The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old December 13, 2011, 04:12 PM   #1
bigjohn45638

Other guns similar to Ruger P95/SR9?

I am not really familiar with gun manufacturers and such; are there any other companies that make a 9mm that is equal or similar in quality/price to the Ruger? The Ruger is probably what I can afford and what I'll end up buying, but I was just curious if there are any others with good reputations for the same or near-same price tag. I've looked around a little, and from what I've seen on the shelves, Hi Point is about the only cheaper, but I've heard they're not "Hi"-ly ranked in quality. I know Glock seems to be a good brand, but what I've seen of them are ~$200 more than Ruger. What about Taurus? Any others?
Old December 13, 2011, 04:29 PM   #2
checkmyswag

How much do you want to spend?

What features would you like?
Old December 13, 2011, 04:41 PM   #3
carguychris

• SIG Pro P2022 & P250
  • CZ P-07
  • Smith & Wesson Sigma SW9VE & SD9 (the latter is fundamentally a dressed-up SW9VE but with better sights and a better trigger)
  • Rock Island Armory 1911's
  • FN Herstal FNP9 (recently replaced by FNX series so some retailers are clearing them out)
Also, don't count out LE trade-in Glocks and third-generation metal-frame S&Ws (e.g. Models 910, 915, 5903, & 5906).

That should get you started.
Old December 13, 2011, 05:10 PM   #4
bigjohn45638

Price wise, I don't have a set budget. Don't let that lead you to think I have a bunch of money laying around. I'm probably going to either save a little or use a shop's layaway. One shop in mind wants 20% down, pmts every two weeks, out the door in 60 days. That said, they have P95 for $339, SR9c for $419, and probably wouldn't be able to go much more, unless something phenomenally better was only $50-100 more. I actually really liked the P95 due to the price, but after my last post and its replies, I think I'm leaning to the SR9c.
Old December 13, 2011, 05:23 PM   #5
bigjohn45638

As for features, I'd like 9mm, bigger frame (big hands, don't want first handgun to be too small). I like the feel of the P95, but think I will be ok with the SR9c's adapter and 17rd mag for normal shooting and using the 10rd mag w/o adapter should be fine should I c/c later. I don't have a preference (yet) for sights, although I'd like to have accessory rail because I was given a laser sight that should fit. I don't plan on leaving laser on, but thought it would be fun to play with. I'm right-handed so I'm not concerned with ambidextrous controls, although being a new shooter, I plan to practice shooting ambidextrously. I like the polymer framed guns, but don't really know enough to have a preference. At first I didn't think I liked the newer 2-piece triggers, but I am all-for added safety features. I'm a paramedic. As much as we like to have fun, we know as well as anyone how important safety is. As far as aesthetic style, I prefer stainless over black.
Old December 13, 2011, 07:06 PM   #6
checkmyswag

I like the SR series A LOT.

But, if you have large hands...grip might feel a bit thin.

I have medium/large hands and can make the Ruger SR series work and S&W M&P as well.

The 3rd gen S&W recommendation isn't bad either. Would probably fit well and not cost too much.
Old December 13, 2011, 09:04 PM   #7
publius

I like the SR series a lot too. If you want a proven, utterly reliable weapon, look no farther than the P series. you really don't need to look beyond Ruger. If you do, the others have given good examples.
Old December 13, 2011, 09:41 PM   #8
reaganmarine84

P95 all the way. I'm not much of a fan of DA only semi-auto pistols,as in the SR9's case. The P95 is DA/SA,has good magazine capacity at 15+1;a price point around $350 give or take. And the newer (since 2006) manufactured models now have an accessory rail. White 3-dot sights with pinned front and dovetailed rear;Huge ejection port;beefy external extractor;slide mounted ambidextrous safety/decocker;rowel type external hammer;ambidextrous magazine release levers. They do seem to be a bit on the heavey side though.
Taurus 24/7 Pro DS 9mm & .40;(2)Taurus OSS DS 9mm;Taurus OSS DS .40;Taurus 809;809 compact;840;PT709 "slim" SS;PT738;full size BUL Cherokee;SCCY CPX-2;Smith&Wesson BG .380;Arcus 98 DA;EAA witness P 9mm;I.O. inc. AK-47C;Zastava PAP;Mossberg 500 tactical;Marlin model 60.

Last edited by reaganmarine84; December 13, 2011 at 09:49 PM.
Old December 13, 2011, 10:36 PM   #9
Johnnymurad

P95 all the way... I would buy it here:
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...ducts_id/18161
Prices vary day to day, I have recently seen them on this site selling for 300... buds has quick service, NO SALES TAX and no shipping fees. In my area the pawn shop charges 15 dollars to transfer a gun, you can save quite a bit by going this route. That said, before I order a gun I try the local gun shops first to see if they can get me close on the price, if it is within 20 dollars (out the door) I will buy local, more than 20 and I order online... I have had 2 shops tell me buds price is lower than their dealer price, in that case I have suggested they buy from buds as well...

The p95 is a tank, if you are buying a range gun it is the one I would buy. It has shot thousands of my cast bullet reloads and is still running strong.