The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old March 1, 2006, 01:30 AM   #1
kawasakiklx

Help Quick!!!

I'm new to rifles, well other than my .22. I have a few questions about the rifle I am getting in in a few days. I ordered a Rem 700 SPS synthetic matte 30-06. I'm guessing since it doesnt say DM after the model it's a stationary mag. which sucks but oh well. Is there a way to convert it to a removeable mag. to fit more rounds?

My second question is it says "tapped for scope mounts." I already ordered a Burris fullfield II kit with the spoting scope. I need someone to explain and maybe link to the parts I would need to adapt this scope to my stock rifle. mounting plates scope loops etc.

the other thing is I ordered a bi-pod that attached to the front swivel. I also ordered a shoulder strap, how do both things go onto the front swivel. I ordered some of those metal clips that attach to the front and rear swivel that the strap goes through also. If anything I could see the strap attaching to the bi-pod maybe?

Also if I came across a BDL wood stock would it fit my metal on the SPS?

Below is a list of the items I ordered. Let me know what else I'll need or if I screwed up...

The Rifle Link:
http://www.gamaliel.com/cart/catalog...l_700_SPS.html

3x9x40mm scope/spotting link:
http://huntersdiscount.com/buscandspscp.html

Sling Link:
http://www.gamaliel.com/cart/custome...at=1213&page=1

Swivel clips link:
http://www.gamaliel.com/cart/custome...at=1213&page=1

Bi-pod link:
http://www.gamaliel.com/cart/custome...at=1328&page=1

The time you take to reply is greately appreciated!

P.S. you dont have to totally "dumb" the reply. I'm a cop so I know a little bit about Shotguns and Handguns. Just never had a reason for a rifle. Thanks again!
Old March 1, 2006, 11:04 AM   #2
Edward429451

The BDL stock will fit.
Brownells has the mag conversion kit for it. (dunno whats entailed in install)
You want leopould mounts & rings.
You cannot put both items on one mount point. On the synthetic version you could add another stud behind the other one, not sure about the wood BDL stock.

Welcome to the forum.

Brownells has most everything.
Old March 1, 2006, 12:03 PM   #3
Tom Matiska

Rem's site lists the 700 SPS as having a detachable mag.

http://www.remington.com/products/fi...el_700_SPS.asp

(edit) last paragraph of overview says hinged floorplate, Specifications to right says detachable, now I dunno.... Somewhere in Rem's listing of accessories is a detachable mag conversion kit.
Old March 1, 2006, 01:02 PM   #4
Mikeyboy

"Tapped for scope", usually means that it has screw holes to mount a scope and nothing more. +1 for Ed...get a decent scope mount and ring kit that matches your model rifle.
Old March 1, 2006, 01:56 PM   #5
SDLAW

Actually the bipod should have a place to attach the sling swivel. At least the Harris ones do.
Old March 3, 2006, 07:29 AM   #6
kawasakiklx

Thanks for the info guys. Can someon please link me to a good scope mounting setup just so I can see what it looks like, I try to search but there are so many little pieces I dont know what exactly I need.

Thanks again.
Old March 7, 2006, 04:21 AM   #7
kawasakiklx

Update: I bought some Leupold rings and a 2 piece mount set. I was going to get the single piece LA but I think I would feel more comfortable with the 2. Thanks again for all your help! I'll let you know how it all sets up!
Old March 7, 2006, 09:11 AM   #8
4V50 Gary
Staff

From what I've heard, Remington had problems with their detachable magazines so you may be better off with the fixed box. There is one aftermarket one but it's $200 a conversion kit and spare magazines aren't free either.
Old March 7, 2006, 09:54 AM   #9
rezmedic54

Rifle

When you mount the scope bases clean the screw holes with a Q-tip and alcohol then use the blue lock tite just a small drop on the screws to keep them from coming lose same on the rings when you mount the scope in them.
CCW Instrutor
NRA Certified Instructor
Gunsmith
Maricopa ,Az.

http:www.maricopashooting.com
Old March 8, 2006, 08:01 AM   #10
kawasakiklx

Ok, thanks for the advice. Where can you purchase that det. mag conversion and what type of mags/how many rounds will it accept?
Old March 16, 2006, 07:28 AM   #11
kawasakiklx

FYI everyone. I got my rifle and all of the parts associated. They came in good shape and we're the right sizes and models suprisingly!

Let's just say I LOVE this setup. It is exactly what I was looking for. On top of that I mounted everything on myself and took it to get boresighted. It was two click off to the left. I couldn't believe it, I think it was mostly luck. haha.

Anyway I shot 25yd site in, hitting about an inch to the left. Corrected and hit center of 4 no problem. Adjusted to 100yd and was hitting 10, 9 every shot on a 100 yard circular target. I used some crappy russian rounds I got for little to nothing and they are just that. They shot differen't and were no where near as accurate as the remington rounds I was using. Anyway if anyone can recommend some nice rounds I can use for target practicing @ 100 and 200 yards that would be great.

Thanks again for all the advice and thoughts.
Old March 16, 2006, 09:55 AM   #12
Mike in Michigan

Choosing the right ammo

Get an assortment of various ammos by brand and bullet weight. Stay away from the imported mil-crap, especially the steel cased stuff. The steel cases are murder on civilian extractors. Shoot of each ammo and let the target tell you which bullet brand/weight the rifle likes best. Also a good time to make up a range card to help make scope adjustments or corrections later. Ask questions, lots of questions from them what already knows. Glad to see a LEO that can admit gun related ignorance. Nobody knows everything and practice does make perfect.