The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 23, 2016, 12:22 AM   #1
Machineguntony

Dillon 1050 priming system is making me mad

So after about 3 years of usage, my multiple Dillon 1050s are having priming problems.

The primer doesn't always drop from the priming tube. This means that a primer wouldn't feed, so in the next station, the powder drops onto a case that doesn't have a primer. So all the powder in the case spills out.

I called Dillon, and they sent me a new primer tip for the primer tube. Just right now, I ran the 1050 and it took me an hour to make 100 rounds of 9mm on my 9mm dedicated 1050. I still had the same primer problem.

This is also happening on my 223 dedicated 1050.

The new tips didn't help.

This problem didn't start up until about two weeks ago, and is happening on both machines.

Anyone have any ideas on what is causing this problem?
Old April 23, 2016, 05:37 AM   #2
stubbicatt

Dunno if this will help, but I glued a 230 grain bullet to the top "knob" of the plastic primer follower rod to cure a similar symptom on mine.

Oh, and periodically clean the primer slider, it accumulates a lot of stuff for some reason.
Old April 23, 2016, 06:59 AM   #3
dahermit

I have noticed that my primer pickup tubes to feed my Dillon 550b will get dirty and have to be cleaned from time to time to allow the smooth flow of primers through them. I clean them by pushing a clean Q-tip through them. I suspect that cleaning your primer feeding tube will take care of your feeding problem. Also, as posted before, I place a cup-shaped Lee cartridge case chamfer tool on top of the plastic primer follower rod to add just slightly more weight to the column of primers.
Old April 23, 2016, 07:09 AM   #4
jmorris

Since you have had them running 3 years without problems I am going to bet you have the knurled cap tightened too much and that is distorting the plastic tip and causing your problems.

If that is the case throw the one away you have on there now as its not going to get better, once its ruined, its ruined. While you have it off might clean the inside of the tube while you have it out and no tip on it.

I don't run them tight at all in fact the only thing that keeps the nut from further backing off is the low primer alarm.

While you have it empty clean everything off and make sure the little section of hose on the roll pin on the primer slide is still in good shape.

One last thing, you didn't happen to move the clamp on the primer tube blast shield? Its position is critical as well and once I find the sweet spot I mark the position on one side with a target paster.
Old April 23, 2016, 07:17 PM   #5

That's weird.

I have two 550s which I used for YEARS. Over 10 years. I loaded 10s of thousands of rounds with them.

This year I started having issues like you describe. Months later, the other one started doing the same thing.

I didn't change or adjust anything just prior to this issue. I have tried everything I can think of. Nothing has worked.
From behind each fence and farmyard wall,
Chasing the redcoats down the lane,
Then crossing the fields to emerge again
Under the trees at the turn of the road,
And only pausing to fire and load.
Old April 23, 2016, 09:15 PM   #6
9x45

OP, check with Dillon at BrianEnos.com
Old May 1, 2016, 06:34 AM   #7
mannyCA

Sounds like the primer tube housing or the primer slide is just dirty/streaky and would benefit from a teardown and cleaning. Unbolt it and wipe itdown. Check to make sure that little black rubber tube that slips over the rear of the primer slide is intact or maybe replace it, they're cheap and can be a source of irritation. Sounds like something simple. Oh, and double check the primer feed tube nipple is not cracked or crushed.