The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 19, 2001, 01:58 PM   #1
Rob96

I didn't get the 590 or the Norinco 98, but.....

I did pick up a Remington 870 Express Magnum with 18.5" barrel and factory installed +2 extension for $279. We took it out to the range and ran a box of Federal slugs and 90 rounds of Remington Hi Velocity Game loads in 71/2 shot size thru it. Man, what smooth shooting shotgun. Really impressed with how tight the group was shooting the slugs using the bead front sight. After shooting it, I knew I didn't go wrong. With the plus 2 extension, whats the best way to put a sling on this gun?
Old October 19, 2001, 02:33 PM   #2
9mmMike

Congrats on the 870!
I have a CQB sling on my 870 with the Wilson hanger that goes under the cap/extension and puts the sling on the left side.
I do not like it. The sling can easily get in the way of a rapid aquisition of the pump. It would be a nice setup for a semi though. Anyone want to try it?
I am going to try to put a sling on with a swivel that attaches to the factory extension/barrel clamp. I think that this will have less of a chance to get in the way. We'll see.
Mike
IF YOU LIVE IN PA AND DID NOT VOTE, YOU DESERVE TO LOSE YOUR GUNS!
Old October 19, 2001, 03:19 PM   #3
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Congrats and Mazeltov, Rob. Most of the clamps sold to unite the extension and bbl are set up for a stud, some on the side, some on the bottom. Pick whatever suits you.

Maybe the guys that know more than I on the tactical slings will weigh in here.

And if you think that thing is smooth now, prepare for a pleasant surprise after a few thousand shells through it(G)...
Old October 19, 2001, 04:00 PM   #4
jthuang

I do not use a tactical sling on my HD shotgun but I find that the side-mounted sling option is useful for the sling not getting in the way of your weaponlight!

Justin
Old October 19, 2001, 11:00 PM   #5
Mo_Zam_Beek

Nice purchase on the gauge Rob! I hope you have lots of fun with it - an 870 will serve you well for many years to come. Now go get yourself 200 rnds of skeet loads and give it a work out tomorrow.
Old October 21, 2001, 02:22 PM   #6
MiniZ

Good choice!! It will not dissapoint.

Zane
Old October 21, 2001, 10:23 PM   #7
fireals

Congrats Rob96.

I just bought the exact same 870 yesterday. Got out on the farm today and had the same experience. Mine also shot GREAT groups and to point of aim w/ slugs @ 50 yds. I was very supprised and happy.

I was planning to have it threaded for choke tubes. It's shooting so good I may pass on that. Still would like the option of a tighter choke on occasion,, decisions,, decisions.

Ed
Old October 21, 2001, 11:36 PM   #8
8200 rpm

Right on, Rob96!

I bought that same smoothbore couple months ago. I love it.

I went skeet shooting a couple times with it. Man, is that fun; especially when you end up busting more clays than the guys using fancy O/U's.

Try it some time, you'll be hooked!