The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 24, 2001, 10:54 AM   #1
9mmMike

What's the deal with this Monte Carlo stock?

Well,
I got another 870 (I could stop if I wanted to Doc.) and it came with a Monte Carlo stock and a 20" rifle sighted barrel.
I can not get close to looking through the rear site with that blasted stock. Is this a match made in heck?
I am going to start shopping for a 26" - 30" vent ribbed barrel with a modified choke to put on this new SG and use it for killing clays. Is this the true calling for that MC stock?
Mike
IF YOU LIVE IN PA AND DID NOT VOTE, YOU DESERVE TO LOSE YOUR GUNS!
Old October 24, 2001, 11:28 AM   #2
Bud1

Monte Carlo stocks keep the stock parallel to the bore (a good thing), but usually do not have enough pitch to keep your pattern at 50/50. High pitched MC stocks are favored by trapshooters, who like 60/40 and even 70/30 patterns for rising, going away targets.

You may be able to change your sight picture by adding spacers to the buttstock, but it may require a bit more downward pitch to get to where it is comfortable and hitting where you want it.

A decent stockmaker can easily bend your stock downward if you do not want to increase the length of pull. Stock bending usually runs around $60 or so, and can be well worth it.

I can e:mail you some specifics on how to measure the amount of pitch/cast needed on a stock if you are interested. It takes a little time on a patterning board, but tells you exactly what adjustments are needed to bring your point-of-impact right where you want it.

Bud
Old October 24, 2001, 02:39 PM   #3
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Mike, the top of my MC trap stock presses against the bottom of my cheek bone, thus making a consistent mount.With my long neck and wide face, it takes an adjustable pad adjusted all the way to get the butt where it belongs.

Lots of upland hunters like a high pattern, including me. The game stays visible and the pattern is where a rising bird would be. IMO, a 60/40 setup is close to optimum on a hunting shotgun, and essential for trap. On a pure D Handicap gun, I'd want maybe 70/30 or more. Dialing in a little elevation for those long shots makes sense.Shooting a high shooting shotgun takes very little getting used to.

IMO, MC stocks are the cat's pajams for SOME folks, but not a universal good thing.
Old October 24, 2001, 05:22 PM   #4
9mmMike

Thanks guys,
I did sort of add a spacer. I put the slip-on Uncle Mike's (no relation) recoil pad that I took off of my other 870 (replaced with Pachmayr decelerator) onto the MC stock and it added about 5/8" to the length.
This worked OK but I still can not get my eye down to that rear site. What I need to do is pattern the dern thang. I sure wish I could get a longer barrel before this weekend's TFL shoot at Water & Wings. I hope to take both 870's and pattern them this weekend, work permitting.
Thanks again,
Mike
IF YOU LIVE IN PA AND DID NOT VOTE, YOU DESERVE TO LOSE YOUR GUNS!
Old October 24, 2001, 06:51 PM   #5
K80Geoff

I bought a Remington 870 express years ago with one of those monte carlo stocks. Eventually threw it away and put on plastic furniture. I couldn't shoot the damn thing either!

Too short and too high! And ugly to boot. The black plastic looks sexier.

Geoff Ross