The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 30, 2013, 10:22 PM   #1
JMILLER

#7 auto polish

I've been told that #7 auto polish can be added to
corncob media and it does a good job.
Can anyone tell me if this is correct?
Old May 30, 2013, 10:26 PM   #2
noylj

Most any fine abrasive can be added.
Why, is shiny that important?
Old May 31, 2013, 01:30 AM   #3
medalguy

Never tried #7 but I think you'll find most people use NuFinish polish and it DOES work very well. Just a capful for a normal tumbler load, and add a few cut-up dryer sheets to pull the dirt and crud out of the mixture.
Old May 31, 2013, 06:51 AM   #4
WESHOOT2

Dillon Rapid Polish works great.

Recommend.
Old May 31, 2013, 07:42 AM   #5
jcwit

Quote:
Most any fine abrasive can be added.
Why, is shiny that important?
Most any auto cleaner wax/polish will work just fine, the deal with the auto polishes is they add a wax/polish to the brass to retard tarnishing.

Why, is shiny that important? Probably not really, but then its of little importance washing my car as to how it runs, or how I dress when leaving the house to shop, but in both these cases I try to make myself as presentable as possible.

Shiney reloads are just an extension of the pride I take in my equipment.
Old June 1, 2013, 01:11 AM   #6
JMILLER

Good answer jcwit on the'shiny'.
Old June 1, 2013, 12:35 PM   #7
TXGunNut

I've used Dillon and Hornady and a few other polishes. DuPont #7 is fine too. I don't often wash my car, iron my clothes or always clean my guns but I always like a nice shine on my cases. Looks nice and in the case of an autoloader makes them easy to find.
My favorite recipes start out with a handful of used wheelweights.
Old June 2, 2013, 08:53 AM   #8
WESHOOT2

tested MANY; ended with one

I use and recommend Dillon Rapid Polish because of all the other things it does equally or better than 'the rest', it is the absolute BEST at preventing tarnishing from long storage ('cause I may not get to them clean shiny cases for many many years).

I normally store my clean shiny cases in lidded plastic coffee cans.
Old June 7, 2013, 10:57 AM   #9
tnew

I have found that if they are really dirty and tarnished to soak them in vinegar for about a half hour. I then rinse and dry under a fan before I put them in the tumbler. After an hour in the tumbler with some Nufinish they are like new inside and out. Even the primer pocket is shiney. Just make sure to get all the vinegar off. I put a batch in the tumbler still wet and it turned the brass black.

Last edited by tnew; June 7, 2013 at 11:09 AM.
Old June 7, 2013, 12:22 PM   #10
Doyle

Nu Finish car polish - works great, is cheap, and won't weaken brass the way acidic based polishes (like vinegar) will.
Old June 7, 2013, 10:31 PM   #11
TXGunNut

I happen to know that when Dallas PD used a cement mixer to clean 38 Spcl brass they had a can of DuPont #7 nearby. Most of the polishes I use came along since then but they had some shiny brass back then.
My favorite recipes start out with a handful of used wheelweights.
Old June 8, 2013, 04:25 AM   #12
Bamashooter

I also use nufinish with my corncob media with very good results.
Old June 8, 2013, 11:21 AM   #13
Unclenick
Staff

Note that DuPont made both #7 White Polishing Compound and #7 Auto Polish and Cleaner in the past. Today they still make the first product, but #7 Auto Polish is its own different brand and may be the same or an unrelated product. I can't tell, and I don't know for sure which one the OP is referring to?

In the case of the first item, above, it can be mixed with mineral spirits and dispersed in the corncob that way. If you want economy, though, just pick up a 5 lb bag of diatomaceous earth at the garden center for about the same price as a bottle of polish. It's sold as a mechanical insecticide that works by scuffing the wax coating off bugs, allowing them to dessicate, but it is harmless to people and has been used as a toothpaste polish in the past. The bag I bought says "food grade", if that's any comfort. It's apparently used as a filler. Mix a slurry with mineral spirits and dispense in the corncob.

The main reason to polish cases, for me, is so I can find them in the grass more easily than darkened cases, which camouflage themselves better. The only exception is nickel-plated cases, which reflect the color of grass with enough fidelity that they disappear even more completely than tarnished brass does. I avoid the shine preservers in rifle brass. I always fear they will affect bullet pull consistency, though I've not done an experiment to prove it one way or the other.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old June 16, 2013, 09:41 AM   #14
tech135

How often do you add Nu Finish?
Do you deprime first?
Old June 16, 2013, 10:46 AM   #15
jcwit

For an average size "whatever that is" tumbler I suggest a teaspoon or capful of Nu-Finish. Run it for 5 or 10 minutes to disperse the Nu-Finish in the media. This will be plenty for many many uses, when it seems to take longer to polish the cases add another teaspoon of polish.

This is one of those cases where less is more.

Yes, I always deprime before tumbling, in fact I also resize before tumbling, and yes I do this in 2 different steps.
Old June 16, 2013, 11:22 AM   #16
Hundy

Nu-Finish

I use also use Nu-Finish polish. I got the idea right here. As far as for shiny. I guess (no data to back up) it is better for the dies. I have the carbide dies, so I don't lube the cases. I think (again no data to back up) that the shiny clean brass would be easier on them, versus non shiny brass. No data necessary for this one, my second reason would be pride. I enjoy making my reloads look just like new or better.

Good luck

Jay