The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 18, 2013, 04:55 PM   #1
dakin

.28 Guage 1 oz. loading help

I have loaded STS and Estate shells with 3/4 oz of lead for years with 13.5 gr of Clays Universal, WIN 209 and WAA28 wads with great success. Recently I bought some Fiocchi primed hulls and 1 oz Magnum 28 wads from Ballistic Products. I also bought some Hodgdon Lil Gun at Ballistic Products suggestion. BP data says with these Fiocchi hulls and primer that 23.5 gr of Lil Gun will give me 1200 fps at 12,000 PSI. That is the load I am looking for. I am loading with a MEC Sizemaster. I set it up today to experiment. I loaded the powder, wad and 1 oz of lead on thru the initial crimp station and all looks great. I slide it across and pull down the final crimp, the crimp looks like I tried to do it by hand (just terrible). I have never had to adjust my final crimp before (nor the wad pressure). I loaded only 3 shells and after seeing that they were all equally bad I decided to join this forum and solicit some help. I saw some postings pertaining to relaoding .28 ga. after I Googled this topic and came to Firing Line for some sage advise. Thanks for any help anyone might offer. DPA
Old February 18, 2013, 08:08 PM   #2
BigD_in_FL

Without a pic, your statement about how terrible it is doesn't give us enough info to help. Post a pic or two - it may mean thew final crimp needs adjustment, or maybe the precrimp
Old February 19, 2013, 10:59 AM   #3
dakin

28 gauge crimp picture

Will take a couple this evening and try to post.

How do I post a picture? I just realized that I have no idea how to do it.
Old February 19, 2013, 11:15 AM   #4
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Posting pictures...

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=292842