The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old March 25, 2002, 08:54 AM   #1
Eric Larsen

HELP...Touch up home blueing

I am wondering what the best product/technique for touch up blueing..just parts of slides, like holster wear points? Or should
I just get the whole slide redone by someone who comes highly recommended? Thanks for the help...shoot well

If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice......Rush
Old March 25, 2002, 01:53 PM   #2
mryan1

Home bluing

I have used Brownells Oxpho-Blue and their 44/40 with success on various older firearms. You can get one each in the smallest bottles for about $20 for both and see which one works best for you.
www.brownells.com or 641-623-4000
Old March 28, 2002, 06:12 PM   #3
James K
Member In Memoriam

Unless you are planning to sell the gun to someone with a bad cold (buyers can detect the odor of cold blue), my recommendation is to forget it. The blue will only wear off again, in the same place, and spotty cold blue looks a lot worse than honest holster wear.

Jim
Old April 12, 2002, 11:23 PM   #4
Goldcoins

New Gun Blue Product

I saw a product at Shot Show 2002 that might be of interest in this discussion. It was called Blue Wonder Gun Blue. The demo was very intersting. It gave a great finish without the odor you mentioned above. They claimed it would wear like a dipped blue as well.

Does anybody have any feedback on this? Their website is www.novumsolutions.com.
Old April 13, 2002, 02:33 PM   #5
Walt Sherrill

Re: Jim Keenan's comments about cold bluing wearing off quickly.

George Stringer first recommended Ox-pho Blue to me several years ago, and I've found that it is substantially better than other cold blues.

I took an old shooter Luger that was in pretty sad shape, stripped it down to white, and redid it with Ox-pho Blue. I'd defy you to tell it from an older Luger's factory blue (I had one of those too, and they were almost indistinquishable.) And it has proved to be as durable as factory bluing. But I put a LOT of thin coats on.

That has NOT been my experience with other brands of cold bluing -- which were, at best temporary recoloring.

Surface preparation is critical, and George suggested applying it in very thin applications, with almost-dry cotton balls. (I used cleaning patches.)

Worked for me.