The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old November 4, 2009, 09:24 PM   #1
Fallowt

M1 Carbine (Plainfield) Ammo feed problems

I bought a Plainfield M1 carbine that seemed in good shape. I was hoping to use it as a handy home defense gun. Most literature recommends using either a hollow point or soft point ammo for best effect. With the current ammo shortage, I invested in 40 rounds of Corbon DPX 100 grain JHP. It won't feed, it's not even CLOSE! The tip of the bullet just hits the barrel edge and stops. And this is not like it's just a little off, I mean it looks like even FMJ's wouldn't feed. Of course, I have no FMJ's to try, because they are all on backorder. I tried it with multiple magazines, no difference. I see that this rifle has a split feed ramp, right and left sides, with well over 1/8" of space between the top of the feed ramp and the barrel lip. I've never seen a firearm with a gap like that. I'd appreciate any advice on this rifle and ammo. It's not much good to me if it won't feed decent (or any!) ammo. :barf:
Old November 4, 2009, 09:52 PM   #2
jrothWA

Have a USGI, not a Plainfield,but..

should be similar.
Have you tried FMJ ammo to see if it feeds & cycles the empty?

Have you detailed the gas sytem for free moment?

do these two item and get 100% cycling with FMJ, then try the soft-nosed ammo. I minimized "stuttering" of soft-nosed ammo by smoothing/polishing the feed ramp. This seems to speed up the feeding round so it jumps into the chamber.

Given your "gap" and possibly a "sharp" edge on the barrel/chamber, maybe a slight breaking the edge, would help??

Keep us posted.
Old November 4, 2009, 11:48 PM   #3
Fallowt

Well, As I mentioned, the Corbon JHP (and admittingly it has a very-wide front to the bullet, as in "not-pointed") is all I have right now to test with.
There was NO WAY this round was going to chamber because the front of the bullet was just rammed dead about 2mm low of the lip of the barrel. There isn't any machining on the lower barrel breech to help feeding. It's just beveled a bit all around. I've polished a few feed ramps and barrels on other guns to help feeding problems, but we're WAY beyond the few thousandth's of an inch that can be resolved by that with this gun. There is a significant mechanical problem with the feed operation of this rifle, at least with the Corbon ammo in question. It seems to me that (mainly) the feed ramp doesn't go high enough and/or extend far enough forward to meet the lower lip of the barrel, or the barrel is not seated far enough into the receiver.

Last edited by Fallowt; November 5, 2009 at 12:15 AM.
Old November 5, 2009, 02:39 AM   #4
jrothWA

post your question on...

www.jouster.com, M1 carbine forum, should get answers there.

Can you reload some FMJ's??? Have a smith check headspace to insure barrel set right?

2mm about 0.085" possible to build-up ramp? "JB-Weld, RTV Silicon rubber??
Old November 5, 2009, 04:36 AM   #5
gyvel

Is it possible that the Corbon ammo was designed for use in the few handguns that chamber .30 Carbine? Just a thought.
Old November 5, 2009, 09:28 AM   #6
Fallowt

I've read that other shooters have M1 carbines that cycle the Corbon ammo OK, of course I don't know what brand of rifles they are using. I gave some of the Corbon ammo to a friend this morning to see if it will chamber in his carbine, I think he has a Winchester. I also posted my question on Culver's forums as recommended (thanks). Would an epoxy like JB-weld hold up to the scraping from the bullet tips? I know it's tough stuff, but I think I'd be concerned about flakes of it breaking off if I tried to build up the feed ramp or fill-in that ramp-barrel gap. Anyway, I appreciate the responses.
Old November 5, 2009, 09:47 AM   #7
tackdriver

I checked out my Inland a minute ago. I have a single feed ramp. Yours has a double ramp like in the ARs?
Either way, my chamber is beveled, but certainly does have the 2mm or so flat you're describing. If you can imagine, the bullet is fed out of the magazine up the feed ramp in a way that the little bevel in the chamber catches the front of a FMJ.

At the end of the day, the M1 carbine was not designed to feed hollow points. I wouldn't try JB Weld, either. With the heat, expansion and banging around of the carbine's action, all you'd have to do is have a piece break off to jam the mechanism. Or, what if a piece broke off into the chamber and you JB weld a round in there? You'd never get it right again if it didn't go ahead and kaboom on you.

I sleep just fine with mine loaded with FMJs, but I'd try soft-nose rounds if I could find some if I were you. I believe I've had some Winchesters like this backordered for about six months now. I don't even remember with whom.