.
Old February 2, 2014, 09:32 PM   #7
bedbugbilly

Congrats! Both great revolvers! I don't know how you could help but love both of 'em.

My carry is a Model 36 snub - I love the size of it and for my purposes, it works great. I also have a "Pre-10". Mine was shipped in 1952, the same year I was born so it's kind of special to me. Mine has a 5" barrel and is a great shooter.

The 38spl is probably my favorite cartridge - plenty adequate. I love reloading it and out of my Pre-10, a 148 gr WC and the 150 gr RN are my favorites. Very accurate . . . the only limitations on the gun is me!

You'll love both of 'em and as time goes on, love 'em even more! Enjoy them!

What is your Model 36 . . . a snub or a 3"? I love the snub but at some point, want to add one of the 3" Model 36s to the "herd". One of those would be just about perfect for a nice "kit gun".
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old February 2, 2014, 09:36 PM   #8
bedbugbilly

ZVP - I just re-read your post . . . forgot to mention that I also have a Ruger NV in 357 - a 5" blued. Another excellent handgun! I shot SA for years and it sure is a nice shooter . . . rugged and dependable! I just switched the factory grips out on mine for a pair of Eagle "gunfighter" rosewood grips. They make it feel even better!

You and I think along the same lines . . . maybe we're long lost cousins?
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old February 2, 2014, 11:39 PM   #9
ZVP

Bedbugbilly,
The more Iread about these models the more I an convinced that we do have a lot of "Cousins" out there!
Popularity is on the upswing and for good reason, the cartrige and guns built for it work! They fill the bill for mny different uses and with new bullet developements, I can onlyforsee greater sucess for the .38 Special!
Tell Auntie and Uncle Hi from me...
ZVP
Old February 5, 2014, 12:49 AM   #10
ZVP

Bed Bug, I just didn't mentin Rugers because thr trigger guards hit my knuck;e very hard! too many broken/twisted fingers.
they're GREAT guns!
ZVP
Old February 5, 2014, 10:47 AM   #11
joe-lumber

Model 36 - 2" barrel is one of my carry weapons. Then I saw a Model 36 - 3" barrel and I can hit the bullseye much easier with the longer sighting plane. The 2" is certainly easy to conceal. Love both of the Model 36 and I have been looking for either a Model 60 or a Colt Detective Special in good shape.
J