The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old September 16, 2013, 12:44 PM   #1
Wyoredman

Model 70 Post 64 Extractor Plunger Problems

Help me Smithy's!

The extractor on my post '64 model 70 (push feed) was needing replacement. I ordered a new extractor from Numrich. While I was at it, I ordered an new extractor spring and plunger. Figured I would replace the whole extractor set-up while I was at it.

When the parts came, I tried for an hour to get the new plunger to compress enough to allow the extractor to slide into place. Couldn't get it to work.

I compared the new plunger to the old one. There is a small variance in height between the two. I used the old plunger and the extractor slid right in place, no problems.

Have you Smiths had to file a bit on replacement extractor plungers to get them to allow the extractor to slide into place? I am thinking that that is the fix, but for now I am using the old plunger with the new spring and new extractor.

What say you?
Old September 16, 2013, 02:43 PM   #2
PetahW

If it ain't broke, don't "fix" it. .

If you feel a new plunger's indicated, then I would suggest fitting it so that it dupes the original plunger.