The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 22, 2005, 10:23 AM   #1
nin1974

Benelli NOVA, opinions??

how is this shotgun, what's the going price for it, i heard there's not alot of accessories for it...
please check my other thread for my uses
http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=182406
thanks
Old September 22, 2005, 08:58 PM   #2
cobra81

I've got a Nova

Had my Benelli Nova for about a year and a half; done quite a bit of clay shooting with it (until I got my Browning Citori)... it's a good gun if you don't mind it's clunkiness. I've never had a shell jam and it's cycled over 1000 rounds flawlessly. Paid $279 for it at Galyan's. I got the black; camo was about $329. I've never had any desire to add any aftermarket accessories to it, but come to think of it, I've never seen many offered. Overall, the Nova is a great gun for the money.
Old September 23, 2005, 12:29 PM   #3
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

It's an OK shotgun. The triggers need work, the stock is not easily adapted to shorter or longer pulls, and it rattles.

It's reliable, durable and handles all common ammo.

If it fits you, sure.

But shoot some 870s first before buying...
Old September 23, 2005, 02:15 PM   #4
dgludwig

I've owned a Nova for a couple of years and have had no problems with it. The action is very smooth but boy, in my eyes, it is ugly. Yes, it rattles some but so do most other pumps-including those 870s .
Be advised of one idiosyncrasy associated with the Nova: when installing a "side-saddle" type spare ammo carrier, be careful not to over-tighten the screws. The Nova's receiver will flex/distort if too much torque is applied, causing the trigger group to come out of alignment with the bolt/firing pin, resulting in a failure to fire.
Old September 23, 2005, 03:29 PM   #5
Bonstrosity

I own a nova and an M1

I usually shoot the m1 and find the nova to be kind of akward to shoot. It's very weirdly shaped. make sure it fits you well and you like the feel of it before you buy it. Don't get me wrong benelli makes great guns it's just a different one.
Old September 23, 2005, 03:56 PM   #6

I like mine. It feeds ANYTHING well, which fit my one shotgun needs well. Smooth action, ok trigger (good enough for what I use it for), and extremely durable. I bought mine many years ago when they first came out. I went through a difficult time a few years ago, ended up putting it away dirty for almost two years. Cleaned up perfect, whereas a few of my other guns that were clean and oiled had some surface rust. Even a couple stainless ones!!
Try shooting some 3 1/2 inch 00 magnum buckshot rounds through it. Not fun, but something neat about a gun that can unleash 18 00 pellets!

Ronald Reagan
Old September 25, 2005, 01:41 AM   #7
nin1974

btt
Old September 25, 2005, 01:51 AM   #8
Trip20

I love mine. Someone above said they don't like the trigger, I haven't noticed anything wrong with mine. I don't expect it to be tuned like a custom 1911 though... I mean, it's a $300 shotgun.

I bought it because it was a Benelli (trust the brand), that was extremely affordable (for a NIB pump), and I actually think it looks very nice. I read somewhere that it uses the same rotating bolt technology that Benelli's autoloaders use. Chrome-Lined barrel to boot. Came with a few chokes as well. I even like the orange front site.

And, I haven't shot many pumps where the forestock wasn't a little rattly. It's not like the thing is going to come off in your hand.

As other stated... you can't get a new stock for it as it's stock/receiver is all one molded piece. But I got lucky and the gun fit me perfectly. It shoulders and points dead on for me.

Reliability and speed are the hallmarks of Benelli shotguns. Any standard 12 Gauge shell, 2 3/4 - inch, 3 - inch, to the most powerfull 3 1/2 - inch magnums will function dependably and reliabily. I used it all season for trap this year, about 75rnds/week for the entire season - not a hiccup.

You can take this gun apart in seconds. You can also put it together in about the same amount of time. An absolute breeze to clean. This was a nice surprise when I broke it down and cleaned it after taking it home.

Before I bought mine, I did the exact same thing your doing - I was all over the net reading about it. I met with a bunch of positive reviews, from both gun rags that you have to take with a grain of salt, and with actual nova owners on boards such as this. There are plenty of people who'll tell you to get an 870 instead, and you can't go wrong there either. But I've always like Benelli, so I had to give this a try. Now, my 870 doesn't get used as much anymore. Not because the nova is "better"... just because it fits me a little better.