The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 11, 2005, 02:23 PM   #1
arthurrh

.338 - which do you like?

I'm planning on building a .338 for long distance hunting. Define long distance as 700 - 1500 yards for what I want to do. Bye bye little prairie dog.

I'm leaning toward the non-belted cartridges, and I'd have to say that my list in order of probable preference would be:

.338 Lapua
.330 Dakota
.338 Remington Ultra Mag

Anyone have experience shooting/loading these rounds? I plan on reloading and the rifle will be built on a custom Mauser 98 long action (currently a .300 RUM) with an approx 30" Lilja barrel.
Old January 11, 2005, 04:37 PM   #2
dfaugh

At those ranges

ya gotta think Lapua

"No one has the answer, but one thing is true.
You'e got to turn on evil, when its coming after you.
You've gotta face it down,and when it tries to hide,
you've got to go in after it, and never be denied.
Time is running out...Let's roll.
Let's roll for freedom, let's roll for love.
We're going after satan, on the wings of a dove.
Let's roll for freedom, let's roll for truth.
Let's not let our children grow up fearful in their youth."
Old January 18, 2005, 07:29 PM   #3
osirus101

Im with dfaugh
Old January 18, 2005, 08:07 PM   #4
bill k

Why is your choice a 338 not say a 300 Ulta or Winchester mag?
Old January 18, 2005, 10:16 PM   #5
arthurrh

Well the gun I'm planning on converting is currently a .300 Ultra mag, but it's only got a 22 inch barrel, which to me is kind of silly for such a big load. So I was thinking about what a nice BC you get from the .338 and since I need to rebarrel anyway, why not move up in the world.

Plus I kind of just want a .338. But if you have some interesting things to say about the .300, feel free to convince me.
Old January 18, 2005, 10:54 PM   #6
bill k

My friends asked me why I got a 338 Bar vrs a 7 mm Bar. I told them, because I already had a 7mm, why have two of the same caliber.
I just asked because I just got a 300 Ultra mag to do the same thing as you, except the 1000 yard thing. I can't see that far so why bother. My only reasons for the 300 ultra mag were, because I wanted one (you said the same thing) and less drop at longer ranges, 2 inches at 600 yards I agree it's not that big of deal.
My gunsmith also recommended a thirty caliber. His argument was you can go with a heavier bullet which helps at the longer ranges, also more bullet choices. Comparing the ballistic coefficients I went with the 30 cal.
Old January 18, 2005, 11:12 PM   #7
arthurrh

Interesting, I see that the difference in BC isn't as high as I thought. I guess I need to look up velocities for those loads. Right now I'm on the road so I don't have access to all my manuals. But I see that the Sierra Matchking 300 grain 338 has a BC of 768, and the 240 grain 300 has a BC of .711, so maybe it's worth a look.
Old January 18, 2005, 11:29 PM   #8
bill k

Ya learn something new everyday. I saw your message and went hugh. I just saw them in my sierra catalog, didn't even know they made them. If you get the ballistics and muzzel velosity on both of them (300, 338) message me ok? I checked all my manuals and none go that high.
Old January 19, 2005, 08:23 PM   #9
Robert M Boren Sr

We have been looking at this same issue in our house. For one you can only do so much with a 30 cal bullet. I will have my next project be a 338 rum. Why, how about 5000 + flbs of energy at the muzzle, and 2500 at 600 yds. That's with the book. And us reloaders all know we can do better than the books. The key words here are hunting and long rane. So you have to look at energy that carries out to and past those ranges. 338 is a great caliber and there are some excellent bullet choices out there. The best energy that I have found with the 300 rum is 3400 at the muzzle. You want to see something awsome look at the 338-378 weatherby mag. 5500 ftlbs of energy. Run the ballistics, you'll see I'm right. One other thing what consitutes long range? If you have the right tools I wouldn't take anything over 600 yrds. I've set a 400 yrd limit with my 06 even though I've done a lot of practice at 1000 yrds and know my rifle like the back of my hand, But, I will not shoot a big game animal at 1000 yrds, to much can go wrong no matter what caliber. That's just my opinion. Good luck on your new project, I know you'll have great fun putting it together.
Old January 27, 2005, 01:36 PM   #10
wyatttt

I would have to agree with the 338 decision over the 30. I have shot both at long distance and the single greatest factor in favor of the 338 is bullet weight. A 30 caliber bullet is simply not capable of resisting outside/ambient forces as well as 338, assuming similar BCs. I shot the 300 Weatherby for several thousand rounds before moving to the 338-378. Both have similar accuracy potential and are capable of extremely high velocities. However, out past 600 yrds the thing that matters most is retained energy and resistance to drift, both of which are functions of bullet weight at that given velocity. Both bullets will drift, but the heavier one will drift less, hold its velocity longer and deliver its energy more efficiently. My next 1000 yrd gun will be centered around the Lapua.

Regarding the hunting.....I have to agree with Robert. We have a responsibility to provide the big game animal with a clean and humane end. I would think that most people with real long range experience will tell you that the first shot at long range, on a cold barrel and in varying conditions is a question mark.
Old February 14, 2005, 08:50 PM   #11
Harry Bonar

re-338?

Dear Shooter:
Pardon me, I don't mean to be disrespectful but NO ONE hits prarie dogs at 700 to 1500 yards!

Harry B.
At least I don't!