The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 24, 2016, 02:35 PM   #1
oldscot3

Berdan cases

With the cost of brass being what it is, I'm glad I saved all my old berdan brass from years ago. I bought a tool to deprime them, but lost it in a move; I never have reprimed any.

I'm not interested in converting them to boxer, but wonder if anybody offers a service where you could send them and get them back resized and primed?

I thought about Quality Cartridge but it appears that their business is making oddball brass from parent cases and then applying the correct headstamp.
Old June 24, 2016, 03:30 PM   #2
overthere

What cartridges are you shooting? It would have to be something pretty exotic for it to be more economical to have it sent off to re-priming and sizing for each reload vs buying once-fired boxer brass and size/prime them yourself.
Old June 24, 2016, 04:47 PM   #3
Smoke & Recoil

The Berdan primers can be removed hydraulically too...by filling the case
with water, then insert a steel rod of proper diameter and striking the rod.

Ware glasses though.
Old June 24, 2016, 05:07 PM   #4
condor bravo

I have never heard of that Berdan prep service being available. To do it yourself, in addition to the removal tool that you lost, Berdan primers, slightly oversized to Boxer primers, are also required. I've read somewhere that they might be available from Graf & Sons but then you are looking at hazmat fees. If you are talking about common .308 cases for instance, check out www.oncefiredbrass.com for good pricing on once fired brass.
Old June 24, 2016, 05:52 PM   #5
oldscot3

8x57, 7.65x53, and 7.5 Swiss, all good FN and GP11 brass.

I think I need #5608 primers. I guess regular priming equipment will work. They're only very slightly larger in diameter but the cup is slightly more shallow. The usual suspects like Grafs don't have them.

I'll probably be hard pressed to beat the price of PPU brass.
Old June 25, 2016, 12:31 PM   #6
T. O'Heir

"...8x57, 7.65x53, and 7.5 Swiss, all good FN and GP11 brass..." All of which are readily available, at reasonable cost, with Boxer primers. Fiddling around with Berdan primed brass is not worth the excess effort and cost. IF you can find Berdan primers.
Make some drawer pulls and pitch the rest. Is really worth the drive to a scrap yard either.
Old June 26, 2016, 07:38 AM   #7
oldscot3

PPU is available at about .60 for brass and .90 for loaded ammo. That's what I'll do until I happen across berdan primers sometime, somewhere.

Currently the only source I can find that has them readily available is in Canada, which means ATF import forms in addition to hazmat charges. No thanks; my ocd impulses aren't that strong.