The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old July 30, 2015, 08:01 AM   #1
Pond, James Pond

What if there were a blog for gun owners to share their experiences?

All the recent threads about the gun debate gave me an idea along the lines of something I've long believed: there is value in dispersing the myths by giving the firearms community a face.... of sorts.

So I wondered if anyone had ever thought to set up a blog/site where gun owners could describe themselves, to a point, so as to show that not all gun owners are extreme or paranoid or that guy who lost it on P. Morgan's show or whatever the harmful stereotype is supposed to be.

Now, I don't mean divulging personal, identifying info, but imagine a site where gun owners could say:

"I am a X yrs old married, mother of two with a degree and a career in public relations living in blah-blah county, so-n-so Sate. We own a rifle and a handgun. I have twice felt I might need to draw my gun, once in a parking lot at night, once when a stranger was standing at my screen door but have never had to, thankfully"

Or

"I am a X yrs old single man who enjoys scuba-diving and is studying philosophy. I live in Blah-blah city. I own several handguns and shoot in competitions. I got my concealed carry licence at 21 and have once needed to draw my weapon during at attempted car-jacking. The assailant was caught and imprisoned. I was shaken but unharmed."

I'd hope there are people who might see it and think: "hang on! I'm also a married mother of two", or "I'm a young cosmopolitan intellectual too".

People who are not firearms owners need to understand that those who are, are not a different species or facet of society but often just like everyone else.

If the information didn't detail who contributors were and what they actually own, but gave enough of an image for other to relate, could that not help open minds?
Old July 30, 2015, 11:14 AM   #2
g.willikers

The people that you would most like to go there, to dispel their fears of gun owners, probably never would.
A blog like that wouldn't be on their radar.
Old July 30, 2015, 11:57 AM   #3
Pond, James Pond

Not those we'd most like, but perhaps some who are undecided, and know it. Perhaps people who are open-minded enough to explore both sides of the argument for themselves.

Fence-sitters whose support would be great if you could get it. I just feel this is one way to get that support. The firearms community needs to be proactive and creative, not complacent and reactionary.... Sometimes it is, sometimes not.
Old July 30, 2015, 02:20 PM   #4
hartcreek

For many years here we Had Charleston Heston and I seriously doubt that anyone could top that.
Old July 30, 2015, 02:31 PM   #5
Pond, James Pond

OK, but now you don't and I feel that rather than having one figurehead to rally behind, everyone should be getting stuck in. One way or another... This seems like a way.

Last edited by Pond, James Pond; July 30, 2015 at 02:36 PM. Reason: sorting my compound nouns