The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 23, 2002, 09:13 AM   #1
cjw

Please help a shotgun novice !

I own many handguns, but am looking to purchase my first shotgun. I have the chance to buy a used Ithaca 37 featherlite (26" 12 G) in 95 % condition. Is this a quality shotgun and is it worth $329 ? What makes it a "featherlite" (eg. non steel receiver) ?

Thanks!
Old October 23, 2002, 10:54 AM   #2
GKW

I would get an 870 express with a 28" bbl...

I would get the magnum (3" chamber), not the Super magnum (3.5" chamber). You can get them for real close to $200. I have one that I loaned to a friend for a back-up gun on a dove hunt in Argentina. Of course his gun broke immediately and mine ended up shooting almost 4000 rds in 4 days. If I showed it to you, you would never know it.
They don't have the gloss and polish, but they are inexpensive, reliable as can be, parts and accessories are everywhere, and I think they have good ergonomics.
If you want the 3.5", get an automatic. The recoil of 3" shells in a fixed-breach gun is bad enough. I can't imagine a 3.5"
Old October 23, 2002, 02:19 PM   #3
bamf

What are you going to be using this gun for? Defense? Clays? Hunting? All three?

For that amount of money, you can get a number of brand new pump guns...
Old October 23, 2002, 04:43 PM   #4
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

The Ithaca's an outstanding shotgun. It's a JMB design and lasts well nigh forever. While not my personal favorite, it's as good a pump as there is. The receiver is steel.

However, the price is on the high side for here and now.If it's high gloss and good wood, and tickles your fancy, go for it.

The Big Four are the Ithaca 37,the Mossberg 500, the Winchester 1300, and the Remington 870. Any of these will serve at least one generation of shotgunner nicely.

Most of these are available in a number of permutations for less than $300 for field models, HD models, etc. Not sure what baseline is on the Ithaca Homeland Defense model, the utility grade 37.

I suggest that you start frequenting a range and try out these and maybe the Benelli Nova, an import of good quality. Steer clear of other foreign guns. After handling and shooting these a bit, go with what FEELS best.

HTH...
Old October 23, 2002, 05:06 PM   #5
Al Thompson
Staff Alumnus

Price would not be too high down here - if it's in really good condition. The only other thing that really makes the 37 a great shotgun is if your left handed. Several southpaw friends have them for HD.