The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 21, 2016, 01:49 PM   #1
MurBob

Which powder to purchase

I don't plan on doing any reloading at the time, but if I ever did want to reload my own handgun ammo (9mm, 40cal) or my 308 rifle ammo, which black powder should I purchase? And would it work for shotgun ammo too?

I'm considering purchasing a supply of the stuff just to have around.

Thanks,
Old April 21, 2016, 01:52 PM   #2
throttleup

Powder to Purchase

Black Powder?? What are you talking about? Smokeless powder, maybe?
Old April 21, 2016, 01:57 PM   #3
MurBob

Which powder? Yes.. I shouldn't have said black..
Old April 21, 2016, 02:42 PM   #4
TfflHndn

Many handgun powders are also shotgun powders. Unique is very versatile, but doesn't meter well in many meters. The "Dot" powders are very good in both (Red Dot, Green Dot, Blue Dot, Clay Dot) as are HS-6, WST and WSF. Any of those that you can find will serve you pretty well. Can't speak to the .308.
Old April 21, 2016, 02:47 PM   #5
kerreckt

If, I could only have one powder it would be Unique.
Old April 21, 2016, 03:39 PM   #6
Average Joe

While there is no one powder for pistol, rifle and shotgun, Unique would be as close as you could get to one powder for all. Depending on bullet type, load type (shotgun) and velocity for each.
Old April 21, 2016, 03:49 PM   #7
FITASC

Jacks of all trades are masters of none; the same holds true for powders.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old April 21, 2016, 04:01 PM   #8
swmike

Forget having one powder for both Rifle and Handgun.

That said, for the calibers you listed I'd look at Power Pistol for the 9mm and 40 cal. For the .308 I'd keep a jug of IMR4064 around.

You can toss just about any bullet you want downrange with those two powders with great performance and accuracy.

If you plan on shooting other calibers resign yourself to adding some powder types because small rifle cases use different powders than large cased or magnum calibers as well as a host of other factors.

"In God we trust, all others are suspects."

"If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying, either I won't need any more, or more won't be of any help".

Old April 21, 2016, 05:02 PM   #9
MurBob

What happens if you use the wrong powder in the wrong shell?

Are we talking about poor performance or some kind of safety issue?
Old April 21, 2016, 05:09 PM   #10
Clark

Dozens of different powders would work for each, but if I had my way it would be:
IMR-4451 for 308
Power Pistol for 9mm and 40sw
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?
Old April 21, 2016, 05:31 PM   #11
emcon5

If you use rifle powder in you pistol, velocity will be low, and it probably won't cycle an autoloader, but I would think it wouldn't be unsafe.

If you use pistol powder in a rifle by accident, using a rifle recipe (for example, 45 grains of Bullseye instead of 4064, you will most likely damage or destroy your gun, and possibly hurt yourself.
Old April 21, 2016, 06:00 PM   #12
burrhead

Before you buy powder you need (REALLY NEED) a reloading manual. Read the whole thing, not just the data sections.

I'm offended by people that are easily offended.
Old April 21, 2016, 06:10 PM   #13
FITASC

And shotgun reloading is another reloading manual altogether. There are some powders that will work for handgun and shotgun (depending on what shotgun loads you are trying to make), so it is feasible to get down to two powders - one for your rifle and one for shotgun and handguns.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old April 21, 2016, 07:09 PM   #14
SHR970

MurBob Though powder stocks are coming back towards "normal" there are still many powders that are hard to get. During the shortage, many were IMPOSSIBLE to get.

Any advice based on 'use this powder' is worthless unless you can actually get that powder.

That said.

There are at least a dozen powders that would work well enough with the 9mm, 40, & either a 12 or 20 gauge. Well enough means that powder will cover all three or four as long as you are willing to deal with the compromises in projectile weight, composition, & velocity.

For your 308, there are several powders that fit the bill...again compromise is between projectile weight range, velocity, and possibly port pressure if using a semi auto.
Old April 21, 2016, 07:28 PM   #15
Dufus

Quote:
What happens if you use the wrong powder in the wrong shell?

Are we talking about poor performance or some kind of safety issue?
Very possible we would be holding a bomb in our hands.

That is why you need to do as suggested to buy a couple of good reloading manuals.....BEFORE you buy any supplies.

Please read up on the topics as there is lots of good lifesaving information in the manuals.
Old April 21, 2016, 07:49 PM   #16
1100 tac

Go to Amazon and order a copy of Lyman's 49th, And READ it. Loading is not hard, but there are things you need to know and understand.
Old April 22, 2016, 12:30 AM   #17
MurBob

Thanks for the replies...

Not as simple as I thought.. going to have to do some reading.
Old April 24, 2016, 03:39 PM   #18
RC20

Definitely do some reading.

If you have a bit box store (Cabella etc) near, take one of their classes.

Get one of the reloading books, I like Hornady and Sierra.

While the actually work is not complicated, doing it right requires a lot of dedication to process (doing it carefully and right and not mixing powders up)

Powders, bullets and even primers (pistol and rifle primers are not the same but they both come in the same large and small sizes.

I was at the range recently and saw the results of a bad load. The gun was destroyed, the scope came back and hit the guy in the mouth (5 teeth removed as I recall) one guy adjacent got hit by fragments. Barrel wound up 20 feet in front of the bench.

The top went sideways and back and fortunately no one was standing there or that could have been bad.

You can not only damage yourself (usually, but your eyes are involved so blind is not pretty) you can do the same to others.

This was a modern gun that should have vented and not blown up.
Old April 25, 2016, 06:35 AM   #19
Mike Irwin
Staff

The first book you should start with is the ABCs of Reloading.

It's an excellent primer.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old April 25, 2016, 11:47 AM   #20
mikld

Just a thought, but not recommending it you could theoretically use black powder in all the calibers you mention. Certainly performance won't be even close to smokeless, but all will prolly go bang and the bullets would leave the barrel. Perhaps a black powder cartridge reloader can step in with some real info?
Old April 25, 2016, 11:53 AM   #21
Mike Irwin
Staff

Yes, you could use black powder in all three cartridges.

HOWEVER, I'm not sure that I would want to try to load jacketed bullets in any of them. The .308, maybe (given that the British used jacketed bullets and black powder in their first iteration of the .303 British), but the two handgun rounds might present problems.

The cases simply might not be able to hold enough black powder to get a jacketed bullet down the bore. You might end up with a stuck bullet.

And, using black powder in a semi-auto handgun would probably result in having to cycle it by hand.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old April 25, 2016, 01:53 PM   #22
TimSr

It's not a matter of what powder to buy. It's a matter of sequence. Buy a good book on reloading first. Learn the overall concept before buying anything. The time to buy powder is when you are have learned enough and are ready to start loading. It's like buying a case of motor oil and a filter because your thinking about getting a driver's license and buying a car.
Old April 26, 2016, 09:09 PM   #23
Ifishsum

H4895 is one of the most versatile rifle powders, and Unique one the most versatile handgun powders. But once you start loading you won't want to limit yourself; while both of those are very versatile they are not always the best choice for many applications. Unique will work for shotgun ammo as well - mainly heavier hunting loads though.

Personally I wouldn't suggest buying any powder until you are ready to start loading though...yes some powders were tough to find during the shortage but that didn't last forever and powder does have a shelf life.