The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 8, 2013, 10:09 AM   #1
SIMP

Shield 9mm...the legend

So, if your area is anything like mine, pistols are hard to come by right now. About a week ago I had a chance t buy a Shield 9mm brand new but didn't have the funds at that time so I had to pass. Since then, I haven't seen a one anywhere locally.

I'm a Ruger fan myself as I own the LCP and P95 and really enjoy them. I decided to go ahead and get on a reserve list for the LC9 to stay with Ruger but I knew about the "overboard" safeties on the LC9 before hand and I'm okay with it.

Anyway, back to the subject... Is the Shield that good of a gun or is it just the hottest fad/trend right now? I remember when the LCP was in the similar situation and selling like hotcakes too. What makes the Shield so popular? Thanks.
Old February 8, 2013, 10:19 AM   #2
pat701

It's a fad until the next fad comes. Look at what fads happened with AR's the last 6 years.
Old February 8, 2013, 11:03 AM   #3
chewie146

It's a good gun that's just an M&P sliced down the middle. No interchangeable back straps and a good trigger. You won't be disappointed if you get one, but don't pay a premium either.
Old February 8, 2013, 11:03 AM   #4
Mercenary

I had a Shield and it was a great gun. I bought one because of all the hype and it was at a great price. I think what really sets it apart from other single stack models is the fact its striker fired vs DAO and its made after the popular M&P. However, I ended up selling mine in favor of a G27. Sure its thicker but not really noticable however its double stack and takes higher capacity mags. Additionally with flush fit mags, it has a shorter grip than the Shield and when you added the extended mag to the Shield it was the same height as a G19/23. For me I prefer more capacity if carrying a gun that tall, YMMV. The gun itself was flawless. I took advantage of the hype and low availability and sold mine for $150 more than I paid

Now that the XDs is available in 9mm, I think the Shield will have more competition than just the PPS.
Old February 8, 2013, 11:07 AM   #5
SIMP

Thanks all. I've seen these on online sites/auctions for $600 and over and that seems high to me. I mean, I can see it a great gun at the $400-$450 price point but it seems you could do a little better when you start getting near the $500-$600 range. I'm no gun expert....just my opinion.

The LC9 I'm getting is $350 + FFL transfer fee which puts it around $375 or so. Seems a better deal than getting a Shield for $600+
Old February 8, 2013, 11:13 AM   #6
certified106

I had been looking for one for months and then my brother in law bought one and at first I was jealous but after getting range time with it I really just felt mehhh about it. Personally I would rather have my Kahr CM9 and a XDS

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2
Old February 8, 2013, 11:13 AM   #7
Fishbed77

Quote:
It's a fad until the next fad comes.
Indeed.

There are a lot of great pistols in this class (slim single-stack compact 9mm). Some are better than others IMO, and some have different features, but all are quality products and all will serve you well. It seems like the latest one annouced always draws the most attention until a new one is announced. It has gone like this so far the past few years (may be a little out of order based on how accurate my memory is):

Walther PPS -> Ruger LC9 -> Kahr CM9 -> Beretta Nano -> M&P Shield

My guess is the next big fad will be the XDs in 9mm.

Personally, I own a Kahr CM9. I love the simplicity, size, and quality. I suppose my second choice would be a Walther PPS, but it's a bit bigger and costs a lot more.
Old February 8, 2013, 11:14 AM   #8
breakingcontact

Quote:
Is the Shield that good of a gun or is it just the hottest fad/trend right now? I remember when the LCP was in the similar situation and selling like hotcakes too. What makes the Shield so popular? Thanks.
The Shield is an excellent gun. I don't know if them not producing "enough" is adding to the desirability/reputation of the gun?

The trigger is really good to excellent. Why S&W doesn't use the same or similar in their full size and compact guns escapes me. Different design perhaps.

Yes, it is relatively low capacity. That comes with the size. The grip with the 8 round mag is actually longer than the compact I believe, but it is very thin.

As far as the LC9 vs the Shield, to me it is no comparison.

Shield has a much better trigger, better safety, better sights, handles recoil better, no mag disconnect and on and on.
Old February 8, 2013, 11:16 AM   #9
SIMP

Well, you all are making me feel better about not buying that new one last week. I have no doubt that it's a quality gun, but when you start getting a substantial amount of MSRP, seems kind of ridiculous.

Quote:
As far as the LC9 vs the Shield, to me it is no comparison.
My Ruger's have been flawless so I decided to stick with what works. Now don't get me wrong, if the LC9 gives me trouble I may change my mind. It just seems proven from what I've read and seen.
Old February 8, 2013, 02:11 PM   #10
leadchucker

The Shield delivers everything that a large percentage of CCW buyers are looking for in a nice, attractive, relatively inexpensive package. S&W hit a home run with this one. Not surprising that they fly off the shelves, sometimes at ridiculous prices.

If you wait, you will eventually see them more readily available, and at more reasonable prices. If you want one now, be prepared to pay MSRP or more for it.
Old February 8, 2013, 02:13 PM   #11
breakingcontact

The LC9 isn't a bad gun, for me the Shield is just a much better gun.
Old February 8, 2013, 03:13 PM   #12
SIMP

Who am I kidding? I'll end up getting a Shield too! This gun buying stuff is an addiction and I haven't found a cure.
Old February 8, 2013, 04:15 PM   #13
gunloony

Quote:
...This gun buying stuff is an addiction and I haven't found a cure.
Uh, why would you want a cure?