The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 4, 2008, 10:39 PM   #1
Mike40-11

Finally broke down and got the Dillon!

Well, been kicking around a progressive press for a year or two now. I've been loading on a single stage Lee. Works great, but it does take some time. I'd been keeping up with what I was burning up but my son is shooting with me a lot more now and it's getting tougher.

Been kicking around the Hornandy L&L, RCBS 2000 and the Dillons, (even looking at the Loadmaster). Trying to decide what I liked best and comparing the costs. Ever heard of 'analysis paralysis'? That's pretty much where I was.

Anyway, stopped at a local shop that carries Dillon after work Monday. You know, just to check 'em out a little more.... He loads there and has several 550s and 650s set up. Long story short, I finally said the heck with it and walked out with a 550.

'Course, got home and realized "That little desk with the Challenger on it ain't gonna be big enough". Off to Home Depot! Finished up the bench tonight. One minor problem. I wanted it sturdy, right? So it's framed with 2x6s and topped with 2x12s. (You know, doubles as a tornado shelter) Yeah, well, hang the press off the front and the lever hits the face of the front support. Shoulda built it with an overhang . Oh well, got the strong mount on order. Couple more days of waiting not so patiently....

Now what the heck am I gonna do with all this pistol brass in various states of completion?
Old June 4, 2008, 11:46 PM   #2
Sevens

I'm still loading single stage. I'll be happy to take your half-processed pistol brass so you can start fresh with that fancy new press!

Congrats on the new machine. Now you'll have to feed it, though-- save your pennies!
Old June 5, 2008, 12:24 AM   #3
Shoney

Wellllllll Shoooooooooooootttttt!!!!!!!!!
Ya shoulda gone all the way! Top that sucker off with 8x12 railroad ties. Now that would be bomb proof.
I pledge allegiance to the Flag - - -, and to the Republic for which it stands….Our Forefathers were brilliant for giving us a Republic, not a democracy! Do you know the difference??? and WHY?http://www.wallbuilders.com/LIBissue...les.asp?id=111
Old June 5, 2008, 01:59 AM   #4
Nnobby45

Quote:
I finally said the heck with it and walked out with a 550.
Ah jeez. See that's what I'm talkin' 'bout. Guys like you keep buying Dillon 550B's, and us ol' guys that have had them for years spend more time on hold when we call to order stuff.
Old June 5, 2008, 07:10 AM   #5
Rottweiler

Welcome to the Blue Koolaid clan. Pull up a seat, cold ones in the fridge help yourself. You won't be disappointed
Old June 5, 2008, 08:37 AM   #6
CPTMurdoc30

Now you have to become a snobby blue lover and you must now badmouth all other reloading products with really hating Lee reloading presses.

You got the strong mount now you are going to need all sorts of goodies. The one thing I think is a must have is the bullet tray and the spare parts kit. It has come in handy and I have only had mine for 6 months (Stupid newbie mistake)....
Old June 5, 2008, 10:54 AM   #7
billy396

dillon

I got the spare parts kit. Figured I'd need it eventually anyway. But, I'm still too cheap to buy the bullet tray. I just still use the box they came in or whatever is handy. I don't even have the strong mount. I have way too many calibers to get all these fancy extras that I would love to have. If anyone out thre has any used parts, conversion kits, mounts etc. Please let me know, I'll buy used parts unless they're broken beyond repair.

Last edited by billy396; June 5, 2008 at 10:55 AM. Reason: spelling
Old June 5, 2008, 11:23 AM   #8
BigJimP

congratulations - I hope you really enjoy it.

Trust me, at least speaking for myself ......you're not the first one to need a little "revision" to a loading bench. I'm only on the 4th revision in the last 10 years ( lengthened it once, increased depth once, changed the top once to melamine - this last time changed the height, built 2 drawers and put a couple of shelves in it and cabinet doors on front ) - but just the other day, I was thinking about moving it to a different spot in the shop (changing the overhead light, mounting a couple of goose neck lights to the wall for some intense light ... running a couple new elec outlets, it would mean an L shape this time ....). It keeps going on and on.
Old June 5, 2008, 05:14 PM   #9
38 Super Auto

Congrats on the 550B. I have had one for 15 years+ and have really enjoyed mine. It took me a few years to embrace the toolheads cuz I'm cheap. That's one feature that really makes caliber changes fast and I don't lose my die settings.

One work of caution: the 550B is finicky sometimes and generally intolerant of grime and grit beneath the primer bar. You'll get to where you can feel when you seat a primer and you'll know if they stop feeding.

I typically take down the primer tower every 800-1000 rounds and clean everything real well. I have dressed up the primer bars with 600 grit to preempt primer feed issues.

It's not a perfect design, but I have been happy with it.
Old June 5, 2008, 08:59 PM   #10
clayking

Cut a knotch in the bench where the handle comes down and hits and start reloading. That's what I did, even with a strong mount.................ck
Old June 7, 2008, 04:08 PM   #11
Mike40-11

Well, got it up and running. Camera is MIA so I tried a cellphone pic, but it's tiny and blurry as all get out.

Anyway, wow. What a nice rig. The only thing I don't like is the belling adjustment. I quickly found the four most common settings: Too much, too little, barely, and holy crap the bullet will fall in. Finally got it where I like it. Very finicky. I can definitely see spare powder dies and toolheads for caliber changes. I don't want to fool with that part of the setup again.

It's a little faster than my single stage. I have a mess of primed brass so I ran a few through skipping the first stage. After what seemed like less than a minute I looked in the bin and there was a dozen rounds in there already! Checked OAL, crimp and disassembled to check the charge. Everything was right on.
Quote:
Now you have to become a snobby blue lover and you must now badmouth all other reloading products with really hating Lee reloading presses.
Oh no Murdoch! I'm keeping all my other bits and pieces. Hornady and Lee dies mostly, and plenty of other red stuff. In fact, I used my Lee scale to set up the powder drop. You don't think my new press will hate me for using Lee equipment to judge it, do you? So now I have a combination set up. Dillon press, Hornady sizing and seating dies, Dillon powder/belling die, and Lee crimp die. They all seem to be getting along.

Just a nice, solid outfit. Bolting it to the 75 or 100 pound table certainly helped. Nothing moves except what's supposed to.

I still haven't set up the primer feed. Gotta run through about 500 rounds of primed brass first.
Old June 7, 2008, 04:53 PM   #12
Shane Tuttle
Staff

Congrats, Mike.

I, myself, am a Hornady Lock 'N' Load owner. Honestly, I think both brands are of good quality. The Hornady has features that were important to me and that's all that matters. You plopped down hard earned money on the Dillon and I don't think you'll regret it.

In the end I see the important thing....another reloader that's been staying with the hobby.

Have fun with it and hope to see you around the forums...

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Old June 9, 2008, 08:18 AM   #13
Grollen

Congratulation With your Blue press

Congrats Mike,

I am sure you will love your Dillon.

One advice : Purchase toolheads for a quick change of calibers and keep the primer setup base clean.

If you encounter problems,or want more information go to :

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showforum=78

These are all heavy "Blue Press" users and have solutions for all the problems.

Greetings,

Gerard
Old June 9, 2008, 07:54 PM   #14
Mike40-11

Oh yeah. I've been to Brian Enos' site. I was considering buying from him but decided to get it here it town. Support the local guy and all that. Besides, that way I didn't have to wait for it to ship (Or pay for that part)

I'm sure I will love the Dillon. Because I already do! I loaded up 500 rounds this weekend over the course of maybe 2 hours total after getting everything dialed in.

Toolheads are definitely on the list. I'll be loading .45 and 9mm (maybe 5.56 later, once I burn through the not insubstantial stash of Lake City I have) and there ain't no way I'm going to re-set the dies every time I switch. I don't know if I'll get another powder measure right off though. For now just going to get a second powder die and switch the hopper from one toolhead to the other.

The shop is supposed to have some 9mm conversion kits in Thursday. That and another toolhead and stand and I should be good to go for a bit.

Well, that and some one-bys to build a coupla shelves on the back. Filled the new bench up pretty quick.

Anyway, to any single stage loaders considering a Dillon (or Hornady, or RCBS or whatever progressive you fancy), do it! Once everything's set up, it's not near as hard as you think to keep an eye on, even though everything's happening at once.

Now I gotta figure out where to get some more boolits. I'm on the last 2 boxes of $29/500. Boy that sounds cheap these days.
Old June 9, 2008, 08:24 PM   #15
arizona98tj

Quote:
Now I gotta figure out where to get some more boolits. I'm on the last 2 boxes of $29/500. Boy that sounds cheap these days.
Yes, it does.

I was digging around on the shelf the other day and found a cardboard box that I had stored some cast/lubed .38 Special bullets from a long ago casting session. The interesting part was that the box originally contained 500 Zero .38 wadcutters....purchased when I was in the military in VA. The price tag on the box as $12.95. Those were the days.
Old June 10, 2008, 03:31 PM   #16
Storage_man

Mike - You are going to love that 550. I bought my first one in 1989. Dillon has completely rebuilt it 3 times now (For free !). I have donated it to my son and he is a real happy camper. I do so many rifle cartridges now, I decided to upgrade. This is my new baby:

[img=http://img141.imageshack.us/img141/5805/reloadingbench3tc3.th.jpg]

I expect that Dillon will have to rebuild this one at least twice.

Enjoy your new 550 with the no BS Guaranty.